PDA

View Full Version : Can't access home wireless

sxboy
January 7th, 2006, 11:24
I have got wireless internet at home, have scanned for connection on my PSP, found it but it won't let me connect.

The SSID name is correct, and i have input the WEP code into my PSP but still nothing happens. (it times out on finding IP address)

I have tried taking the WEP protection off via right clicking the signal strength icon in bottom right hand corner, going to properties and deselectin WEP password but when I do that, I lose all internet signal.

I have been told by a few people that i need to allow the PSP's MAC address to access the signal from my routers admin panel (D-Link Router), and they say that the panel can be found by typeing in a code in Internet Explorer but when I type it in, nothing happens.

Do I have to "hardwire" the router to my PC to be able to access the admin panel?? And where do I find the admin panel after that???

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kev

Skye
January 7th, 2006, 19:40
If you want to access the admin panel your best bet would be to plug an extra ethernet cable from your network card into the router in one of the ports. They are usually marked in numbers from 1-4 depending on how many ports your wireless router has.

To access the router admin panel after completing the steps above open up your webbrowser and type in the address bar "192.168.1.1" without the quotation marks, it should load and a password dialog box should open. The user should be "admin" (without the quotes) and the pass should be blank. If that doesn't work the pass should be "admin" as well as the user. That should get you to the admin panel.

Do you have a wired router in addition to your wireless router?
You should also probably visit the D-Link website for detailed instructions.

tsurumaru
January 8th, 2006, 00:04
If you want to access the admin panel your best bet would be to plug an extra ethernet cable from your network card into the router in one of the ports. They are usually marked in numbers from 1-4 depending on how many ports your wireless router has.

To access the router admin panel after completing the steps above open up your webbrowser and type in the address bar "192.168.1.1" without the quotation marks, it should load and a password dialog box should open. The user should be "admin" (without the quotes) and the pass should be blank. If that doesn't work the pass should be "admin" as well as the user. That should get you to the admin panel.

Sorry to pitch in but shouldn't the router's IP address be 192.168.0.1?

sxboy
January 8th, 2006, 10:39

I have not got a wired router. Just the wireless one that is downstairs.

I have contacted D-Link through their website but am still awaiting a response. I will try out what you said though.

Will try what you said with BOTH IP addresses!!!

embryonose
January 9th, 2006, 20:05
I had exactly the same problem. I use a netgear wireless router which was registering the psp but would time out before it connected to an ip address. after advice i checked the connection name and ssid was right. I use a wep security and after i entered it as the 26 digit code was able to connect to the internet straight away.
I appreciate you may not have the same problem but it is possible to connect wirelessly without the need of an ethernet cable

Skye
January 11th, 2006, 11:05
Sorry to pitch in but shouldn't the router's IP address be 192.168.0.1?

Yes, sorry about that. =D

I would also try removing your WEP password, as some psp's have problems connecting to routers like that.

csalvage
January 22nd, 2006, 19:40
i disabled my firewall and got connected ok, then i used windows xp firewall this is now woking great, i was using blueyonders pcguard hope this helps.

Xan
January 22nd, 2006, 20:32
Check if your router is in G-Only Mode.
PSP has B WiFi type.
Most devices uses G WiFi Type.
When the B device is in network with G devices the bandwith gets cuted down so some routers just ignore all B device too keep up nice signal strenght.
You will be able to turn off G-Only Mode in router controls.
I hope this helps.

sxboy
January 28th, 2006, 20:18
Thanks for all your help guys.

Will attempt all suggestions on my next set of days off.

Kev

Alex Atkin UK
February 6th, 2006, 11:20
Also bear in mind a lot of this is guessword. The specifics of how to do what you want depend entirely on what model wireless router you have.

As always, you should refer to the manual for more information.