PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a cfw

Hitokiriz
October 25th, 2008, 06:28
Hi guys, I recently developed an interest in downgrading my psp to add a cfw to it so I can run homebrew and an emulator to enjoy all of my psx games! Oh the nostalgia!
Lol, but back on topic, I am puzzled on which cfw would work best for me. I am looking for one that is bug free, excels at running psx emulators, and can still play umd games that require a higher version.
If anyone could give me advice on which might best suit my needs and possibly a link to it, it would be much appreciated! I should also say that I am doing this by a pandora battery so if there is a certain program that is the best for creating a MMS I would like being pointed in the right direction.

Note: I have looked through all of the guides but some of them seemed outdated for what versions are out today, so I am sorry if some of my questions are answered there, I just wanted to get current information!

Buddy4point0
October 25th, 2008, 17:57
You're going to want to use the newest Dark_AleX custom firmware.
5.00 m33-3. You're also going to want to make sure you have all the addition on it.

You need to get your PSP to firmware version 1.5, and then you can move it up in the firmware version ranks.

Things you want:
5.00 m33 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167420)
1.5 kernal addon (http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1612) (for PSP 1000's)
5.00 m33-3 (http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1893)(update for 5.00 m33, you need to be on 5.00 m33 before you can use this update)
3.71 msmod for 5.00 m33 (http://dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1996)(Speeds up memory stick access.)

GibsonSGKing
October 26th, 2008, 02:54
yeah, buddy4point0 kinda beat me to it, but m33 is pretty much the only cfw out there now. thats why the guides were out of date, those cfw's dont exist anymore. mainly because dark alex's cfw is so fricken awesome :P

Hitokiriz
October 26th, 2008, 04:44
Ok thanks guys I appreciate it : D But is 5.00 definitely the best way to go right now or would be choosing a lower version have less bugs? I read that some people were having trouble with popsloader? Cause I know emulation will be one of my main uses!

Buddy4point0
October 26th, 2008, 22:46
Ok thanks guys I appreciate it : D But is 5.00 definitely the best way to go right now or would be choosing a lower version have less bugs? I read that some people were having trouble with popsloader? Cause I know emulation will be one of my main uses!

There were some issues with 5.00 m33, but that's why you need to get 5.00 m33-3 and poploader, they're all fixed.

GibsonSGKing
October 26th, 2008, 23:10
There were some issues with 5.00 m33, but that's why you need to get 5.00 m33-3 and poploader, they're all fixed.

from what ive heard, its mostly fixed. but some small games that most ppl wouldnt play anyhow are still having issues. i personally am sticking with 4.01 m33-2, becuase it is compatible with pretty much everything right now. 5.00 is brand new, therefore doesnt have a whole lotta themes and plugins yet. also, to make themes you have to use that descrambler thing, which i think will scare off some theme makers. but alot of homebrew and what-not uses the 1.5 kernel, so you should be fine there. it just goes on what you feel most comfortable with at the moment.

Buddy4point0
October 26th, 2008, 23:54
from what ive heard, its mostly fixed. but some small games that most ppl wouldnt play anyhow are still having issues. i personally am sticking with 4.01 m33-2, becuase it is compatible with pretty much everything right now. 5.00 is brand new, therefore doesnt have a whole lotta themes and plugins yet. also, to make themes you have to use that descrambler thing, which i think will scare off some theme makers. but alot of homebrew and what-not uses the 1.5 kernel, so you should be fine there. it just goes on what you feel most comfortable with at the moment.

True, there are not many themes out yet for 5.00 m33, but about pops, 5.00 m33 pops is much better than 4.01 m33 pops, I would even say that it's the best pops yet.

There are a few games that would never play for me before and they work great on 5.00 m33 pops.
Also if you don't find 5.00 m33 pops the best, popsloader for it is out.
You may have heard from people who are only on 5.00 m33 and not 5.00 m33-3, but I assure you, the pops is top-notch.

Most plugins are fully compatable with 5.00, the only 2 that I found was not are a screenshot plugin and the savestate plugin, both of which have 5.00 m33 versions.

You're also incorrect about most homebrew using the 1.5 kernal.
Most homebrew no longer need it at all, but if you do find some that you have to have it for, the 1.5 kernal is also avaliable for 5.00 m33.

Sorry to burst your 4.01 m33 fanboy bubble, but you really should upgrade to 5.00 m33 and then 5.00 m33-3, it truly is the best.

