PDA

View Full Version : Frodo C64 emulator ported to Wii

SimonKagstrom
January 6th, 2009, 15:23
Hi!

I've ported the Frodo C64 emulator by Christian Bauer to Wii:

http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com/files/frodo-wii-tv_medium.jpg

The port is playable with sound and both joysticks available. Source and binaries can be downloaded from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com and the wiibrew wiki has some more usage instructions at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo

It has only been tested in 480i mode on a PAL TV (the 50Hz mode gives me a headache), and there are some sound glitches and probably some other minor bugs.

Usage
Put .t64 or .d64 files in /apps/frodo/images on your SD card. The in-game menu allows you to insert disks/tapes, load them and configure the display, joystick ports etc. Saves will be stored on the SD card and the preferences are stored persistently. Wiimote 1 is by default the joystick in port 1 and wiimote 2 the joystick in port 2, but you can swap this.

v2 new

The main improvements are:

Slightly faster emulation speed
Improved keybindings to the controllers (more keys, also works more like a real keyboard)
Support for the classic controller (although this is untested since I don't have the hardware)
Support for loading .prg, .p00 and .s00 files. Only .prg tested.
Misc smaller bugs have been fixed

Untar the binary archive on your SD card to install. Note that there are some new helper files/dirs compared to the first release, so simply copying boot.dol is not enough.

V3 Whats New

I've released version 3, which fixes the embarassing classic controller problem and some other issues. I simply went and bought one and tested it, and not everything worked as I thought :-) (Thanks also to the various people who reported problems with the classic controller)

A note about the speed: I've fiddled a bit more with that here, and the issue is (obviously) not that the Wii is too slow to emulate a C64. I think SDL_GetTicks() and/or SDL_Delay() behaves strange somehow, so I've replaced that particular part of the implementation. Speed is also configurable now

v4
Merged with the Frodo trunk and build the "SC" version. This should improve emulation somewhat (although there are cases where it's the other way around!). The palette also changes because of this.
Save prefrences together with the C64 state when saving snapshots. This is useful e.g., to have game-specific keybindings
More menu options to type common key sequences, turn on 1541 CPU emulation etc
Link with Yohanes version of SDL-Port, which perhaps brings USB keyboard support. I haven't tested, so please test and fix the code.
Fixed some key binding bugs
Misc smaller improvements here and there

v5
Fixed a truly embarassing bug with the HOME button on the wiimote. Unfortunately,
... It no longer links with Yohanes SDL version, which for some reason broke the menu code with the wiimote (but not the classic controller!). It's probably unrelated but I can't have it like that. Further investigation pending.

version 6

It has two user-visible features:

- A virtual keyboard that can be used to do the key bindings and type stuff
- When loading files from d64 disks, zero-sized files are skipped. This allows some more games to load with LOAD "*",8,1. You would have got "File not found error" for these cases before.

There are also some small bug fixes and quite a bit of internal restructuring, but you have to look at the sources to see that :-)

version 7

I've made another update to Frodo, version 7 with the following changes:

* Make binding joystick directions to other buttons as well (to be able to jump with e.g., 1)
* The direction buttons can also be bound to keyboard keys
* Exit with SYS_RETURNTOMENU to make WAD's work
* Some restructuring and minor bug fixes here and there
* Lots and lots of new code which won't get executed :-)

v8
The Nunchuk and Classic analogue controllers now work as joysticks as well (thanks to Aaron Morris)
Some key binding problems have been corrected
Lots of networking implementation. Won't work yet...

Downloads attached - Give feedback

Stainy
January 6th, 2009, 16:39
Whoa! craaap! [downloaded] see ya in a few hours!!

Sektor
January 6th, 2009, 18:50
Nice port! It was fun playing some of the classics again. The interface works well with just the wiimote.

Stainy
January 6th, 2009, 19:58
Nice... it plays some stuff... and I know this is only the first version... it can`t handle samples and music ingame slows it down somewhat..

But man!! I`m excited with this :) can`t wait for more features...

WhizzBang
January 6th, 2009, 20:02
Excellent news! Thank you very much.

SimonKagstrom
January 6th, 2009, 20:10
Nice... it plays some stuff... and I know this is only the first version... it can`t handle samples and music ingame slows it down somewhat..

Yep, I know the sound is a bit problematic. However, having it slowing down games is a bit unexpected. Do you have an example where this happens?

Anyway, the code is simple to hack on, so please feel free to submit patches to me if you fix something ([email protected])

Stainy
January 6th, 2009, 20:13
Bombjack was running ok till a few more enemies appeared!! also Way of the Exploding fist was a nightmare!

There seems to be a noise over the top of the sound effects/music in most games as well...
Probably wrong to say it was the music slowing it down.. what I probably thought was that the music slows down in games as it seems to struggle.. Like I mentioned with Bomb jack!

:) good work though... I`ll be keeping all my eyes on this one!

SimonKagstrom
January 6th, 2009, 20:34
Bombjack was running ok till a few more enemies appeared!! also Way of the Exploding fist was a nightmare!

There seems to be a noise over the top of the sound effects/music in most games as well...

