PDA

View Full Version : DC Microphone

Parappa
January 15th, 2005, 09:54
Hi,
Is there a driver for the dc microphone? Never heard of that, but it would be cool to use the mic for hombrew apps. Dunno if its possible to easily create a driver for it, but I got some nice idea's with the thingy so if possible I might go and set my mind to it.

FrierTuck
January 15th, 2005, 17:25
you could just use a regular mic while on the pc and find script when u actually put it in dreamcast format, but untill then you dont need anything special

LyonHrt
January 15th, 2005, 17:37
If your on about kos support, i don't think there is any support for the microphone at this moment.
Would be interesting if it was though, but would require a lot of work.
Same with devices such as the dreameye.

MetaFox
January 15th, 2005, 19:30
Oh yeah.

A Karaoke Revolution game on the Dreamcast would rock me.

/me drools just thinking about it.

Eric
January 15th, 2005, 20:45
I think in the past Ian had made a Karokee machine if thats in any reference to what your talking about. Of course it didnt go any further cause i dont think he thought it was popular and the project itself wasnt able to do to much.

Parappa
January 16th, 2005, 03:15
First of all, receiving any microphone data would be good. Maybe later on commands could be thrown through the mic. Although this is a lot harder.

curt_grymala
January 16th, 2005, 07:42
Oh yeah.

A Karaoke Revolution game on the Dreamcast would rock me.

/me drools just thinking about it.

/me imagines the day Cryptic Allusion releases Karaoke of Fury. ;D

DanPotter
January 16th, 2005, 09:55
/me imagines the day Cryptic Allusion releases Karaoke of Fury. ;D

Don't hold your breath too hard on that one ;)

No one's ever reverse engineered the microphone. Some DC Linux guys gave it a shot several times and never really got anywhere. Anyone else wants to try, you're welcome. :) Anyone else manages to get a working driver, make sure you get on the KOS list and talk on there about it since we have two new maintainers.

Imerion
March 24th, 2005, 18:13
I was looking into the idea of seeing a "Singstar"-like game on the DC so I tried to find any info on the Microphone. I found this document : http://www.dreamcast.info/docs/maple_bus.html
Perhaps it is of any help.
Here is an extract : "the output of a microphone 345 is amplified to a suitable level by an amplifier 344 and then sampled by an A/D converter 343. The sampled sound data is stored alternately in first and second registers (FIFO) of a buffer memory 342. This data is read out by a bus controller 341 and transmitted to the transmission and reception buffer of the MIE 304. The sound data is formed into frames by the MIE 304 and transmitted to the host (game device). This function makes it possible to use the host as a sound input, "karaoke," telephone, or communications device."

BlueCrab
March 26th, 2005, 03:46
I was trying to write a driver for the Microphone (after purchasing two of them from a local video game store). I unfortunatly figured very little out. I found a few commands that seemed to reply with something other than an error, but never anything that looked like sound samples.