PDA

View Full Version : PSP 3000 running 'Custom Firmware' [ HEN ]

gamefreak199101
January 13th, 2009, 12:38
Alright, here's something to blow you away. Custom firmware on PSP 3000.Custom firmware on PSP3000?? Yes, it's not a joke. The guys over at PSP GEN have done it.

They are reporting about a PSP 3000 running HEN custom firmware through the recently found GripShift savegame exploit.

Here's the video for it

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80haw_pspgen502hena_videogames

Thanks to Hellcat and EvilSeph for the news

Continue to learn more about this...

For those unfamiliar with it:

“HEN” is short for “Homebrew ENabler” and is basically the core of every custom firmware, it’s that part that makes all the patches and other magic required to launch homebrew on the PSP.
The big difference of HEN to a custom firmware, as it’s known these days, is that nothing gets written into the PSPs internal flash but everything happens in memory only - this also means it’s gone by the next coldboot and needs to be reapplied through the exploit, but that’s a small price to pay, most will say.
Although the creators of this achievement say it won’t be released to the public until at least a second kernel exploit has been found (due to Sony patching it as soon as the files are released), this definitely puts up high hopes for things to come on the PSP 3000.

ICE
January 13th, 2009, 17:49
Hmm. Good try sony. Who knows, there might have been a few games come out for the psp this year with a piracy free psp model on the market. Ah well.. We can always dream I suppose..

acn010
January 13th, 2009, 18:02
damn... interesting...
ya, its best kept on the low till we reaelly get something going

CSPERFECTGT
January 13th, 2009, 18:08
i hope we don't need to buy this f@cking stupid game in order to downgrade...

Buddy4point0
January 13th, 2009, 18:27
This is such great news! Hen is pretty good even if it's not CFW.
I can't wait to see how far they take this.

i hope we don't need to buy this f@cking stupid game in order to downgrade...

You will have to.

CSPERFECTGT
January 13th, 2009, 18:45
This is such great news! Hen is pretty good even if it's not CFW.
I can't wait to see how far they take this.

You will have to.

but if they find the ipl loader(am i say it right?)?
maybe they can make a new pandora battery.

apex05
January 13th, 2009, 19:04
I'll bet by tomorrow this game will be costing more than the psp itself

darkuni
January 13th, 2009, 19:52
Heh, I went out and bought a used copy of Gripshift the day the original hack was released. $7.99 at Gamestop.

I can't wait to see what the slow-to-buy suckers end up paying for it in a week or two on eBay :)

Shrygue
January 13th, 2009, 20:03
So a HEN loader for the 3000 series PSP huh? Nice, reminds me of the time when 2.71 HEN came out, got even better when the downgrader came along.

acn010
January 13th, 2009, 20:36
hellz ya... oh the old times.... sigh

kyyubidx
January 13th, 2009, 21:11
I don't know why people are all celebrating... First this has NOT been released, plus it does not allow the instalation of CFW so forget running isos... It only allows to use homebrew via the XMB, which is awesome... Though I hope it doesn't go further than this... I don't want the great 2009 the PSP is going to have to be ruined by this *cough*ISOS*cough*

mike_jmg
January 13th, 2009, 22:49
Sorry to break things down for you kyyubidx, but it seems we're fu***d again as this frenchie bstrd ran Gripshift from the memory stick as an ISO on minute 7'30" of this video.

Also this code was stolen from DAX, I don't know what to hope for at this moment Cause it's good PSP-3000 owners can use homebrew but not ISOs.

I think this will bring the PSP down the drain all over again. Hope the games that were announced will get to see a release date.

You will have to.

I don't think you'll have to, cause once psp3000 can run CFW DAX will be able to upgrade pandora to run on PSP-3000

What I'm not really sure is if he should

kyyubidx
January 13th, 2009, 23:02
@mike_jmg: holy mother of god the psp is going down the drain again =(

well as for me i'll always buy the game i want to play so I'm secure there... Just wish half the world did the same..

Zin0099
January 14th, 2009, 00:20
cuss its a hen loader does that mean maybe a 150 kernal for all 2000 and 3000 models
why not have cfw in a way that if you dump your umd it's only reconizable to psp you dumped it with

osgeld
January 14th, 2009, 00:31
why not have cfw in a way that if you dump your umd it's only reconizable to psp you dumped it with

that sounds like a good idea to me

apex05
January 14th, 2009, 01:09
Well the postal service should do well out of this with all Sony's dev kits being mailed back... And i can just hear the faint sound of the final nail being hammered into psp's coffin

Veskgar
January 14th, 2009, 02:52
What the hell? Can everyone get off the "HOMEBREW & EXPLOITS" are killing the PSP bandwagon? Don't give SONY and lazy game developers a scapegoat for why the PSP isn't being tapped for all that it can be.