The way of the exploding fist issue is known, but that's a Frodo emulation problem (it sounds the same on the host) so I can't do very much about that except recommending International karate :-).

I know about the noice, and that's a real issue. Maybe I'll be able to find it someday, I'm not sure.

wraggster
January 6th, 2009, 20:49
awesome release, ill get posting news now :)

evilzippy
January 8th, 2009, 11:34
lol this is cool everytime I see C64 I think of Bitlive great work

Mischa
January 8th, 2009, 12:25
Nice to see someone working on another C64 emulator for the Wii. I will be testing this lately, hope Last ninja works.

thanks.

SimonKagstrom
January 10th, 2009, 18:12
I've released a new version of Frodo today, version 2. More info can be found at http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo, and it can be downloaded from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com.

The main improvements are:

Slightly faster emulation speed
Improved keybindings to the controllers (more keys, also works more like a real keyboard)
Support for the classic controller (although this is untested since I don't have the hardware)
Support for loading .prg, .p00 and .s00 files. Only .prg tested.
Misc smaller bugs have been fixed

Untar the binary archive on your SD card to install. Note that there are some new helper files/dirs compared to the first release, so simply copying boot.dol is not enough.

I'll go back to International Karate now.

scram_dmt
January 11th, 2009, 09:26
Nice work! But 90% of .d64 (scene) releases dont work and emu1541=true cant help to solve a problemm, anyway - why do you port FRODO instead VICE ? VICE has better support - aviable on ppc...

P.S. i'm newbie here - but not in da scene - was sysop on amiga/pc/console bbs since 1997-2007...

SimonKagstrom
January 11th, 2009, 09:31
Nice work! But 90% of .d64 (scene) releases dont work and emu1541=true cant help to solve a problemm, anyway - why do you port FRODO instead VICE ? VICE has better support - aviable on ppc...

I've worked on other ports of Frodo before, so it was easier for me to use that. That said, in the long run I also believe that VICE is a better option and I'd be happy to see it ported to the Wii.

But 90% won't work? What have you tried really? Almost every game I've tried runs just fine.

And forget my ignorance, but what does "scene" mean? Demos?

wraggster
January 11th, 2009, 12:34
thanks for the update :)

Stainy
January 11th, 2009, 15:38
Yes.. thanks Simon.. Everything runs alot quicker now :) Exploding fist is still funny... it plays ok... but the samples are laboured to the max :) hhehe
Hope you keep going with this!!

I saw Vice for thr Wii the other day... but you needed some linux flavour on your sd card for it to run from ! huh ?

Baboon
January 11th, 2009, 15:59
Nice release.

IK+, army moves, ghost n goblins, robocop, Emlyn Hughes Soccer, Sanxion, zaxxon etc etc all seem to run very well. :)

I can't get Creatures 1&2, R-type, Battle Chess and North & South to work on frodo though? I've tried numerous versions of the games but have had no joy. Can anyone confirm if they've got any of them to work??

I just wish the specky emu FUSE was getting regular updates like this (instead of being abandoned).

@SimonKagstrom: I see on wiibrew you've requested the source for wiiUAE. If(or when) this gets released would you also be looking at updating this emu too?

SimonKagstrom
January 11th, 2009, 17:35
@Stainy: Unfortunately I can't do anything about the sound in exploding fist - that's a frodo emulation problem and exists also on the host. You can turn the sound samples off in exploding fist with (I think) del, so that you only get the music.

@Baboon: I have no plans to do something about UAE, but UAE is GPL so the source code *must* be released. UAE is a really great emulator, so it would be nice to see it on the wii!

scram_dmt
January 11th, 2009, 19:38
I've worked on other ports of Frodo before, so it was easier for me to use that. That said, in the long run I also believe that VICE is a better option and I'd be happy to see it ported to the Wii.

But 90% won't work? What have you tried really? Almost every game I've tried runs just fine.

And forget my ignorance, but what does "scene" mean? Demos?

"scene" is realy means more than "demoscene" (that is legal scene) , but there is illegal (hackers) scene exist with "releases" - cracked games with intros & trainers ( TRSI/AFL/FLT) - try to run some of illegal releases from that groups - its difficult to get it done,all
games i have is an illegal scene releases - and i told you about it. exuse me for my bad english - i'm a russian... i send to you in PM links for that releases which is problem to run - may b i doing something wrong?...

scram_dmt
January 11th, 2009, 19:43
@Stainy: Unfortunately I can't do anything about the sound in exploding fist - that's a frodo emulation problem and exists also on the host. You can turn the sound samples off in exploding fist with (I think) del, so that you only get the music.

@Baboon: I have no plans to do something about UAE, but UAE is GPL so the source code *must* be released. UAE is a really great emulator, so it would be nice to see it on the wii!

Port of UAE for wii is already released - and based on UAE4ALL sources - that IMHO is not best choice for AMiGA emulator,best choice is E-UAE that runs on Linux/PPC good, existing port of wii UAE4ALL had really sound issues...but graphics is going well...

SimonKagstrom
January 11th, 2009, 19:45
Well the general rule is to try a cople of different images, I've found that sometimes one of them works while others fail. Frodo will not handle all games, and I can't do anything about that, sorry. [1] :-(

Almost all games I've tried are "scene" ones and most of them work fine.

