PDA

View Full Version : DC Coders Cable

PS2Atari
December 15th, 2004, 02:03
Hey everyone, today I revieved my coders cable in the mail, but I'm having trouble using it..

I don't know what com port its using, but I only have three so it shouldn't be too hard to figure that out.. but whenever I run dc-tool (whith the dreamcast running the serial server) it just does nothing... no matter what comport I set it to with "dc-tool -t comX"

I think the fact might be, that I have to use an sort-of serial extension cable, since the monitor my dc uses is more than a pathetic 1 and a half feet away from my pc.

my extension calbe isn't truely for serial tho, it looks sorta like this one:

http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ExtModCable.jpg

on one end it's a standard 9-pin female, and at the other end is the 25-pin wider male-port, with an adaptor that converts it back to a 9-pin male outlet, in which I then plug the coders cable into, to buy me an extra 6-feet

could this be the problem? It would be difficult for me to test the cable by itself, but if this set up should work, what else could be the problem?

thanks for any help,
)>-PS2Atari-<(

quzar
December 15th, 2004, 02:19
um... that extension cable will NOT work. as for com port, i would suggest messing with your speed settings in windows, because it may not work properly if your maximum speed is set below the default speed of dc-tool.

PS2Atari
December 15th, 2004, 12:21
thanks, I'll have to try to find a way to get my dc closer to my pc.

as for the com port, maybe that will clear up once I'm using just the cable, or maybe a real serial extension cable

Thanks
)>-PS2Atari-<(