PDA

View Full Version : Golden Sun 1 & 2 full-speed?

SamSoNight
December 7th, 2008, 13:20
I hope this is the right section of the forum:

So i tried to play Golden Sun 1 & 2 with gpSP Kai 3.2 Test 8.7 and got problems with the sound in GS1. It crackles and stutters a bit. In GS2 it's even worse, the sound stutters terribly and the game itself runs fairly slow too.
I tried many settings out, but none seem to help.
CPU speed is of course set to 333MHz.

Anyone got an idea?

Tesseract
December 8th, 2008, 00:09
Hmmm... I just fired it up to try to see if I had any problems, but it was silky smooth. Is this just when you go out to the 'World Map'?

For the record, I'm using the UO GPSP Kai3.2 Test 8.7 as well.

SamSoNight
December 8th, 2008, 05:38
Nope the sound messes up everywhere. GS1 is smooth only the sound crackles. But GS2 is slow and the sound stutters. Which settings do you use?

Tesseract
December 9th, 2008, 03:50
The only one I recall offhand was that the Sound was at 4096, and I know I'm playing full screen.

I'll see if I can't test again and copy down more details. I had to wrestle with my PC into the wee hours of the morning last 'night', so I've not had much time for anything else. ^^;

SamSoNight
December 9th, 2008, 06:01
I tried now "gpSP Mod". GS1 runs quite smooth but in battle the sound crackles and the game stutters when ever a character or monster attacks.
GS2 is still unenjoyable.
Guess I'll wait till there are better Emus...

Tesseract
December 11th, 2008, 06:13
OK, I figured I'd work with GS2 right off the bat since that seemed to be giving you more trouble. On the version of GPSP I'm using, pressing the Square button brought up a framerate counter, so that was handy.

I found that things worked slightly better with Screen Filtering turned off. I'm using Scaled 3:2, Auto Frameskip with a value of '2'. The Audio Buffer is 4096 bytes.

During battle, it was silky smooth. 60 FPS during normal attacks. It would only slow down when I'd have Jenna cast 'Fume'. 'Flare' didn't even have any issues. Even so, 'Fume' would drop the framerate to 35-40 fps for a few seconds, then it'd be right back to 60fps again.

As far as I could tell, the sound wasn't misbehaving at all... A few blips here and there, but nothing consistant.

Here's (http://dl.qj.net/Gameboy-Advance/pg/12/fid/15439/catid/122) is a link to the version of gPSP I'm using. There's a newer version here (http://dl.qj.net/Gameboy-Advance/pg/12/fid/15864/catid/122), but they're both older than gPSP Mod 20081128.

See if this does any better for ya!

SamSoNight
December 12th, 2008, 18:07
Hey thank you for your advices, but:

I adjusted the Emu exactly like you recommended, but the music is still messed up. Framerates are ok, not great but ok. But the background music runs way to slow. I recommend you play the beginning of GS2 on PSP in the Venus Lighthouse and pay attention to the background music. Then play it on Visualboy Advanve on PC. The difference is very obvious. I assume you've never played it on PC or GBA?
Well then, I think I'll wait for a better Emu, thanks for the help anyway.

Tesseract
December 13th, 2008, 00:44
Actually, I DID play through both on the GBA. :D

Heh... I guess I've been doing Emulation for so long that I don't care too much about slight blurbs. I'm happy if it's playable and if the sound isn't downright PAINFUL. Especially on games that I've already enjoyed once before.

I certainly hope they continue upgrading gPSP, myself. It's a fantastic bit of work, and a few tweaks and improvements would be stellar.