[1] Well, there is some compilation flags to Frodo which can affect this, but I'd like a generic way of handling it (since other games fail instead then!)

SimonKagstrom
January 11th, 2009, 20:09
I've released version 3, which fixes the embarassing classic controller problem and some other issues. I simply went and bought one and tested it, and not everything worked as I thought :-) (Thanks also to the various people who reported problems with the classic controller)

A note about the speed: I've fiddled a bit more with that here, and the issue is (obviously) not that the Wii is too slow to emulate a C64. I think SDL_GetTicks() and/or SDL_Delay() behaves strange somehow, so I've replaced that particular part of the implementation. Speed is also configurable now.

More on http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo as usual.

No need to do an announcement for this one. :-)

Baboon
January 11th, 2009, 20:55

A note about the speed: I've fiddled a bit more with that here, and the issue is (obviously) not that the Wii is too slow to emulate a C64. I think SDL_GetTicks() and/or SDL_Delay() behaves strange somehow, so I've replaced that particular part of the implementation. Speed is also configurable now.

More on http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo as usual.

No need to do an announcement for this one. :-)

Hey your on fire with the new releases! :) ...will try this out in a bit.

Out of interest have you managed to get Creatures 1&2, R-type, North & South or Battle Chess working?

SimonKagstrom
January 11th, 2009, 21:07
Hey your on fire with the new releases! :) ...will try this out in a bit.

Out of interest have you managed to get Creatures 1&2, R-type, North & South or Battle Chess working?

It's weekend :-) (And v2 had some embarassing bugs...)

I've only tried Creatures 1 with the same results as you. I guess these won't work, unfortunately. What you can test is to download frodo for your host computer and try around there, at least the turn-around time is shorter that way!

buddypepper
January 12th, 2009, 15:05
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for porting Frodo! I was hoping that someone would get a C64 emu for the Wii! That said, I'm having a few issues....1) I can't use my keyboard with it - now, maybe that not something that is supposed to work just yet on the Wii - but it would be nice. 2) Same as a few other people, I can't get any games to run. I used to have Frodo on my Palm PDA, and had had a bunch of working games - I can't find them now, so I downloaded about 15 games (.d64) the other day and can't get any of them to work. I understand that that's beyond your control, but maybe you could post a site that has working (mostly) roms for Frodo? Then again, that just may take more homework on my part....Thanks again for the great work!

Baboon
January 14th, 2009, 00:23
Mayhem in Monsterland is another that doesn't seem to play ball. Anyone found a working version of that game?

Dropzone is working sweet though. :)

petspeed
January 16th, 2009, 14:03
Hi Simon

Thank you so much for porting Frodo to Wii. I would really like to play all those old games on my tv again.

However, I can't get this to work. I have tried with 15-20 different games and not a single one of them will load. I to as follow (I am at work now so I don't remember the exact name of the menu items):

Enter the menu and choose Insert disk or tape and choose the game I want with A button.
Enter the menu again and choose Load disk or tape with A button.

Whnat happens is that it writes load"*",8,1 and executes that. I don't have time enough to see what it is writing before it the screen is cleared and it writes READY. If I try to choose load again from the menu it writes load"*",8,1 and deletes it again without executing the command. It does that until I choose Reset C64 from the menu and start all over again. Same thing happens for all games.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thank you

Sektor
January 16th, 2009, 16:25
LOAD "*",8,1 loads the first program on the disk and that can sometimes be nothing or not what you want to run.

For some games you will need to do something like the steps below but that will be too much hassle with the current typing method:

1) Insert a disk and type LOAD "$",8
2) Type LIST. You should see a list of program files.
3) Find out what program you want to load and type LOAD "name of program",8,1
4) When the program has loaded, type RUN

SimonKagstrom
January 16th, 2009, 17:39
@petspeed: What I can recommend (besides what sektor wrote) is to try the games on Frodo on your host.

The next release will be based on FrodoSC, which will improve emulation somewhat (but don't expect miracles).

SimonKagstrom
January 16th, 2009, 18:33
I've released version 4 now. As always, see http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo for more information and http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com for download and source.

The most important changes are these:

* Merge with Frodo CVS trunk and build FrodoSC instead of "plain" Frodo. This should improve emulation of some games, although not all.
* Save preferences together with the state when saving states. Useful e.g., to have game-specific key bindings
* Build with Yohanes version of libSDL. Perhaps that adds USB keyboard support, but I have no way of testing. Please fix the code if it doesn't work :-)
* Some key binding bugs fixed
* Some more menu options to control various things

SimonKagstrom
January 16th, 2009, 20:33
(Not sure where the bug report message went).

Anyway, you were right. The home button on the wiimote or the menu does bad things in this one. So, embarassingly enough, I've made a shiny new release, version 5!

This one contains the following feature:

* HOME button on the wiimote works again

And has removed the following feature:

- Untested USB keyboard support

Since that apparently broke HOME and/or the menu. For some wicked reason, it worked fine on the classic controller.

Same location for sources and binaries as always.

