PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros 64 Remake

ggx2neo
October 31st, 2008, 15:44
I've seen the 2d homebrew Smash Bros... And while it's looking fine, 2d Smash Bros just doesn't seem right to me.

So My Brother and I plan on making a semi remake of the n64 version (perhaps on a smaller scale, maybe just multiplayer.. We'll see)

Rest assured, this isn't just some random post from someone who can't make it happen :) I'm a 3d modeler and My Brother is a coder.

For now I'll leave you guys with some teaser pics of the models I made so far. It's gonna be a while till anything is in game form so the models will probably be updated a few times.

Once I make some stages I'll make a few mock up pics of what the game will look like :)

Enjoy

pokeballer
November 2nd, 2008, 00:57
wow ur link and samus models are really good the only weird thing was that kirby's arms looked freakishly long but its still great

ggx2neo
November 2nd, 2008, 02:11
Well nothing is final yet, I'm sure there will be some small changes to the models to make them look better :) For now, here's the first stage that I've made:) It's one of my favorite stages, second only to Hyrule. I'll update with more pics once I finish a few more stages.
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/4135/stage1rr2.jpg

ggx2neo
November 4th, 2008, 06:41
Update time:) Finished two more stages ( one of which I didn't even plan on making :P started making it just to see if I could, it looked good so I finished it)
Here they are, Hyrule Temple and Hyrule Castle!
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8006/ssbds1az0.jpg

Working on two more stages, more updates soon:)

updowners
November 7th, 2008, 10:27
You have a higher chance of making your homebrew successful if you post at other more active forums like gbatemp.net

Darksaviour69
November 7th, 2008, 11:40
Looks interesting, but I'm guessing the lack of feedback would be because its just pics so far, once you release a tech demo or something you will get a lot more feed back. Homebrew scenes get "screenshots" etc all the time, but it turns out to be fake (gtafreedc comes to mind).

zulek
November 23rd, 2008, 14:21
The stages look amazing- can't wait for a test version or even a final version

krazedkat1
November 23rd, 2008, 22:48
Very nice man.. Hopefully it goes all the way... :D..

SifJar
November 30th, 2008, 13:29
could you release a beta version, or demo, or something please. it looks amazing

Draxos
December 1st, 2008, 18:38
Nice Work.... I cant wait for the beta or demo version...

ggx2neo
December 2nd, 2008, 05:18
Well I'm only making the 3d parts of the game, I have no control over the coding :( All of my stuff is pretty much done though, but My Brothers computer died so he can't work on the game till he gets a new one... So it'll be a while before there's any type of demo. I did however finish two more stages :)
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8010/mushroomkingdom1pm6.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7196/dreamland1uu1.jpg

I'll update this once I can get something running on DS.

Grey Acumen
December 8th, 2008, 06:30
your arenas look incredible. your character models are just a little bit off, and it's not even something easy to describe, but it's basically a not quite right arm position and the like.

I love the fact that you're trying for a 3d model situation, but I will point out that the most important thing for smash bros is making sure that the hit boxes and smash attacks, etc move properly. I wouldn't even mind the 2D smash bros, but there are still issues with just basic characters moving around and that totally turned me off from it

ggx2neo
December 8th, 2008, 16:22
Well, I had to make them as low polygon as I could (and it was my first time making Nintendo characters :P) But, the pics showing the characters are much larger than they will be on the DS screen, I think everything will look quite nice moving on the DS. Gonna be a ton of animations for me to make, should be fun :D As for the hit boxes, they may be 2d still, since everything moves in 2d. We have a few ideas for it so that should be no problem.

Sonicdude1995
December 9th, 2008, 15:13
umm, nice! cant wait 4 beta!

Grey Acumen
December 10th, 2008, 04:36
I made a post a long time ago on all the things I wanted from a DS smash bros (http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=324321) game. the important snippets are here, modified for clarity:

I'd really like to see the display set so that it primarily uses the top screen, with the camera set so it only follows your own character, zoomed in not quite as much as it would be if everyone was standing in the same place in Brawl. This will allow you the best use of the fact that everyone is playing on much smaller screens, but also the fact that everyone has their OWN screen. (The other guy doesn't need to look at my screen to see where he is, he has his own)

The bottom screen would show an entirely zoomed out map of the stage. This will allow you to tap the map on the lower screen, and have the top screen's camera focus on wherever on the map that you tap, for if you want to look at other areas on the map that are outside of your view. Typically not really essential, but since the controls will use the buttons and Dpad rather than stylus, it'll be best to keep the necessity of using the touch screen to a minimum.

For the button arrangements themselves, I'd like to see a style that is a cross between the single wiimote style and the classical controller style for brawl.

L button for Jump or changed to be for shielding.

You can choose if up counts as jump, or if you only want it to handle the direction of your attacks.

A for regular attacks, B for special attacks. A + B for smash attacks. Can be changed to switch B with A

X for shielding, Y for jumping. Can be changed to switch X with Y

R for grabbing. Can also be changed so R is just shielding and so that either X or Y(whichever
has been set for shielding) is now the grab button.

"Attack button + Shield button activates grab" can be turned on or off

double tapping left or right allows for running, and double tapping down allows sinking through platforms that allow it.

