PDA

View Full Version : Does my PSP have the ghosting problem?

lorenzo68
January 24th, 2006, 05:31
I read on wikipedia that earlier models of the PSP had ghosting problems where there were objects that trailed when it moved. I havent paid attention too much about this before I read the article. My unit had 1.52 installed when I got it, so Im not sure if mine was considered the "earlier" model or was it just fine... :confused: The article said I could tell if I played GTA and exploded something big - unfortunately I dont have the game right now so I can't test it. I have however in Wipeout saw weapon explosion that resembled pixel-particles (I'm not sure if that was part of the game's style or was it hardware problem)... So how can I figure it out?

yaustar
January 24th, 2006, 13:11
Tbh, I thought all PSPs have ghosting problems due to the LCDs low refresh rate.

one winged angel
January 24th, 2006, 14:23
yeah mine have it too

lorenzo68
January 25th, 2006, 00:11
Tbh, I thought all PSPs have ghosting problems due to the LCDs low refresh rate.

According to the Wikipedia article - the newer models with 2.50 firmwares don't have it... Can anyone verify this? :confused:

ayhoung
January 25th, 2006, 01:42
shit really? lol im gonna have to test it out on my friends psp then. the first thing i noticed about gta on mine was the ghosting problems, kinda turned me off about it but i got used to it.

Produkt
January 25th, 2006, 02:17
The refresh rate of the PSP IS 60hz something about the signal and volts the LCD is receiving causes the ghosting... so wile the PSP can refresh the image at 60 frames it still lingers to the high energy content... get it?

(I THINK! DONT HOLD ME TO IT)

Forever~Zero
January 26th, 2006, 11:41
I dont think i have that problem and i am running on firmware v2.60. Cant really tell since i dont have GTA for my PSP.

Produkt
January 26th, 2006, 22:41
If you have socom or any other game where you can "Turn" around (360) then you will be able to tell

if it blur's slightly then you have the problem if it "Skips" with no blur then you are fine.

lorenzo68
January 27th, 2006, 01:18
I'm running my Ape Escape: On The Loose game and I can't tell if it's blurry or what you call "skipping" when I do the 360 thing ..... :confused:

Forever~Zero
January 27th, 2006, 07:50
If you have socom or any other game where you can "Turn" around (360) then you will be able to tell

if it blur's slightly then you have the problem if it "Skips" with no blur then you are fine.

No Socom either. I only have Armoured Core Formula Front and Untold Legends.

Produkt
January 27th, 2006, 12:35
those will work just spin the world around in Untold Legends, and if you see it blur (badly) then you have ghosting....

Forever~Zero
January 28th, 2006, 04:23
those will work just spin the world around in Untold Legends, and if you see it blur (badly) then you have ghosting....

I tried both last night. Turning the wholde map of Untold Legends around until my head started getting dizzy. I dint see anything blurred when i did that. My characther was stationary. And in AC Formula Front i moved my whole mech so i can see all 360 degrees of the map and i dont see any blurred vision either. In fact both games look as clean as ever. So i guess firmware v2.60 doesnt have the ghosting problem.

pepegomez
January 28th, 2006, 15:40
well if im palying burnout, i dont have this ghost mode but if i watch eminems latest music video i can see a shine at his back while ehs movin

lorenzo68
January 28th, 2006, 21:28
So i guess firmware v2.60 doesnt have the ghosting problem.

Wait I'm confused - so if this Ghosting a physical hardware (LCD) problem or is it a software (firmware) issue?

Forever~Zero
January 29th, 2006, 09:33
Wait I'm confused - so if this Ghosting a physical hardware (LCD) problem or is it a software (firmware) issue?

Not sure either all i can say is my v2.60 PSP doesnt have this problem.

Freakshow!
January 29th, 2006, 15:58
Its a hardware issue, not a software issue. Its the way that LCDs work. Proffesor Freak explains ;)

Basically the LCD pixel has an on and off position (colour is done differently so ignore colour for now) If its on, the liquid crystal is aligned vertically, which blocks your eye from seeing past that point, so you look at this crystal. Then if it needs to be off, it will rotate to a horizontal position and allow your eye to see past it. This movement is not instaneous and on slower LCDs the ghosting is where the crystal is still changing position, when it ought to have already finished. Therefore you see this ghosting.

The refresh rate of all LCDs is 60Hz. You should leave it at 60Hz on your PC monitor etc. The important thing is the number of milliseconds (ms). This shows how long it takes for the crystal to change position. 16 and below and you won't see any ghosting. If your PSP has ghosting issue, you won't be able to fix it (unless you take the PSP apart and replace the LCD) If it's really bad send it off to sony saying you become ill due to the ghosting. If you act thick enough, sometimes they will send you a replacement.