Baboon
January 16th, 2009, 20:35
I've released version 4 now. As always, see http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo for more information and http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com for download and source.

The most important changes are these:

* Merge with Frodo CVS trunk and build FrodoSC instead of "plain" Frodo. This should improve emulation of some games, although not all.
* Save preferences together with the state when saving states. Useful e.g., to have game-specific key bindings
* Build with Yohanes version of libSDL. Perhaps that adds USB keyboard support, but I have no way of testing. Please fix the code if it doesn't work :-)
* Some key binding bugs fixed
* Some more menu options to control various things

Theres a big problem with the v4 build. Once youve loaded the emu everytime you press enter to got to the options screen it quits out to the homewbrew channel? :confused:

The same errors has been reported on Tehskeen.

The release notes look good so hopefuly you can sort this ickle problem out? Ta

edit: I see v5 is out so hopefuly thats sorted it. lol Thanx in advance

Sir_Voe
January 16th, 2009, 21:07
I deleted the error report because I thought of a few things it could have been on my end that were causing problems. Thanks for the quick fix.
Nice improvements all around.

Baboon
January 16th, 2009, 21:56
Everything seems to be running well.

A couple games I couldn't get to work before work now (well I also hunted down on obscure sites different crack/trainer versions of games)... North and South, R-type, Creatures 2 and Mayhem in Monsterland now work fine.

Happy days. :)

I just wish we had the keybinding feature in wiiuae as it works great for this emu.

Nazmataz
January 17th, 2009, 14:21
Hi guys, Ive been following the emulation scene closely for years now, being an old school gamer from the early eighties.

Simonkagstrom,...fantastic work.......it really is.
I've emulated most if not all machines on my pc, but to have most if not all of the old school comps and consoles on the wii just makes life so much easier.......Great work all round.........

Nazmataz

SimonKagstrom
January 17th, 2009, 16:50
@everyone: Thanks!

I also forgot to say that the source code to GPF's frodo port is also in subversion. I havent brought over anything from there yet, but will take a look at the code and see if I can merge something in (although it's not always very easy to do so). You can take a look at it in the gpf branch here:

http://code.google.com/p/frodo-wii/source/browse/#svn/branches/gpf

I've got reports about the keyboard in v4 now: It worked except for the shift key, so it was probably of limited use anyway.

Excalibur212
January 17th, 2009, 20:53
Yes, finally Impossible Mission works!!!

The *REAL* Impossible Mission on the Wii (NOT the VC crap remake!)

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos5036/4/92/10/90/58/7/758901092406_0_ALB.jpg

SimonKagstrom
January 17th, 2009, 22:45
Seems to be some permission problem with the image, but glad to hear it works for you :)

petspeed
January 17th, 2009, 22:49
Thank you for your replies Sektor and Simon.

I am aware of how to load a game on a C64, I played a lot C64 back in my youth and I still have my old machine somewhere.

But even the games where the first file is the correct one it was not working. However version 5 solves that. But when I insert the command load "*",8,1 is often writes it wrong. Sometimes it writes lqad and sometimes the first 2 or 4 caracters are missing and then the command failes. Most of the times I can solve it by using the other Wiimote but it happens that I need to reset C64. Does anyone else have this problem?

Some kind of keyboard support would really be appreciated, so I can start the other games aswell.
Version 5 makes it possible to play 2 of my games so it is getting better, thank you Simon.

SimonKagstrom
January 17th, 2009, 22:55
The "LOQD" error is a timing bug. Just try again, it usually works the second time.

The "autoload" is a bit of a hack (originally taken from a dreamcast port of Frodo), so it's not completely stable and you can get that problem.

A general tip is to save the state at the game startup and just load the state next time.

SimonKagstrom
January 24th, 2009, 11:53
I've released version 6 today. Can be downloaded from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com as always.

It has two user-visible features:

- A virtual keyboard that can be used to do the key bindings and type stuff
- When loading files from d64 disks, zero-sized files are skipped. This allows some more games to load with LOAD "*",8,1. You would have got "File not found error" for these cases before.

There are also some small bug fixes and quite a bit of internal restructuring, but you have to look at the sources to see that :-)

Nazmataz
January 24th, 2009, 15:51
Great stuff!
Got three days off after shift, nicely coinciding with weekend....think I'll give this a little whirl.....
Good work.. :)

Sir_Voe
January 24th, 2009, 20:54
Nice update. The virtual keyboard is really handy. Some trainers don't seem to recognise it's keypresses, but the actual game menus do. Do you see the virtual keyboard eventually being used via Wiimote pointing? It would be really nice to be able to hold down a button in game and bring up a transparent OSK that you could point and click on.

SimonKagstrom
January 24th, 2009, 22:20
A transparent pointing keyboard that works while games are running would be useful, but unfortunately probably a bit tricky to implement. The current menu system and keyboard is completely contained "outside" of the regular frodo and is therefore very simple.

So I don't know, the current keyboard works fine for me and until I need something better I'm unlikely to do something about the situation :-)

petspeed
January 24th, 2009, 23:08
Hi Simon

Awesome new features. Now a LOT more of my games start with LOAD"*",8,1. And for those that don't the keyboard makes it a lot easier...

