PDA

View Full Version : making a wireless dreamcast controller

mpc827
October 13th, 2008, 00:36
well i decided, i am going to crack open one of my DC controllers and make it wireless. but i havent a clue where to start for the wireless transmitter/receiver

unless anyone can give me directions to a generic sending/receiving hardware device, i will probably buy some ps2 or gamecube wireless controller.

my question however is:
by doing this, i will be mixing DC key codes, to ps2/gc key codes correct? if so, how would i go around creating my own key code controller chip? (list hardware i will need, and programming language i may need to learn to program the chip)

if youre an expert at gaming hardware this may sound really bad lmao, but i think its in the most part accurate.

but yea, id appreciate any help on this project, the way my tv and sofa is set up, i cant really afford limitations of wires! D:

dcdood
October 14th, 2008, 00:10
check radioshack... they have stuff for it... In Perspective This is what you need:

Transmitter\Reciever that can transfer buttons to the correct ports in the DC...

It May take a little more "oomph" as some say, to run it, and if your good enough, instead of destroying your conroller board, Hack the Modem Interface, (In\Out, to supply enough power for 4 way RF Control!

Because the Modem takes good amount of power, Overloading the controller board with the extra Power to transmit stuff.. because with that RF reciever, Your not just doing a simple I\O for buttons, you have to support Rumble\VMU Support (power and data) because VMUs are to save and RumblePaks have no batteries and depend on Controller boards and cords, and power to give all 4 controllers the required support...

i don't know how much power is in a radioshack RF box or a DC Controll board or Modem.

Visit Marcus's Site, hasn't been updated since the advent of KOS but very informational for a Hardware mod... I could be making sense or talking out of my A** and giving you the run around. it's best to check there!

quzar
October 14th, 2008, 01:31
check radioshack... they have stuff for it... In Perspective This is what you need:

Transmitter\Reciever that can transfer buttons to the correct ports in the DC...

It May take a little more "oomph" as some say, to run it, and if your good enough, instead of destroying your conroller board, Hack the Modem Interface, (In\Out, to supply enough power for 4 way RF Control!

Because the Modem takes good amount of power, Overloading the controller board with the extra Power to transmit stuff.. because with that RF reciever, Your not just doing a simple I\O for buttons, you have to support Rumble\VMU Support (power and data) because VMUs are to save and RumblePaks have no batteries and depend on Controller boards and cords, and power to give all 4 controllers the required support...

i don't know how much power is in a radioshack RF box or a DC Controll board or Modem.

Visit Marcus's Site, hasn't been updated since the advent of KOS but very informational for a Hardware mod... I could be making sense or talking out of my A** and giving you the run around. it's best to check there!

What you posted made almost no sense. Also, marcus' site was updated earlier this year. It has been many times over the years.

OVERRiDE_DC
November 24th, 2008, 18:56
Whats up, guys.

I had been wanting wireless controllers for the Dreamcast for some time now.
I heard of a few 3rd party ones, but they are low quality and hard to find.

Recently at a local game store I found this PSX controller to Dreamcast adapter: Dragoncast Super Converter
http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/8712_b.jpghttp://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/8712_1.jpg

To my amazement, it works flawlessly with my $29.99 Logitech Wireless PS2 Controller!

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/3491.gif

The Logitech Controller is 2.4ghz R/F and responds really well on DC. All functions of controller works, including force feedback / vibration / analog thumbstick / vmu .

The hard part is finding this converter, DragonCast super converter. Works great if you can find yourself one!

Christuserloeser
November 24th, 2008, 20:46
EMS' Total Control should work as well. You can order it via PlayAsia.

TigheLory
August 28th, 2009, 19:22
EMS' Total Control should work as well. You can order it via PlayAsia.

No it does not, I tried this with mine back in 2007 and it didn't work. I don't think it has enough power to with with the Logictech controller. I have to get one of those Dragons, it looks so much like the EMS Total Control! weird!