PDA

View Full Version : How to make it work

Czacki
October 27th, 2008, 11:39
Hello guys I am getting myself a PSP slim in a month or two and I want to use it for

a) PSX emulation
b) Dosbox

but I am clueless what do I need to do

1.Is the custom firmware still required? If yes, what is the newest firmware capable of running PSX games?
2. Do I still need the hot shots golf for that boot file?
3. If I want to play multi-disc game like final fantasy, do I need to have each disc on separate card?
4. Do saved games overwrite each other? I plan to use dosbox and many old PC games, but if the savegames will overwrite each other, it will be pretty annoying, I heard it somewhere..
5. I recall reading about troubles with PSP with TA-082 motherboards, is it still something to watch out for?

I'd be really glad if you could help me, all those guides and vast forums give me a headache.

Regards.

PSPdemon
October 27th, 2008, 15:03
1.Is the custom firmware still required? If yes, what is the newest firmware capable of running PSX games?

yes it is... and that would be 5.0 M33-3

2. Do I still need the hot shots golf for that boot file?

yes and no...depends on which psx2psp game creator you use

3. If I want to play multi-disc game like final fantasy, do I need to have each disc on separate card?

latter firmwares handle multidisc games... thus you would not need to have them seperately ( they would make one big eboot ) however i believe there is some trouble with the compatibility for that game in later pops... dont hold me to it though ;)

4. Do saved games overwrite each other? I plan to use dosbox and many old PC games, but if the savegames will overwrite each other, it will be pretty annoying, I heard it somewhere..

i wouldnt know the answer to this one...so sorry about that

5. I recall reading about troubles with PSP with TA-082 motherboards, is it still something to watch out for?

those boards are phat specific... and the TA-082 got hacked loooong time ago

the one you need to watch out for is the TA-085v3 board ( thats the latest psp slim ).... anything bellow that and you are okay :D

i hope that helps answer most of your questions.

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

GibsonSGKing
October 29th, 2008, 00:17
psp demon is 100% right, i just wanna add one thing. if your gonna buy one, i would get it from ebay or play asia. the psp 3000 (the newest one) is all they sell in major retail stores (walmart, kmart, bestbuy) and it can not be hacked as of right now. but im sure DAX will hack it soon enough.

ennok
October 29th, 2008, 05:35
dosbox for psp doesn't run dos games very well. As stated in it's info it runs games like a 33.3 mhz system (roughly) .. so later dos games don't run well. And it's kinda capped at using only 10 megs ram .. not good for later games. I tried running silent hunter .. got it to run but was mega slow.

As gibson said .. you don't want a 3000 series if you can help it. Their chips can't be programmed by us yet. So you couldn't use it for anything but what it's made for *gasp*

Czacki
October 29th, 2008, 09:31
Thank you for replies,

a real bummer that psp dosbox doesn't run all dos games ;/ Oh well, I'm pretty sure supaplex will work, maybe civilization 1. Is there a compatibility thread somewhere ? I have a list of games in mind and would like to check whether its even worth the fuss of getting psp dosbox.

Maybe the future PSP-dosbox versions will run better? Is there any hope? :P

If not I can still use it as mobile PSX. I don't think I will buy any PSP games, I've seen some and they all seem very sucky to me ;)

Wally
October 29th, 2008, 10:34
Oh Supaplex works (One of the first games I tested). and it works quite well. (the music is still slow but who needs music) =) So does Commander Keen 4 and games around that like like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures.

Wally

Czacki
October 29th, 2008, 16:50
That's good news.

Here's the list of games I'd like to see running:

Civilization 1
Scorched earth
Xenon 2
Raptor
Betrayal at krondor (I bet this one doesn't work.)
688 attack sub
the lost vikings
Stunts
Battle isle 2 perhaps (no way this would work :/)
One must fall (I doubt it)
The hammer of gods (won't work I suppose :()
dangerous dave in the haunted mansion
crystal caves
Sensible world of soccer

maybe a couple others but those are my strict childhood ;)

Pretty funny that a machine that can run final fantasy IX can't manage to run DOS games.. >_>

Buddy4point0
October 29th, 2008, 19:21
Some games that I know run full (or very close to full) speed:

Supaplex
Jill of the Jungle
Commander Keen 4
Dangerous Dave
Hocus Pocus
Colonisation
Crime Fighter
Ascendancy
Goblins 1
Lemmings Two: Tribes
Duke Nukem 1
Crystal Caves 1 2 3
Secret Agent 1 2 3
Home Alone

Czacki
October 30th, 2008, 20:44
Ok one more question:

Can I put Final fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on one memory stick and expect it to work? Or should I put them on separate memory sticks (assuming the new firmware really takes care of multiple discs)

Buddy4point0
October 31st, 2008, 02:05
Ok one more question:

Can I put Final fantasy 7, 8 and 9 on one memory stick and expect it to work? Or should I put them on separate memory sticks (assuming the new firmware really takes care of multiple discs)

If you have the space, you can put them all on 1 memory stick.
They're about 1.5GB for VII and VIII, and I think almost 2GB for IX, for the Multidisk eboots, so unless you've got an 8 or 16 GB memory card you won't be able to fit them all.

Czacki
October 31st, 2008, 08:38
That's fantastic news. Yeah, I have a 8gb memory stick somewhere, I believe ;)

Well, I guess all that's left is to buy PSP.. change the firmware.. and learn how to make games boot and such. Do I have to do it myself with my original PSX games? Or maybe it's possible to download games already "converted" to PSP from, idk, isohunt, never tried. That wouldn't be piracy in my case since I own legal copies of those games anyway.

That would be very convenient you know :D

Thanks for all your help btw.