Thank you very much.

Sir_Voe
January 24th, 2009, 23:58
So I don't know, the current keyboard works fine for me and until I need something better I'm unlikely to do something about the situation :-)

Works fine for me too. I just noticed the pulled release with experimental usb keyboard support featured a functionless IR reactive cursor, and that put the possibility in my mind. Thanks for replying.

Nazmataz
January 25th, 2009, 04:14
Works well,..nice touch......... :)

Mischa
January 25th, 2009, 11:36
Very nice work, i am playing almost every favourite game i had on the c64. This is what i waited for, and it was worth the wait.

This in reply to version 5, going to check out version 6 right away.

Thanx for such a nice emulator

SimonKagstrom
January 25th, 2009, 12:33
@Sir Voe: the pointer was there by default and not something I've added. Anyway, anyone is free to implement that :-)

chrisino
January 31st, 2009, 12:15
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the hard work you have put in on the emulator.

I have a noob question though.

My classic controller doesnt work whatever I do.

I swap ports and plug it in prior to booting and nothing happens.

What is supposed to happen in the left hand corner where it says gamecube initialisation exit?

Do you have to compile your own version for the classic controller to work?

Again sorry about the stupid question.

SimonKagstrom
January 31st, 2009, 13:55
The gamecube initialization stuff is from SDL (or some printout from libogc, I don't know). Anyway, I don't know why your classic controller doesn't work - I don't do anything special. I typically have it plugged in before I start the emulator, but I think I've tried to plug it in at runtime without problems (it should work then as well).

You are not talking about a gamecube controller, right? Those are not supported (but again: Please contribute code to add your favourite feature!)

chrisino
January 31st, 2009, 22:55
Is a wii/gamecube controller different to a classic controller?

Guess it must be.

Which version of mayhem in monsterland works as my version worked for the first 2 levels and then a black screen seems to be the norm.

SimonKagstrom
February 1st, 2009, 09:41
Yes, the classic controller is an "extension" to the wiimote. I don't know anything about the gamecube controller, but I'm pretty sure it's not compatible to the classic controller.

Starscream
February 1st, 2009, 16:20
A transparent pointing keyboard that works while games are running would be useful, but unfortunately probably a bit tricky to implement. The current menu system and keyboard is completely contained "outside" of the regular frodo and is therefore very simple.

Hmm, you mean won't try to implement USB-Keyboard support again? Aww.

SimonKagstrom
February 1st, 2009, 20:03
@starscream: I don't have an USB keyboard and not very much personal interest in it, so this is an area where I would appreciate support from others: Yohanes has done basically all of the work already, so some debugging is probably all that's needed.

So yes, I'm lazy and self-centric, but since it's all open-source I don't think it's a big problem either :-)

Stainy
February 9th, 2009, 23:31
Whoa! you fixed the samples in WOTEF !! well done Simon :) I`m at 2nd Dan now :) hahah fantastic.. keep up the good work

SimonKagstrom
February 11th, 2009, 18:38
@Stainy: I didn't do anything there really, it's just the SC-version of Frodo which does a better emulation job. This came with version 4.

Took a while before I understood what WOTEF is as well :-)

SimonKagstrom
February 23rd, 2009, 20:01
I've made another update to Frodo, version 7 with the following changes:

* Make binding joystick directions to other buttons as well (to be able to jump with e.g., 1)
* The direction buttons can also be bound to keyboard keys
* Exit with SYS_RETURNTOMENU to make WAD's work
* Some restructuring and minor bug fixes here and there
* Lots and lots of new code which won't get executed :-)

Can be downloaded from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com as usual.

Monty31
February 24th, 2009, 14:27
Nice work Simon. :)

I noticed I have an issue with screen tearing during gameplay. Is this a problem with frodo or is there settings on the wii to stop this.

regards

yakboy
February 24th, 2009, 15:19
Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to load a rom with this emulator. I wish you could just browse from a list like other emulators. It's frustrating because I have not gotten a rom to load. If someone could please give me the steps would be great.

SimonKagstrom
February 24th, 2009, 18:42
@Monty31: It's a frodo issue, so Wii changes will not fix it.

@yakboy: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo contains instructions of how to add t64/d64 files. You browse from a list just like in other emulators! :-)

A note to everyone: If you have problems with the joystick not working, check the joystick button bindings - you can now also bind the direction keys on the wiimote.

yakboy
February 24th, 2009, 19:29
@Monty31: It's a frodo issue, so Wii changes will not fix it.

@yakboy: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo contains instructions of how to add t64/d64 files. You browse from a list just like in other emulators! :-)

A note to everyone: If you have problems with the joystick not working, check the joystick button bindings - you can now also bind the direction keys on the wiimote.

Did they change this in version 7. Am I missing something, what key on the Wii mote to a press to bring up the menu where I can browse the roms? Please tell me what I am missing here? I looked at that link and it doesn't tell you how to load games.

