PDA

View Full Version : controller not responding, all ports - advice?

tcrowe76
October 11th, 2008, 18:39
Hi,
I bought my first dc at a thrift shop ($10, couldn't resist). The unit turns on and boots to the date setting screen. The controller doesn't seem to move the cursor at all (tried all the ports - none work). No error messages about missing controller.

The controller's connector (sorry, don't know the technical term) seems corroded and rusty, but the innards of the controller seem fine. Took it apart - no rust, burned spots or visible damage.

I checked the F1 resistor - it's not visibly damaged

1) would you recommend replacing the controller or the F1 resistor?

2) if I replace the F1 resistor, should I attempt to use the same controller? It's my only one - will this risk blowing the resistor again (if it was the original cause)?

Thanks for your help

Triv1um
October 13th, 2008, 02:37
Is it a 3rd Party pad?

Eviltaco64
October 13th, 2008, 02:45
Twist the F1 resistor (lightly, dont break it off).
I had the same problem about a year ago. ;)

tcrowe76
October 13th, 2008, 04:15
It was originally attached to some cheap looking 3rd party controller, but I opted for the official clear yellow pad.

Update: I went ahead and replaced the F1 resistor (10 ohm, 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance) and plugged in the same yellow controller. It works perfectly now!

I guess the moral is to plow head-long into it without waiting for advice :). Thanks, all.

Triv1um
October 13th, 2008, 14:52
Twist the F1 resistor (lightly, dont break it off).
I had the same problem about a year ago. ;)

Haha, when i twisted mine it snapped and when i soldered a new on in it didn't work.

I had to get a new 'cast. Haha.