One of the shield buttons can instead be used as a "smash" activator button, so that double tapping is unnecessary for running and dropping through platforms

Select is for the taunt button.

Start to pause.

DarkLink^
December 14th, 2008, 14:05
It's funny, I had almost the same idea a few months ago, I only needed a coder but unfortunately nobody wanted to help (the reason is that developping such game needs a lot of time and knowledge).
I also tryed to learn the C language but as I didn't have enough spare time I gave up :p.
Screenshots of my work (only renders):

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4595/kirbyingameii3.jpg

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4746/marioingameyy8.jpg

There is nothing more to see, I only did two characters and a testing map.

I would recommend your brother to use the Nitro Engine (http://forum.palib.info/index.php?topic=5838.0).
I wish you good luck with your project.

(Sorry if my English is bad.)

Sonicdude1995
December 15th, 2008, 17:03
wow, brawl graphics on ds! awesome!!!

patgan598
December 15th, 2008, 17:35
I am willing to feed you back if you send me a beta ver. >link_94"at"hotmail.com<

bigerdave
December 16th, 2008, 12:30
cant wait m8 lookin good yay

levy23
February 22nd, 2009, 07:13
This looks awesome i so cant wait to try it out if u bring our a demo
Hopefully thats pretty soon

ChaoticanarchyX
March 6th, 2009, 00:48
I must say that this homebrew is looking to be one that could make commercial games start running for their money

Keep up the Great work both of (ggx2neo & dark link)

shinymusic
April 28th, 2009, 05:57
excellent work

BibleMan
May 1st, 2009, 03:29
See? No activity for the last several months. These projects always conk out, assuming that they're not just a hoax. I'll believe it when I see an alpha version for the testers.

ggx2neo
May 2nd, 2009, 05:18
Well it's not so much that it's dead as it is sleeping... But nothing has really been done to it since my last post, I was letting the thread go to sleep till we could start working on it again, since actual work has been taking up all of our time.
Since my brothers main job is programming, it's hard to get him to program after he gets home. Once I can get him to start making stuff it shouldn't be too hard, since I already made every single model for the game.

BibleMan
May 3rd, 2009, 02:28
Wow. Impressive. Alright, you've got me exxcited about this project, now. Perhaps you should release an update, though. It looks as though it's been, well, cancelled.

I hope I didn't offend you by hinting that it may have been a hoax. :D Remember Halo DS and Mario Kart 2 DS? :D

Well, in any case, keep up the good work!

dabombchu
May 19th, 2009, 04:22
I just chanced upon this thread, and I have to say, it looks like exciting stuff. I really do hope that progress for this is ongoing, the models look fantastic (the detailed textures make them vastly superior to the originals :).

wiggy fuzz
May 19th, 2009, 07:21
programming is tough. i'm a novice at it, and the only game i've coded was battleships in python. it was text based, and buggy. but it did provide some very basic pc vs human gameplay.

btw, what would you do if nintendo decided to actually release a smash bros game for the ds during e3? (not likely, but more like wishful thinking)

Andaimaru
May 28th, 2009, 01:53
:Dlooks so amazing :) hope your brother can do his part soon. I've been keeping an eye on this post to watch your progress, but i haven't ever typed anything. So, did you say you've yet to get this running on a DS? Also, is it guarenteed to have multiplayer, :P might give my friend a reason to buy a flash cart. Please keep me updated, I would love to help if at all possible. I could beta test or debug if you like. Thanks for this wicked homebrew attempt. PM me if you would like my help with anything. --Andaimaru-- (p.s. I do not have much experience in testing or debug, but I thought "What a great place to start, a remake of one of the greatest games in all time!") Please consider my offer and keep in touch. Great job, again! Thanks, bye!

Smokexz
June 8th, 2009, 23:34
You know

"SLEEPING" is just a word programmers use to tell us all to shut up...

xD

darkrobman
June 9th, 2009, 05:18
wow im 13 never got a chance to play the first ssb

Andaimaru
June 11th, 2009, 00:30
wow im 13 never got a chance to play the first ssb dude, that sucks... one of the best games ever, sure Melee added characters and stages but it somewhat destroyed the gameplay i loved. btw, if u really wanna play it, emulate it. i can't give u links, and i don't like pirates, but u can't miss out on such an epic game

Zolga
June 15th, 2009, 19:40
never going to be made

levy23
January 17th, 2011, 05:04
i remember when i thought this was REAL! lol, stupid me

Cetobasilius
February 4th, 2011, 09:34
Ive got good news for you guys. i was searching the internet to see if anyone was already doing what i am doing right now. in fact, a smash brothers remake/clone. not for the DS or any console. its for the pc. and for those who are willing to make maps i am more than willing to accept them in my engine. not all characters will be nintendo ones, it will be a wide variety. of course mario, kirby, link, luigi, captain falcon, ness, yoshi, bowser, dk and the rest will be included. its on the list, but im working on the game itself right now. ive got to say, the first pictures are good, but pictures are nothing. for proof, ive got videos of my game running. search youtube for "smash brothers basi" or watch the latest video i uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOZhS-jeHKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOZhS-jeHKY

i know that this is an old thread, but good news