SimonKagstrom
February 24th, 2009, 20:25
Nope, it's the same in v7 - press home to get the menu and then just insert a disk / tape and load it from the "Invoke key sequence" menu.

yakboy
February 24th, 2009, 21:06
I am trying to load Mayhem in Monsterland. If a choose load and then list it shows that it was successful. The problem if i chose load and play then it comes to a flashing screen. Is it the rom maybe not compatible or am I doing some thing wrong? Could someone please give me a list of a few working games so that I can test this?

SimonKagstrom
March 1st, 2009, 08:20
I could use some testing help now, see

http://simonkagstrom.livejournal.com/

Stainy
March 1st, 2009, 10:47
Hi.. having problems with this version..I can`t see the option to bind + and - now.. I`ve just loaded my save state of WOTEF and the joystick doesn`t work..I have to bind the joystick to the up down left and right now ? am I doing something wrong ??

Also I can`t see how you bind the joystick button... my ss worked one with button 1 as the fire button.. reset the c64 and tried again and I can`get the fire working now :(

SimonKagstrom
March 1st, 2009, 10:53
@Stainy: Joystick handling has changed, so for saved states you need to rebind the buttons and resave.

The missing bindings is a bug, will be fixed in next release. They are there with a classic controller so I missed the bug.

Stainy
March 1st, 2009, 10:59
Ah ok.. I can resave.. ..plus looking forward to v8 :) bugfix... mapping the firebutton... is that part of the same bug too ? also run/stop doesn`t seem to work in virtual kb mode. fire button doesn't work, only if you bind it to a direction.

Stainy
March 1st, 2009, 11:54
I am trying to load Mayhem in Monsterland. If a choose load and then list it shows that it was successful. The problem if i chose load and play then it comes to a flashing screen. Is it the rom maybe not compatible or am I doing some thing wrong? Could someone please give me a list of a few working games so that I can test this?

Bomb jack, slicks, ik+, wotef, the epyx games all work. These are the only ones i've tried so far

SimonKagstrom
March 1st, 2009, 12:05
@stainy: You can map any buttons to any joystick directions or fire already in v7, but you need a classic controller for that to work in v7 :-). v8 should fix that.

SimonKagstrom
March 11th, 2009, 21:17
Version 8 has been released today. It can be downloaded from

http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com

as usual. The changes are:

* Nunchuck and analogue part of the classic controller can now be used (Aaron Morris)
* Bugs in keybinding fixed
* Lots of inactive network code

folderol4
March 13th, 2009, 21:02
How do you load a rom. I select a d64 file and the app goes back to the blue screen. I can never start the rom.

Sektor
March 14th, 2009, 03:54
To load a game:

Push home
Choose "insert disc or tape"
Push home
Choose "invoke key sequence"
Usually pick "LOAD "*",8,1

A single insert AND load option would be nice.

congoblase
March 27th, 2009, 20:35
Try my subversion! Many improvements in the image load section. wiimote is joystick port1, nunchuk is port2.

SimonKagstrom
March 30th, 2009, 10:34
@congoblase: Where can I get the source code for this? I'd be happy to give you a branch on the frodo-wii subversion tree where you can develop your stuff.

I'll also integrate any good features you've implemented, provided I can take them in without breaking anything :-)

kurg
March 30th, 2009, 14:24
Is there any possibility to get original C64 displaymodes 288p@50hz and 240p@60hz to work?

That way you don't get headache even with 50hz mode :) (C64 is fully progressive, no interlaced modes possible -> no flickering).

(I think there is no hardware limitation, because example Genesis Megadrive-emulator works with these displaymodes)

SimonKagstrom
April 1st, 2009, 07:20
@kurg I tried this before, and the SDL port doesn't allow you to set other resolutions than 640x480 (maybe with a few exceptions). Lower resolutions gives you only a small window on the screen so is not very useful.

Changing that would mean to rewrite the graphics stuff to work without SDL, which will be quite a bit of work for me.

SimonKagstrom
April 4th, 2009, 17:52
Version 9 has been released moments ago. The main feature in this version is networking, which now works. So go ahead and play some real international karate now!

Download from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com as always.

SimonKagstrom
April 26th, 2009, 10:36
Version 10 has now been released. Get it from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com. The main changes are:

* Holger Eilts has improved the menu layout quite a lot
* Loading separate files in a .D64 from the menu is now possible (Holger Eilts)
* It's possible to store and load files in subdirectories now
* By pressing F10 while in a network game, you can type in a message to the other player with the USB keyboard
* Sound cracks are now gone (thanks to Tantrics new SDL work)

To play network games, you *need* to upgrade to this version (since the version of the network protocol has been bumped up).

Have fun!

// Simon

Baboon
April 26th, 2009, 11:01
Version 10 has now been released. Get it from http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com. The main changes are:

* Holger Eilts has improved the menu layout quite a lot
* Loading separate files in a .D64 from the menu is now possible (Holger Eilts)
* It's possible to store and load files in subdirectories now
* By pressing F10 while in a network game, you can type in a message to the other player with the USB keyboard
* Sound cracks are now gone (thanks to Tantrics new SDL work)

To play network games, you *need* to upgrade to this version (since the version of the network protocol has been bumped up).

Have fun!