ACID
October 27th, 2008, 14:41
You're going to want to use the newest Dark_AleX custom firmware.
5.00 m33-3. You're also going to want to make sure you have all the addition on it.

You need to get your PSP to firmware version 1.5, and then you can move it up in the firmware version ranks.

Things you want:
5.00 m33 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167420)
1.5 kernal addon (http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1612) (for PSP 1000's)
5.00 m33-3 (http://www.dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1893)(update for 5.00 m33, you need to be on 5.00 m33 before you can use this update)
3.71 msmod for 5.00 m33 (http://dark-alex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1996)(Speeds up memory stick access.)

Dude is there a guide some where that will help me use psardumper to get the msmod file out of 3.71 i am currently in 5.00 M3 and when i used it it says a massege you need to have 2.71 or higher witch i do and then it goes back to the XMB:(

GibsonSGKing
October 28th, 2008, 23:53
True, there are not many themes out yet for 5.00 m33, but about pops, 5.00 m33 pops is much better than 4.01 m33 pops, I would even say that it's the best pops yet.

There are a few games that would never play for me before and they work great on 5.00 m33 pops.
Also if you don't find 5.00 m33 pops the best, popsloader for it is out.
You may have heard from people who are only on 5.00 m33 and not 5.00 m33-3, but I assure you, the pops is top-notch.

Most plugins are fully compatable with 5.00, the only 2 that I found was not are a screenshot plugin and the savestate plugin, both of which have 5.00 m33 versions.

You're also incorrect about most homebrew using the 1.5 kernal.
Most homebrew no longer need it at all, but if you do find some that you have to have it for, the 1.5 kernal is also avaliable for 5.00 m33.

Sorry to burst your 4.01 m33 fanboy bubble, but you really should upgrade to 5.00 m33 and then 5.00 m33-3, it truly is the best.

hmmm, ill upgrade then. ill have to lose all of my awesome themes, but oh well. unless ctf themes work regardless of firmware? cuz i know cxmb is out for 5.00, but are ctf's firmware specific? im not really a fanboy of 4.01, i was just a little hesitant to upgrade, because it seemed to come out very, very fast. but if its that good, then ill have to see. there was just never anything that really drew me to 5.00, i dont use the psn store, and, well, it just wasnt anything special to me. and if pops is that good, then im all for it. klonoa always gives me crap here and there, and it wont even start popolocrois. ill have to see if this new one will.

and ACID, im not entirely sure why you would want that. its for memstick access, it wont help you with that problem. and to get the file, all you need to do is download and extract it using winRAR. for your problem, can you tell me what type of game it is? homebrew? web portal? iso?

Wally
October 29th, 2008, 10:40
PFT Themes will work on the later firmware as it is an integrated feature made by Sony.

I think it was introduced in 3.50?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Wally

jxx2005
October 29th, 2008, 16:24
I am looking for one that is bug free, excels at running psx emulators
why do all the users that are new to CFW think that there is a separate PSX emulator
its built in...thats why sony has released a few select titles on the PS store
sorry for ranting but its just kind of a little pet peeve i've developed
(this is the 3rd thread i've seen today with such a question)

anyway to be a productive member of society and not just a whiny b**ch i'll throw in my 2 cents

I'm currently on 4.01M33-2 and i find that i have no problem with it at all

not going to 5.00 for a bit, i have no need to...yet

Buddy4point0
October 29th, 2008, 19:16
hmmm, ill upgrade then. ill have to lose all of my awesome themes, but oh well. unless ctf themes work regardless of firmware? cuz i know cxmb is out for 5.00, but are ctf's firmware specific?
Yes, unfortunently you have to wait for 5.00 themes to come out.

im not really a fanboy of 4.01, i was just a little hesitant to upgrade, because it seemed to come out very, very fast.
Sureeee.... :D

but if its that good, then ill have to see. there was just never anything that really drew me to 5.00, i dont use the psn store, and, well, it just wasnt anything special to me. and if pops is that good, then im all for it. klonoa always gives me crap here and there, and it wont even start popolocrois. ill have to see if this new one will.
It probably will work great, like I said I've had no problems whatsoever on 5.00 m33-3

PFT Themes will work on the later firmware as it is an integrated feature made by Sony.

I think it was introduced in 3.50?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Wally
Didn't work for me, everything that was supposed to be transparent in them was black.
Which made them look really ugly.