PDA

View Full Version : Is This The Last PS2 Game Magazine Cover?

Shrygue
November 24th, 2008, 19:29
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5097767/is-this-the-last-ps2-game-magazine-cover)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2008/11/plapersona.jpg

Who would have thought that this late in the console's life cycle that a PlayStation 2 game would make the cover of a major gaming publication? The latest issue of Play magazine features Atlus' upcoming RPG Persona 4, with a whole slew of special Shin Megami Tensei-themed features packed inside. It's really an odd sight to see, especially considering the other games listed in the top-right corner of the cover - Afro Samurai, Mirror's Edge, Resistance 2, Sonic Unleashed, and Prince of Persia - all big name, current generation titles.

I get the feeling this is a sort of swan song for the aging console, but what do you guys think? Is this the last time a PS2 title will grace the cover of a major multi-platform gaming mag, or does the little black box still have some life in it yet?

HI-Saturn
November 24th, 2008, 21:03
The PS2 still has another year in it yet sony has positioned it really against the Wii in so much as it releases its casual titles and Collection sets (ex King of fighters and such) which is just fine with me.

WhizzBang
November 24th, 2008, 21:41
I do not think the PS2 era was as good as the PS1 era. The PS2 may have outsold the PS1 and had better graphics, etc, but I have much better memories of the PS1.

On the PS1 there was Wipeout, Formula 1, Tomb Raider, Rage Racer, Final Fantasy VII, Actua Soccer, Bishi Bashi, Gran Turismo, tekken, Metal Gear Solid, Parrapa The Rapper, and loads more that all seemed special at the time.

The PS2 had Katamari Damaci, Grand Theft Auto 3, and a bunch of PS1 updates that at best (Gran Turismo, MGS) continued the franchise progression or at worst (Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness) nearly killed the game. Eye Toy and Sing Star were fairly innovative though.

Eviltaco64
November 24th, 2008, 21:48
I think there was more effort from Sony during the PS1 days in order to get off the ground and all that.

Still, the PS2 era was and is still pretty good.