// Simon

As allway thanks for the dedication and regular updates to this (now pretty much complete) emulator! :thumbup:

Downloading now! :D

I just wish the programmers for fuse and uae would get the same loving as frodo on the wii.

saschman
April 26th, 2009, 14:19
Hi there,

is there a possibility to implement a driver for the USB-Joystick Competition Pro ?
It would be great to play the old games with an "old" Joystick.
Greetings
Saschman

SimonKagstrom
April 26th, 2009, 14:30
@saschman: I don't know if the Wii even supports USB joysticks, so I don't think that's very likely.

But then again, it's just software so anything is possible!

petspeed
April 26th, 2009, 20:14

Does that mean that Frodo now supports USB keyboard? That would be awsome.

Simon thank you so much for this great emulator, it is actually one of the things I use most on my Wii.

SimonKagstrom
April 27th, 2009, 07:30

Yes, it supports USB keyboards now (actually since last version).

petspeed
April 27th, 2009, 10:13

Yes, it supports USB keyboards now (actually since last version).

Supercool! I must have missed that, but I am also still running v8... updating ASAP. Thank you.

munky6
May 15th, 2009, 22:12
Hi I like this, I'm running it on a USA NTSC Wii (3.2U)

I'm having the following issues with it:

It doesn't seem to load or run .T64 files, keeps saying
?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR

when I try to insert and run .T64 files.

Also, you had said that in version 10 the sound crackling was gone due to Tantric's SDL updates, but it seems to still have sound crackling... Does this have to do with me using an NTSC Wii?

Also, could you provide docs explaining what all the entries in the frodorc file do? Thank you

Gaffer
June 14th, 2009, 16:04
Hi.

Just got this but it doesn't seem to be working at all (I couldn't find a simple readme file anywhere, the wiibrew wiki doesn't have much detail on it, and the googlesource page has even less info - so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong).

I'm running 3.4E and the latest HBC (as of June 09).

I go into the HBC and launch Frodo. I already have about 14 .d64 files in the 'images' sub-folder.

After launching the screen goes black. 5 seconds later I'm back in the HBC main menu.

I now check to make sure and, yes, the small 'world' icon in the bottom right of HBC's main menu is lit (indicating that I'm succesfully connected to my router).

Try again : Launch Frodo -> screen black for about 5 seconds -> chucked back into HBC

Read the docs in the other "source" download (I'm using the pre-compiled binary download but d/l'd the source file separately as I couldn't any docs elsewhere) and get basic/kernal/1541/char roms and place them in the Frodo folder in the hope that maybe I need those too :
Launch Frodo -> screen black for about 5 seconds -> chucked back into HBC

Start again from scratch:
re-download the latest Frodo Wii binary build. Place into my 'apps' folder.
Place my 14 games into the 'images' subfolder.
Place SD card into Wii
Launch HBC - Frodo shows up :).
Launch Frodo -> screen black for about 5 seconds -> chucked back into HBC :mad:.

I'm probably doing something very basic wrong, but would someone be able to tell me what it is? :confused:

Thanx for any help :).

Sektor
June 14th, 2009, 16:42
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Everything you need is included in frodo-wii-bin-10.tar.gz, you don't need the source. It is meant to start up with the blue C64 screen even if you don't have any images in the folder. It works on my system but I'm running 3.1E and bootmii. Try unplugging everything (USB devices and gamecube memory cards) to see if there is some conflict.

BBE24
June 14th, 2009, 17:45
Does anyone know how to run a multi disk game on this? I have a ROM of simpsons arcade game that's 3 disks long. But I dont' know how to pick the file that will make the game run.

There is 3 .d64 files, one for each disk. And then even after you highlight one of those .d64 files it takes you to ANOTHER list of selectable files after that.

SimonKagstrom
June 14th, 2009, 18:21
@BBE24: Try the first one, it's usually the one which will load the game. You'll need to replace the disk somewhere in the game though, just insert it without loading then.

@gaffer: See to it that you have the fonts installed in /apps/frodo/ as well (*.ttf) and the frodorc file. If you have those, I don't know what's causing your problems. It should be enough to just unpack the tarball on your SD card.

Gaffer
June 14th, 2009, 18:29
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Everything you need is included in frodo-wii-bin-10.tar.gz, you don't need the source. It is meant to start up with the blue C64 screen even if you don't have any images in the folder. It works on my system but I'm running 3.1E and bootmii. Try unplugging everything (USB devices and gamecube memory cards) to see if there is some conflict.

Tried that (2 wavebirds, 1 wired gc controller, 2 ngc memcards, 1 usb battery charger for wii fit).......all unplugged and still does the same thing :mad: :(

So, back to a clean install of the folder again and as a final solution I edited the frodo rsrc file to remove the drive 8 being ghouls _and_ghosts.t64 and I also changed skipframes to 3.5 to improve speed and reduce flicker like I've done with Frodo DS - all other lines unaltered:

