PDA

View Full Version : Help: Browser Problem

NUFC_4_EVA
January 1st, 2006, 20:47
Sorry if this topic has been posted somewhere else.
I have recently had a wireless router installed to the computer i own so now there is wireless internet in my house which my brother uses for his laptop.

I have attempted to get my PSP to work with this also but unluckily cannot, i believe that i have entered in all the details correctly, with the router being recognised, but the problem is when it is doing the internet test after quite a while with the message "obtaining the IP" an error message appears diplaying "Error Failed to obtain IP". I have entered the WEP encryption code and this is what happens and i am not sure what else i can do to get this to work. I have a print out from my computers router settings displaying nothing much else other than the WEP key so possibly there is more information i need to enter in?

I have a Jap PSP currently FW version 2.0
Any help with this topic greatly appreciated
Thanks again
NUFC ;)

MGFox
January 1st, 2006, 22:01
With my knowledge of Wireless Networking being only as much as I needed to setup my own network...I'll try and help!

1) Make sure that you have entered the WEP Key correctly, there should be a choice of four, otherwise its probably a WPA Key!

2) Is your Wireless Router setup to act as a DHCP server? or does your brothers laptop have a static IP?

3) Does the Router have IP blocking enabled? so it is only accepting your brothers IP or MAC

4) I don't if it makes a difference, but what WiFi protocol is the Router using? Mine can only do 802.11b (the slowest transfer rate), if yours is more modern and using something like 802.11g maybe the PSP cannot recognise it...but I really don't know WiFi protocols the PSP can use, I would have thought it could easily handle g!?!

Hopefully someone else will provide some more educated advice!

Cheers,
Fox