PDA

View Full Version : Dump game save data from GBA cartridge

batfastad
December 21st, 2008, 19:31
Hi guys

I've got a GBA SP but I find myself hardly playing it these days

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tool/method to get the internal save data off a GBA cartridge and onto your computer, so its usable by an emulator, like Visualboyadvance?

I want to try and preserve my Mario Kart Super Circuit times

EDIT: After a bit of searching around, it seems it is possible with a DS running homebrew. Unfortunately I don't have a DS.
So is this possible with just a GBA SP, and some sort of USB flash cartridge thing or something for the hardware side of things?
I looked into getting a flash cartridge for GBA carts a while back, but got confused with the different models/specs

Any ideas?
Cheers, B

batfastad
January 1st, 2009, 14:56
Hi guys
Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks, Ben

DanTheManMS
January 8th, 2009, 19:25
If you have a USB cable that connects to the GBA's link port, it will probably be supported by the FlashManager program, in which case you can use that program to dump the save files off of your games. I personally use the F2A USB cable, which works fine (though EEPROM saves need to have every 8 bytes flipped, which can be done through a custom program).

Otherwise, if you get a DLDI-capable slot-2 device, you can run Chishm's cart_save program, which has you swap cartridges to dump the save and then swap again to write the data to a removable media card.

batfastad
January 9th, 2009, 10:09
Ok this is great news :D

Do you know where I could get a link cable compatible with the FlashManager program?
Or a Flash2Advance USB cable?

Thanks, B

DanTheManMS
January 10th, 2009, 20:58
To be honest, I've been searching around for them myself, and they're rather hard to find.

You could also try looking around for some commercial product. Perhaps there's some Gameshark-like cartridge that can backup save files to your computer.