PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help concerning micro adapter and 8gb cards

Zargon
October 28th, 2008, 02:23
My 4gb sandisk pro duo memory card is beginning to die on me. It was roughly handled by one of my friends and is falling apart, not to mention it won't stay in the card bay without tape holding it in.
Question: Would using two sandisk micro cards (8gb a piece)with an adapter compatible with both the cards (capable of holding both at the same time)and the PSP cause any problems? Presumably, they would just be recognized as one 16gb card and It would work fine, but I figured I would check.
My PSP is a 4.01 M33, TA-082.
PS: In the event I plugged the adapter in with both cards in and tried to save something, how would I be sure which card it saved it to? Would I just have to check and see?
Also, roughly what would the read/write speeds look like compared to just usin a standard MS Pro Duo.
Thanks to all who can answer any of these questions.

mike_jmg
October 29th, 2008, 07:28
I'm geting that one too, you're talking about the Photofast adapter CR-5400 right.

From what I've read I think it would be fine, the adapter uses both cards as one, if you later use them separately the data will get corrupted, so better treat them as a single card.

I don't really know how it works but is not like your info starts on one card then fills the other, it kinda uses both at the same time, at least that's what I understood from the diferent descriptions.

As for the transfer rates, it says it depends on the cards speed, being the overall transfer rate the one from the lowest speed card (better use same speed ones).

Also, I read in another forums, over at psp-hacks.com I think, that someone had one of the adapters but the older version that had two SD slots (CR-3100 or something like that), he said the transfer rates where better than all of his previous set ups. (I know two SD cards would never fit on a PSP, they were put on the back of the UMD door conected with a flat cable to the MS slot)

I think it will be fine, at least I hope mine will, my 4Gb is kind of dieing too, not as bad as yours but a little

Edit: more info and a picture showing the weirdness of the CR-3100 adapter here (http://www.photofast.tw/eng/CR.html)

Zargon
October 31st, 2008, 04:19
Thank you very much. Been wondering about this for a little bit and finally figured I would ask someone about it. I'm only working part time and this particular setup would be about three weeks pay. Woulda hated to waste it, ya know? Last question: What is the maximum card size for firmware 4.01?

mike_jmg
November 1st, 2008, 18:10
Yeah you're right, although it is cheaper it is still a lot of money.

I was thinking about someday (maybe christmas) geting two 16Gb micro SDHC cards so I can have 32GB worth of space on my psp, I don't think there is a limit for the memory card size, still I don't really know for sure.

I've just remembered someone made a mod of a psp holding a HDD, he used IRshell and usb host to make it work but he had 30GB of space and it worked ok.

And also I saw or read a review about the adapter and they say that they're always checking that their products work on every current sony hardware

These things make me think it will work ok, for a moment you got me thinking, but I think I'll try to get the two 16gb cards anyway

good luck

edit: haha, no need for luck to make it work, just found the forum again where I saw the CR-3100, look at this (http://www.pspmod.com/forums/hardware/40368-internalizing-my-photofast-cr-3100-a.html)

yes, you can have 30GB worth of stuff on your PSP, and it will have very good reading and writing speeds :thumbup:

Zargon
November 3rd, 2008, 05:53
Very cool. Sadly the hard drive that the particular mod you are talking about use a solid state drive. Those things are really expensive. Would take me about two months to save up for something like that.

mike_jmg
November 3rd, 2008, 06:47
Uh?, why do you mention the hard drive, well, solid state drive?
It was like an example of someone having working 30Gb on their psp.

The CR-5400 adapter will do the trick with no mods or anything like it, the expensive part is the two 16Gb micro SDHC cards, wich would make a memory stick with as much space as a hard drive.

Also, you can buy one first, use it, and when you get the money, the other one, is like a payment plan for a giant memory stick LOL

Zargon
November 4th, 2008, 00:44
Yeah, pretty cool when things work out like that, huh? Can't wait to see what all can fit on that bad boy. Now I just have to order it...
Also, only mentioned the solid state because I probably would have followed the tutorial on how to set that up if it could be done with other kinds of hard drive, like a 3.5" SATA.