PDA

View Full Version : Emulators in Commercial Dreamcast Games

wraggster
August 15th, 2004, 17:27
Im gonna make some pages of confirmed emulators in commercial Dreamcast games just to show newcomers and oldies alike that the big companies use emulators too.

First one that comes to mind is the

Sega Smash Pack v1 with the infamous Genesis emulator dubbed "segagen" by the warez sites/scene.

anyone think of others and what systems being emulated.

souLLy
August 15th, 2004, 17:38
Shenmue has the arcade, whether or not these are emulators or remakes i have no idea, same with the namco retro pack and the midway one.

Hola
August 15th, 2004, 18:38
The shenmue ones are remakes I know that for a fact.

How about the PCEngine emulator that comes with DreamPassport 3. It Also came with a updated version of SegaGENS.

Its a shame no one ever ripped them.

wraggster
August 15th, 2004, 18:49
the ripped comment isnt needed but your correct about the Pcengine emu

Hola
August 15th, 2004, 20:09
Eh I dont think Sega would even care anymore but thats besides the point.

MetaFox
August 15th, 2004, 20:10
Sega Smash Pack v1 with the infamous Genesis emulator dubbed "segagen" by the warez sites/scene.It was dubbed "segagen" by 007Cheater. It was called the "Echelon Loader" or "Obsidian" by the warez scene.

Hola
August 15th, 2004, 20:40
Now adays everyone calls it SegaGEN.
Also the orginal release wasnt called Obsidian as Obsidian is yet another hack of Sega Smash pack. It made the font easier to read and not small plus made the menu on the saving screen much clearer.

And also on a end note we've already listed the only comerical emus for DC so we mines well close the topic.

wraggster
August 15th, 2004, 20:55
actually theres more

atari anerversary contains an emu im sure

erm

Midway arcade hits

Yu suzukis game

more as i remember them

MetaFox
August 15th, 2004, 21:28
Yu suzukis gameYu Suzuki's Game Works had the same remakes of the arcade games that Shemue and Shenmue II had, plus a remake of Power Drift. It definately wasn't emulation.

Hola
August 15th, 2004, 21:54
Nah theres only the 2. And the atari is more along the lines of the ports of Chrono trigger to psx. It used the orginal rom for something but its not emulated.

quzar
August 16th, 2004, 00:18
Nah theres only the 2. And the atari is more along the lines of the ports of Chrono trigger to psx. It used the orginal rom for something but its not emulated.

Chrono Trigger on psx used the rom for images... the atari has no graphics though. There is no way that they couldnt have made an emulator for the games that are on there.

MetaFox
August 16th, 2004, 02:19
Chrono Trigger on psx used the rom for images... the atari has no graphics though. There is no way that they couldnt have made an emulator for the games that are on there.They're talking about Atari's arcade games, but I agree with the fact that they're simple enough to have pure emulation in the package.

I'm confident that Namco Museum used ports of their arcade games, rather than emulation - since there are alot of tricks and quirks that you could pull off in the arcade that you just couldn't do in that collection.

curt_grymala
August 18th, 2004, 19:55
Of course - we don't just have to talk about the DC, do we?

For instance - I thought it was decided that the GB/GBC backward-compatibility in the GBA was actually some sort of emulation.
Also - I'm guessing that the Galaga that was included in the SNES version of Mortal Kombat (I think it was MK3, but I may be wrong) was emulated.
And there are a lot of "collections" of classic games, but I don't know if they're emulated or not (including those neat little machines that have everything built right into the controller).

Hola
August 18th, 2004, 19:58
Well isnt that not about the GBC/GB because the GBA has a Z80 for sound and all the other core parts a GB had. The DS doesnt and it doesnt play GBC/GB games.