PDA

View Full Version : Is there a GBA "emulator" for Slot 1's?

xelados
December 14th, 2008, 19:14
I've been thinking about how the DS has GBA hardware, and how you can use it when developing DS games. Then it hit me; "What's stopping someone from making an app that feeds data to the GBA hardware to process?"

Such a thing is possible, is it not? It wouldn't really be an emulator.. more of a data sending app. "Choose the ROM you want to play", and "where do you want your save data sent?" would be the only real options. The GBA hardware would take care of the rest.

Does such an app exist for slot-1 devices? I'm pretty sure it's possible and would be simple compared to emulating the entire system. I'd rather not have to buy a slot-2 device just to get this functionality.

crookedmouth
December 15th, 2008, 05:09
I'm pretty sure this app doesn't exist. I'm no expert but I don't think that this kind of buffering could work with the slow read speeds of the slot 1. I think if it were this simple someone would have released such a thing.

Basically instead of dreaming about not having to spend 25 bucks(EZFlash V) at the cost of someone else's effort. Go ahead and create your own destiny by grabbing one. :)

xelados
December 28th, 2008, 10:55
Ah, so they're cheap now, huh? I guess that's what I get for not checking on prices since 2002, rofl. Back then they were like over $100. I guess I'll do that when I get some spare cash..

DanTheManMS
January 8th, 2009, 18:00
I've been thinking about how the DS has GBA hardware, and how you can use it when developing DS games. Then it hit me; "What's stopping someone from making an app that feeds data to the GBA hardware to process?"

Such a thing is possible, is it not? It wouldn't really be an emulator.. more of a data sending app. "Choose the ROM you want to play", and "where do you want your save data sent?" would be the only real options. The GBA hardware would take care of the rest.

Does such an app exist for slot-1 devices? I'm pretty sure it's possible and would be simple compared to emulating the entire system. I'd rather not have to buy a slot-2 device just to get this functionality.

If it was that easy, it would have been done long before now. In order for GBA games to function properly on the DS, you must be running in GBA mode because the ARM7 functions entirely differently when in DS mode. When in GBA mode you have no access to any DS-specific stuff, including the slot-1 cartridge and the DS's RAM, so you'd have no place to store the game.

Buying a 3in1 is the best solution.