My gosh, what in the world are people doing on a PSP Homebrew & Emulation site if they are going to denounce new exploits and releases that only serve to allow for long-term survival of homebrew on the PSP.

Seriously, some people need to wake up. SONY has no plans on tossing the PSP aside. The PSP is part of SONY's long-term plans. Another hardware revision of the current PSP is likely and a future PSP is inevitable.

I wish people would stop being sheep and so gullible. Like a bunch of little girls spreading gossip. That sounds harsh, yes. I'm not targeting any one particular individual or even solely this website. I'm talking more in general terms across the entire Internet and varying PSP related sites.

Anyway, with that rant over, I think this is a very cool development. And its very smart to not release this until more exploits are secured. SONY has shown to patch exploits almost immediately. They do pay attention to the scene and we need to be one step ahead of them.

Kakashi987
January 14th, 2009, 09:48
What the hell? Can everyone get off the "HOMEBREW & EXPLOITS" are killing the PSP bandwagon? Don't give SONY and lazy game developers a scapegoat for why the PSP isn't being tapped for all that it can be.

My gosh, what in the world are people doing on a PSP Homebrew & Emulation site if they are going to denounce new exploits and releases that only serve to allow for long-term survival of homebrew on the PSP.

Seriously, some people need to wake up. SONY has no plans on tossing the PSP aside. The PSP is part of SONY's long-term plans. Another hardware revision of the current PSP is likely and a future PSP is inevitable.

I wish people would stop being sheep and so gullible. Like a bunch of little girls spreading gossip. That sounds harsh, yes. I'm not targeting any one particular individual or even solely this website. I'm talking more in general terms across the entire Internet and varying PSP related sites.

Anyway, with that rant over, I think this is a very cool development. And its very smart to not release this until more exploits are secured. SONY has shown to patch exploits almost immediately. They do pay attention to the scene and we need to be one step ahead of them.

I agree completely.

kyyubidx
January 14th, 2009, 10:20

No one said homebrew is killing the PSP my friend... We were talking about the darn ISO loaders... Have you ever noticed on torrent sites that PSP games are always downloaded by 1000+ people? Now imagine that those people actually bought the game. Wouldn't that give more profit to the developers and therefore motivated them to make more and better games?
Remember Ubisoft? Back at the start of 2008 they said they had 10+ games planned for the PSP. We didn't see any. Not even a Prince of Persia port (which is actually a great game) and even the DS got one.
Also, have you noticed that since the 3000 is out more and good PSP games have been announced?
I just want to reiterate: I AM NOT AGAINST HOMEBREW. We've seen great things come out of the homebrew scene, like iRshell, emulators for almost everything, stuff like PSPComic, LightMP3 and many others which are all great apps and even in homebrew games we have all sorts of things.

dangee
January 14th, 2009, 11:00
Havta agree with Veskgar, except for the 'lazy developer' jibe.

The piracy argument's just a lame excuse for poor sales.

Homebrew breathes much needed extra life into the PSP - it badly needs
titles like irshell,filer,gpsp,psptube,bookr..., and yes, all those tetris
clones & sidescrollers too.

That comment by apex05 makes me think Sony should seriously consider
investing in a major upgrade to the PSP devkit to make their licensing
deal more attractive for game developers.

kyyubidx
January 14th, 2009, 11:20
@dangee:

Actually piracy's is not such a lame excuse. After doing some research I found out that the biggest psp game download site (via bittorrent) has almost 1 million registered members of which, thankfully, only 135 thousand are active.
Now think about this: Crisis Core has sold 975.000 copies worldwide. "What if" this site never existed and those 135 thousand did buy the game and Crisis Core had hit the 1,1 Million mark? Wouldn't that be a landmark for Square-Enix and Sony?
Also, you can't guess that from the numbers, but if each of those 135 thousand games had been sold at 30€ that's 4,500,000€ Squeenix didn't get... Of course we can think that this money they didn't get is nothing to them, like 1/10000000 of the cake, but still in a time when publishers and developers are starting to struggle every penny you can get is an help.
Just for thought. I am not criticizing the scene. I used homebrew a lot on my 1004. And yes, I am aware I am going to get flamed for speaking my mind

andwhyisit
January 14th, 2009, 11:39
@dangee:

Actually piracy's is not such a lame excuse. After doing some research I found out that the biggest psp game download site (via bittorrent) has almost 1 million registered members of which, thankfully, only 135mil are active.
Now think about this: Crisis Core has sold 975.000 copies worldwide. "What if" this site never existed and those 135mil did buy the game and Crisis Core had hit the 1,1 Million mark? Wouldn't that be a landmark for Square-Enix and Sony?
Also, you can't guess that from the numbers, but if each of those 135mil games had been sold at 30€ that's 4,500,000€ Squeenix didn't get... Of course we can think that this money they didn't get is nothing to them, like 1/10000000 of the cake, but still in a time when publishers and developers are starting to struggle every penny you can get is an help.
Just for thought. I am not criticizing the scene. I used homebrew a lot on my 1004. And yes, I am aware I am going to get flamed for speaking my mind
I hope you meant 135 thousand and not 135 million.

