PDA

View Full Version : Black/white picture on old tv

KatjaKat
November 11th, 2008, 20:46
Hi!

I've just been given a used wii and the picture on the tv is in black/white. The tv is from ca 1999 but it has the right plugs (red, white, yellow) and it works fine when I use it (same yellow plug) to watch films from the computer. The image didn't improve by using a scart adapter (gold plated). However, the wii works fine on the neighbour's tv that is only a year or two newer.

So, I'm puzzled because I can't tell if the problem is in the tv or not (since it works fine with the pc on the same type of plug), and I can't find anything really similar searching google. Anyone have any ideas? I'd hate having to play in just black and white...

Thanks!!

Darksaviour69
November 11th, 2008, 20:55
try out putting to 50hz (instead of 60hz). I don't know if you can do that on a wii (don't have one).

Having said that 1999 is not that old, and should support 60hz (its the early 90s pal tv that were 50hz only).

I remember people having a similar problem with the ps2, back in the day, but since i never had a ps2, i don't know much about it.

KatjaKat
November 12th, 2008, 20:10
Thanks for the suggestion but as far as I can tell there's no way to change the settings. Tho, I do have a japanese wii and have to get the menus translated to be able to go through them.

Which reminds me, someone mentioned something about difference between PAL and NTSC in deffent areas of the world. I don't really know what the difference is, but would that affect the colours?

Darksaviour69
November 12th, 2008, 21:52
Yes, the is a big difference between PAL (europe and Australia) and NTSC (USA and Japan). Back in the day ntsc had 60hz while pal had 50hz (but better picture quality, there is a joke that NTSC stands for Never The Same Colour) I would guess that where the root of the problem is. If you could borrow a friends wii (PAL) and try it on the TV, see if it has the same problem...