PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Jap PSP > 2.0

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 18:54
Hi.

I have a Jap PSP which is 1.5 and has not previously been upgraded. I purchased a copy of GTA today and it informs me that I am required to upgrade the firmware, problem is that I can find many locations for the version 2.0 upgrade for the USA PSP but none for the Jap PSP.

On Sony Japans web site it appears to just give a download link for the current version 2.6 but no download for 2.0.

I was wondering if on a Jap v1.5 PSP I can upgrade to the USA or UK v2.0 or if someone could point me in the direction of the Jap 2.0 firmware?

I would prefer to upgrade to 2.0 rather than any other version so that I can downgrade back to 1.5 so that the rest of my homebrew works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SoCal
December 26th, 2005, 19:35
With the game UMD inserted in your PSP you should see a upgrade icon just below the umd game icon. Selecting that will upgrade you to 2.0 and I can confirm that once you upgrade to 2.0 you can downgrade back to 1.50. :D

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 19:57
Thanks four reply. Can you please confirm that upgrading to 2.0 using GTA (Pal version) is ok on a (1.5) Japanese PSP?

Thanks again.

SoCal
December 26th, 2005, 20:13
Thanks four reply. Can you please confirm that upgrading to 2.0 using GTA (Pal version) is ok on a (1.5) Japanese PSP?

Thanks again.

Sorry I can not confirm that exactly. I have a 1.5 USA version PSP and upgraded using a region 1 GTA game UMD. I would think that it should not matter though. If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and do the upgrade but that's totally your decision of course. Oh and here's the Jap 2.0 firmware.

2.0 Eboot JP (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/6)

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 20:52
Ok, thanks for the link m8. Will give it a go now :D

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 21:00
Downloaded the update to the a folder inside my memory card within my Game folder on my memory card but when I try and run the update, the PSP reboots and then the screen comes back on but with the X and O at the bottom but no text.

Any ideas?

SoCal
December 26th, 2005, 21:29
That is strange. I just downloaded the 2.0 JP Eboot from the link I posted and it goes to the update screen just fine.

Did you put the Eboot file in a folder called "UPDATE" inside the PSP/Game folder? If you did then it should work. The x at the bottom of the screen that you see is to start the upgrade. Did you try pushing the x button on your PSP?

Sorry I have no other suggestions except you may try downloading the file again. Also make sure you have plenty of free space on your memory stick.

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 21:46
Yeah, copied it to the folder you mentioned, but it appears with no text. Will try hitting the X button and see what happens. Daredn't do it before as I didn't know which option was which.

SoCal
December 26th, 2005, 21:55
Pushing the x button was a question not a suggestion. I would think that the upgrade on the GTA disk would be a far safer way to go. I really believe that using the game disk will work for you. :)

bill00000
December 26th, 2005, 22:03
Do a hard reset on your PSP. Hold the power switch for 10 seconds, and try it again after you boot your psp. I had the same issue.

AP0ll0UK
December 26th, 2005, 22:44
Tried that but unfortunately it still does the same thing with the Japanese 2.0 and the GTA 2.0 on the UMD. Seems to go to a screen with X and O at the bottom but no text or options.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

SoCal
December 26th, 2005, 23:10
I'm really grasping at straws now but what if you reset your PSP to it's default settings in the system settings menu. Also just to be sure: You are unzipping the downloaded Eboot file before putting it in the update folder, right?

AP0ll0UK
December 27th, 2005, 02:08
Resetting to default settings and then restarting the PSP and running the update worked perfectly! Can play GTA now, thanks for all your help guys :D:D:D

SoCal
December 27th, 2005, 02:22
Great! It sure is nice when things go right. Glad I was able to help. Adding to my reputation would be appreciated. :D

AP0ll0UK
December 27th, 2005, 09:15
Done. Thanks again m8 :D