PDA

View Full Version : flash video recording/converting questions...

michael jackson
January 11th, 2006, 07:27
firstly, i understand theres a MAGICAL, WONDERFUL EASY-TO-USE SITE CALLED GOOGLE,, *drools*

but I prefer asking questions from the psp-news forum members as i know if anyone here actually cares about the gaming scene like me, im sure theyed take the time to help

plus ive searched for HOURS on google getting so close to my simple question's answer but never getting exactly what i need

here goes, i know theres a line of programs that get this done (a) record a clip of non-interactive flash animation (b) convert the .swf file to a more friendly .avi or .mpg (c) convert the .avi to psp format quicktime

hopefully keeping the quality nice to high

now, if its at all possible can someone link me the sites or freeware links to these programs?

i have a favorite flash toon (non copyrighted) that ive heard in forums has been put on psps by fans

im not asking for warez or anything i just dont feel like looking for programs ALL NIGHT

if the programs have watermarks untill they are paid for idc i just want sites or even program names

id appreciate it i have a 4 gig hdd and i plan to keep the 86 episodes on it

also if a freeware version exists i want it over a pay-to-register proggy

summing it up, flash recording program, .swf to .avi or .mpg w/e

no watermarks if possible

thanks psp scene il be googling and watching the forum

b8a
January 11th, 2006, 22:26
Mikey, I gotta say, it's a little wierd responding to a guy who would prefer the company of children - no matter how innocent - to women (!_!)

Jokes aside, though, I've found one possible solution to your quest, but it's not a sure-fire, one-size meets all solution.

Apple's free media software, Quicktime (available for both PC and Mac), is able to play SOME .swf files. I'm not sure exactly what the specifications to get .swf's to play in QT are, but I've noticed that in recent swf versions (7 and 8 at least), QT won't even open if they contain ANY action script, or have been compressed within the Flash authoring tool. I'm also going to guess that it can't open files that are protected from import, but I haven't actually tested that out. Earlier .swf versions had no problem opening in QT even with actionscript, but the playback wasn't always what you expected.

So, as you can see, using QT is going to depend heavily on the content and version of the files you're looking to convert. Once you can open a .swf in QT, QT PRO offers you the option of exporting the file to a host of formats including .avi and .mpg (the available export options may depend on the codecs already on your system). The catch here? QT PRO isn't free. The fee is usually very nominal (I think it's usually like $30), so it's no big deal, but if you're like most people and would rarely ever use the Pro features, it might be worth it to try to track down the registration # for the Pro version. When you download QT, it comes with all of the Pro features, they're just crippled, and all it takes to unlock them is a functioning registration key, which, in the past, different functioning versions of, have been known to float around the internet.

If you know any of the details (version #, are they compressed, are they import protected, do they contain actionscript - or for that matter if you could tell me where to download one to test on, preferably the smallest one) about the files you're looking to convert, I could try to get you deffinitave answers about whether this would work for your situation. In the meantime, I hope this helps, and I'm sure it's just one possible answer.

michael jackson
January 11th, 2006, 23:47
I can probably find freeware that specifically converts the .swf ive had them before .swf to .avi programs some even allowed dvd burning straight from .swf

my main concern is the fact that i cant download the actual .swf so il need a program to record the animation the flash itself isnt interactive, besides the ending screen of the first 20 or so had clickable easter eggs

the way they show the episodes i cant right click save as

ricki_b
January 12th, 2006, 00:11
If you view them wouldnt they be in your temp file?

michael jackson
January 12th, 2006, 09:12
its possible.. il sort through it.. well i tell you what, il clear my temp and then watch a full ep then check..

i might not be back tho.. i forgot my password, cookies are deleted

michael jackson
January 12th, 2006, 09:20
did a pc search and my temp internet folder has 3 gibberish folders and theyre empty...

as far as im concerned, i know a program exists that people use to record flash, and then use swf to avi to make into a psp convertable file

i know its out there and if i remembered where and who i heard talking about watching this on psp id ask...

michael jackson
January 12th, 2006, 13:52
ok i found the magical place known as wikipedia and i have ALL the swf's on my pc and after 6 HOURS of work i have IMTOO universal media converting tool....

none of the episodes convert... all show up as 0:00 long and 0bitrate ...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!! !!!!!!!!!111

il gladly do ANYTHING to find a way to get this done.. i KNOW fans watch this on psps.. theyve mentioned it

the flash is bonus stage and its at www.bonusstages.com

the bonus stage wiki on wikipedia has the swf or you can just cut and paste the link of the streaming video and change .html to .swf and save as

this show has about 1105 total episodes planned, 90 of them (including specials) are out

if i can get this il NEVER try to do anything like this EVER again... a FEW episodes have easter eggs, all of which arent nessisary and frankly i wouldnt be hurt if the video were cropped to end at the "the end" screen where the clickable egg is

ONE episode has 3 endings and requires action script

also the swf has full uncropped video which usually shows background extra characters etc that were in the main frame, or were just there for future screen panning later in the ep

>.> a small joke on a newspaper says (stop watching the swf >:( ) lol

anyway... the cropping shouldnt be difficult as the main frame is easy to determine by the widescreen top and bottom panels

also the panels showed episode numbers or random things of humor in lter episodes, so cropping left and right shouldnt be more than trial and error by pixel

as for type protection and compression...

the models arent sprite based, the cahrs are somewhat southpark in that they look like cut outs

compression iuo

protection... the swf are freely downloadable and in full so i doubt any video protection is used

ONE MORE THING! the videos have alot of bugs , but major looping issues or any off sync was fixed by the creator so none of the swf's should have any bugs that would affect the file conversion

michael jackson
January 15th, 2006, 13:08
WOOT! got it, amazingly smooth animation as well

i think this is awesome so il post what i did

i took the .swf and ran it thru magic swf to avi and ended up with a 5-7 min flash as 1-2 gig largest filesize and best quality/speed setting

then i used pspvideo9 on a nice video quality setting and ended up with 12-20 meg files

the quality is PERFECT for the fact that its flash on psp the only real noticable hang is during the opening credits when the screen pans out and each character thats been introduced is standing in front of phils house, but its suprising its not worse because the flash was straining by all the sprites being added at once, very hard on any video device

all in all it only screwed up the sync, which is fixable either fast forward thru the intro or back out and resume, >.> my max media i got with the datel hdd has HORRIBLE sync on ANY video format, and the audio BLOWS, ...

psp audio sucks anyway... i still have trouble hearing very quiet mp3s...

ANYWAY pspvideo9 is free and magic swf2avi is a trial... which CAN be free >.>....

nice for flash video with little to no interaction, swf skips SOME info if the flash has multiple options, and it plays a-b so some flash may end up encoding extra parts of the swf you dont care for, the 1-2 gig filesize is terrible, but pspvideo cuts it so i just do one at a time and delete
of course defrag after im done with all of em >.<

also magic swf scans your cache... usefull if you saw a cool flash you cant remember the site from, you might even be able to watch it offline

.... this has been jack-o's how-to swf to psp

untill next time kids.. GIGITY GIGITY GOOOO!