NormalCycles = 63
BadLineCycles = 23
CIACycles = 63
FloppyCycles = 64
SkipFrames = 3.5
LatencyMin = 80
LatencyMax = 120
LatencyAvg = 280
ScalingNumerator = 2
ScalingDenominator = 2
DrivePath8 =
DrivePath9 =
DrivePath10 =
DrivePath11 =
ViewPort = Default
DisplayMode = Default
SIDType = DIGITAL
REUSize = NONE
DisplayType = WINDOW
Joystick1Port = 0
Joystick2Port = 0
SpritesOn = TRUE
SpriteCollisions = TRUE
JoystickSwap = TRUE
LimitSpeed = TRUE
FastReset = FALSE
CIAIRQHack = FALSE
MapSlash = TRUE
Emul1541Proc = FALSE
SIDFilters = TRUE
DoubleScan = TRUE
HideCursor = FALSE
DirectSound = TRUE
ExclusiveSound = FALSE
AutoPause = FALSE
PrefsAtStartup = FALSE
SystemMemory = FALSE
AlwaysCopy = FALSE
SystemKeys = TRUE
ShowLEDs = TRUE
JoystickKeyBinding0 = 65
JoystickKeyBinding1 = 66
JoystickKeyBinding2 = 68
JoystickKeyBinding3 = 72
JoystickKeyBinding4 = 80
JoystickKeyBinding5 = 28
JoystickKeyBinding6 = 3
JoystickKeyBinding7 = 0
JoystickKeyBinding8 = 3
JoystickKeyBinding9 = 60
JoystickKeyBinding10 = 65
JoystickKeyBinding11 = 66
JoystickKeyBinding12 = 68
JoystickKeyBinding13 = 72
JoystickKeyBinding14 = 80
JoystickKeyBinding15 = 59
JoystickKeyBinding16 = -1
JoystickKeyBinding17 = 80
JoystickKeyBinding18 = -1
JoystickKeyBinding19 = -1
JoystickKeyBinding20 = -1
JoystickKeyBinding21 = -1
DisplayOption = 0
MsPerFrame = 28

Still no joy :confused:.......

Maybe it's the fact that I'm on 3.4E????? :confused:

SimonKagstrom
June 14th, 2009, 19:09
@gaffer: Your apps directory should look like this:

apps/
apps/frodo/
apps/frodo/tmp/
apps/frodo/FreeMono.ttf
apps/frodo/C64.ttf
apps/frodo/saves/
apps/frodo/frodorc
apps/frodo/boot.dol
apps/frodo/meta.xml
apps/frodo/images/
apps/frodo/icon.png

Do you have everything from the list above on your SD card? I suppose other homebrew applications run and can make use of the SD card for you?

If it still doesn't work I really have no clue about what could be wrong, sorry :-/

BBE24
June 14th, 2009, 19:53
@BBE24: Try the first one, it's usually the one which will load the game. You'll need to replace the disk somewhere in the game though, just insert it without loading then.

Yep, it seems to boot the game up. It comes to the title screen, but the controls don't work. So basically I am just stuck looking at the title screen, LOL. Maybe an issue with key mapping on this particular game..?

Gaffer
June 14th, 2009, 23:01
@ SimonKagstrom: yep, had those files.

Bizarrely, I think I figured it out. My SD reader light was flickering intermittently so I tried a different card reader and tried the whole process again.

Everything works now :confused:.

I'm guessing that the boot.dol file was getting corrupted as the reader had a problem.
New reader = "good" boot.dol transfer ----- everything works.

Thanx for your help :D.

The only issue now is that many of my .d64 progs have a lame "intro screen" that you can only get out of (to launch the game) by pressing run/stop........

.......need to figure out how to get that to work now (tried via keyboard but it doesn't work).

BBE24
June 14th, 2009, 23:09
@ SimonKagstrom: yep, had those files.

Bizarrely, I think I figured it out. My SD reader light was flickering intermittently so I tried a different card reader and tried the whole process again.

Everything works now :confused:.

I'm guessing that the boot.dol file was getting corrupted as the reader had a problem.
New reader = "good" boot.dol transfer ----- everything works.

Thanx for your help :D.

The only issue now is that many of my .d64 progs have a lame "intro screen" that you can only get out of (to launch the game) by pressing run/stop........

.......need to figure out how to get that to work now (tried via keyboard but it doesn't work).

ahha! That's my problem too. The ROM i'm using has an intro screen that says press run/stop to start the game or whatever, and none of the buttons on my wiimote or classic controller can get past that screen :(

SimonKagstrom
June 15th, 2009, 07:21
Just bind it to one of the buttons then - you have all of that on the virtual keyboard in the menu. I think escape is run/stop on the USB keyboard.

anthonyharris
June 16th, 2009, 22:22
just wondering how many disk images you can have in the image folder. I had 4500 in one folder, but then it wouldn't get past the load screen.So i put all the files in corresponding sub-directories, A-Z. Only the ones with a few images would load, 'V' for example, Only had about 20 games in there. But when I tried to load 'T', which has over 200 games, it froze.

SimonKagstrom
June 18th, 2009, 17:23
The limit is "All the games you can reasonably play" :-)

I suppose there is some bug there though - there is no hard-coded limit - the file list is reallocated to fit all the directory entries there. I guess there might be some problem at a lower level as well (libfat?).

anthonyharris
June 18th, 2009, 22:13
Thanks for the reply. After some trial and error, about 100 images to a directory is fine. all loads ok.