PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn games on VC? Ever?

cartwright
October 25th, 2008, 20:57
I have heard that the Virtual Console isn't supporting Sega Saturn games right now because the way it's games were made make it too difficult to emulate. Is this true? I can't understand how a 32-bit game can not work on the Wii when it can handle games like Super Mario Galaxy etc!

One of my favourite Sega Saturn games is Guardian Heroes and one day I hope to be able to play it again! It would also be nice to play the origional Nights game after playing the apparantly disappointing Wii version.

Do you think it'll ever be possible? If they can emulate 64-bit N64 games you'd think they could do Saturn!

Eviltaco64
October 26th, 2008, 00:57
I severely doubt it.

Saturn is one pain in the ass to emulate.

And Nintendo 64 is easier to emulate than Saturn due to Saturn having more complex hardware and 3 main processors.

As far as I know, the Dreamcast is actually easier to emulate than Saturn.

cartwright
October 26th, 2008, 22:08
Oh No! So this means I have to hope, pray and keep my fingers cross that Sega remake the games for Wiiware or a bundle pack!

I sure hope Treasure have the sense to remake Guardian Heroes in that case! We can't have that classic lost in history thanks to some technical mumbo-jumbo!XD

And if they can re-release Gunstar Heroes and Sin and Punishment....*shakes fist*

Eviltaco64
October 26th, 2008, 22:23
People have been working on a homebrew port of the Saturn emulator Yabause for the Wii. It's being worked on and looks promising. So maybe that's where you'll be able to play Guardian Heroes. :)

cartwright
October 31st, 2008, 22:09
People have been working on a homebrew port of the Saturn emulator Yabause for the Wii. It's being worked on and looks promising. So maybe that's where you'll be able to play Guardian Heroes. :)
I would be so chuffed if I could!:) Do you know how long it will take?

I've never done homebrew before, only just catching-up with emulators and such!:rofl: Can't be as difficult as it sounds with everyone here doing it!:D

RandomPicklez
November 1st, 2008, 18:22
Saturn games would never be able to work on the Wii because the Saturn games were on CD-ROMs (which hold up to 700MB and the Wii has a memory space of 500MB), and the Saturn has a huge processor. If you want to play Guardian Heroes again, get the ISO or buy it from eBay. I've never played Guardian Heroes, but I might want to try it sometime.

Eviltaco64
November 1st, 2008, 18:40
Saturn games would never be able to work on the Wii because the Saturn games were on CD-ROMs (which hold up to 700MB and the Wii has a memory space of 500MB), and the Saturn has a huge processor. If you want to play Guardian Heroes again, get the ISO or buy it from eBay. I've never played Guardian Heroes, but I might want to try it sometime.

Well right now you can use I think up to 4GB SD cards with the Wii.

quzar
November 1st, 2008, 19:09

Most CD-Roms of the day only had 100 or so mb of actual game data, with the rest of the space taken up by CDDA music for the game. This could easily be delivered in a compressed format for emulation.

cartwright
November 3rd, 2008, 19:57
If all the data can be compressed really easily like quzar says then it sounds more than possible!

I had heard that because Saturn games were so complex and that extra layers of power were needed for emulation that no Saturn games would ever become download able on WiiWare/PSN etc!

Apparently my only hope was for Saturn games to be remade for the current systems due to emulation problems with the Saturn games!

May I ask what a ISO is as well?

RandomPicklez
November 3rd, 2008, 20:05
May I ask what a ISO is as well?
It's a disc image, meaning it has all of the files from one disc all in one file. Games from the Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, old Xbox, and many other consoles that use discs can be made into an ISO using a particular program. To burn the ISO onto a disc, you use a program like Nero, Alcohol 120% (recommended for burning the DC ISOs that are in .mdf format), or ImgBurn.

cartwright
November 4th, 2008, 20:42
It's a disc image, meaning it has all of the files from one disc all in one file. Games from the Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, old Xbox, and many other consoles that use discs can be made into an ISO using a particular program. To burn the ISO onto a disc, you use a program like Nero, Alcohol 120% (recommended for burning the DC ISOs that are in .mdf format), or ImgBurn.
So you're thinking rather than emulate Saturn games, just burn them on to Wii, PS3 etc discs?