PDA

View Full Version : Best CD-R to use with your Dreamcast?

neithcat
November 5th, 2008, 00:46
I'm wondering which brand/type/kind of CD-Rs are best for use on a Dreamcast. I remember once trying a cheaper disc that would have trouble booting and caused the system to strain...
I currently use black Memorex CD-Rs, experiencing mixed results.

If you have found a particular CD-R that works great could you post which?

Triv1um
November 5th, 2008, 01:01
I use Verbatims.

I had problems with "Staples" own brand, but when I changed to Verbatims I was fine.

Eviltaco64
November 5th, 2008, 01:02
I used a lot of Memorex CDs.
They were cheap and are still going (for homebrew, of course).

quzar
November 5th, 2008, 02:02
It doesn't matter.

VampDude
November 5th, 2008, 22:04
Memorex and Verbatim are the two brands I use, though I've never had any problems with any disc's that I've been given in the past. The only disc's I had problems with were a supermarket brand, but that was down to my drive and not the disc's themselves.

Like Quzar said, it doesn't matter.

But I will point out that the cheapest of disc's don't last too long, and become a problem with constant use.

Christuserloeser
November 12th, 2008, 14:55
The less you can see through, the better.

kadorna1
November 26th, 2008, 06:57
I use generic non printable white-based CDRs, works like a charm

kraakie
December 8th, 2008, 09:23
I use any i get my hands on ;)

I burn on 16 speeds and works fine even with audio

Guaripolo
December 8th, 2008, 14:39
It doesn't matter.

you say that because you never used "comahue" discs.

kjell1979
December 20th, 2008, 17:16
Does anyone have a preference between Memorex and TDK? A Memorex 100 ct. spindle is $15 at Staples today, but the same size TDKs are on sale for $15 at Officemax tomorrow.

quzar
December 20th, 2008, 21:00
For me the only big difference I've ever noticed is if they have any sort of label or not. The worst kind have basically just a thin bit of plastic between the label side and the data layer. The best (standard) kind tend to be the printable ones, as the printing layer they have is fairly thick.

As for brand, that is a tossup.

kjell1979
December 21st, 2008, 01:13
Good point. I've been having about 50% success rate with some Philips brand CD-Rs. I thought they would be pretty good given the brandname, but the label side does seem a little thin. Unless I head out now for the Memorex CD-Rs or if Staples extends the sale, I'm pretty much committed to getting the TDKs.

marzsyndrome
January 6th, 2009, 13:09
I always use either TDK, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, depending on what I can get my hands on.

I prefer to get the printable kind of discs so that you can have all the space you want to write stuff on them (I don't have a disc printer to utilize).

maxim2boobles
August 20th, 2009, 08:14
Memorex works the best for homebrew for me

kojiro7
August 20th, 2009, 09:17
mitsui werent supposed to be the best?

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 10:42
Between Verbatim, Memorex, Imitation, and generic Office Depot CD-r's, I'd have to side with Memorex. My Dreamcast's laser is weak and some of those homebrew cd-r's don't even work anymore.

However, my NesterDC and GenesisPlusDC discs (which are Memorex discs) still work sometimes. :P

JLF65
August 20th, 2009, 18:48
I've used both Memorex and Verbatim on my DC, and it likes the Verbatim a smidgen better. Sometimes with the Memorex, there's more seeking going on when the DC validates the disc. It's like it has to retry a few times.

Jmclark
August 21st, 2009, 02:18
I use Sony Audio CD-Rs. They are the kind my mom gets me, and they end up working quite well with my Dreamcast.

clawdeath
November 10th, 2009, 16:03
The Digimaster cd model "Black 101.17.jump", were the best cd ever, they works great, even on my "almost dead" laser, the only cd that does work on it it's the black Digimaster (and the GDs), but I can't find them anymore, maybe they had discontinued.

Ps.: Sorry for poor English

hansblitzenburg
November 24th, 2009, 07:34
I only use Sony CD-Rs for Dreamcast hombrew.

DoctorHiney
December 24th, 2012, 22:15
Everyone here is wrong :p

The best CD's to get are 99 minute (870MB) CD's. They are ultra-high capacity CD's.

All CD's have a shortcoming compared to the Dreamcast's GD-ROM's, and that's the size (capacity). The Dreamcast disks can retain 1GB of data. People making backups have to remove or compress a lot of media in order to get (most of) the games onto the smaller CD format. With ultra-high capacity disks, not as much squeezing needs to be done to get the games onto backup media, so the game is going to be fuller and truer to the original. There are some games that I have only seen released on 99 minute disks (but I'm new to backups). These backups are usually contain "99MIN" in the title.

Here's a place they can be ordered online, but I hear they are not as hard to find in-store in Europe: [links not allowed, apparently. Look on deal extreme.]