kyyubidx
January 14th, 2009, 11:45
@andwhyisit:

God I always get that wrong, cuz I want to abreviate... That's what you get for not being native... I'll correct it... Because here in Portugal: Mil = 1000. That's why I got that wrong... Thanks for pointing it out though... I'm always thankful to people who help me better my English

dangee
January 14th, 2009, 14:34
@kyyubidx: Respect, you make a strong case, and back it up
with hard data.
But just how many of those 150k pirates would buy a game they can't steal?
In fact, how many would buy a PSP at all without the obvious availability of
torrent downloads.
And really that's at the heart of the problem:

The Bit-Torrent legal loophole

Perhaps it's time for Sony,Nintendo & Microsoft to bury the hatchet,
and join forces to close it down.

alanparker05
January 14th, 2009, 15:36
@kyubdix: Respect, you make a strong case, and back it up
with hard data.
torrent downloads.

I really can't see how they could stop torrent downloads, because personal backups are legally allowed and some people are unable to create their own they have to rely on downloading the game, and even if they claim intellectual property on the games, the seeder only needs to zip the game with a short disclaimer to bypass any legal problems

mike_jmg
January 14th, 2009, 17:52

I really like this cat and mouse war between $ony and us, in the end we should be able to do whatever we want with the devices we buy, like runing homebrew or things like that.

I know piracy is not the cause of the low software sales on the psp, but developers do think so, and this will scare them away without having the chance to be proven the real cause is their lame software

Sega will continue with their: "Our lame Hulk movie game is not selling because of software piracy":rolleyes:

I just think this could have been delayed a bit longer so they could be proved wrong

Anyway I hope the psp will be ok, but here in my city I've been seeing less and less psp games on the store shelves, hope this is because of the lack of software and not cause the lack of buyers.

edit: a good sign is that I didn't see old titles

kyyubidx
January 14th, 2009, 18:10
@dangee: in that site I mentioned, Bittorrent isn't the only way to get the dump isos. You can also get them from e-links for emule, something called Pando, and you also have at least three file-uploading mirrors (rapidshare, filefactory and another one). Plus there isn't a game they can't steal on that site because it is almost as old as the PSP and they have hosted every single game released (US, EU) and even some JAP.

ICE
January 14th, 2009, 18:27
There are hundreds of sites with thousands upon thousands of people pirating psp games. You can not tell me that doesnt make a difference. Obviously its not the whole story but the clear departure between the console sales and the software sales have to mean something.

the_eternal_dark
January 15th, 2009, 06:11
@kyyubidx: Respect, you make a strong case, and back it up
with hard data.
torrent downloads.

And why would you not want to pirate? It's cheap, it' easy, it's abundant, and it's pretty easy to get away with. I'm guessing you've never, in your entire existance, have downloaded any MS OSs, movies, music, PC games, programs, etc...

BTW, if Sony, Nintendo, and MS were to shut down BT, where in the hell would I get all my OSs that I enjoy playing with (I'm sure MS would love that though, to get Linux/FOSS out of its hair). Where would I get most of my open source software from? Should I expect every developer to host it on their small little webservers they run in their closets/attics/basements or use a distributed means (aka bittorrent). I pick the easiest, least intensive solution, BT.

Yes, I operate on both sides of the law, in fact, I bet 99.8867892455% of the members of this forum do the same as I do, but just lie about it.

To be honest, I bought all 4 of my PSPs for homebrew. Running ISOs was just a bonus. Doom multiplayer was my weakness and my reason to have more than one.

@dangee: in that site I mentioned, Bittorrent isn't the only way to get the dump isos. You can also get them from e-links for emule, something called Pando, and you also have at least three file-uploading mirrors (rapidshare, filefactory and another one). Plus there isn't a game they can't steal on that site because it is almost as old as the PSP and they have hosted every single game released (US, EU) and even some JAP.

Why would you go to that site just for research purposes, unless you are looking for something to download?

dangee
January 15th, 2009, 12:04
@the_eternal_dark: I don't agree that we're all just a pack of liars
& thieves on this forum!

There's a big difference between free software like HEN or Linux that
allow owners unrestricted use of the hardware they've paid for,
and game or movie downloads that aren't legal backups.

& Why not pirate? well,aside from the moral argument, while it continues
there's an awful risk that .govs and .coms will act to turn the net into
nothing more than a giant over-regulated and policed retail park.

vkgfaff
January 15th, 2009, 17:51
That's cool. I'd like that on my psp.

Homerun
January 15th, 2009, 21:17
Found Gripshift at my local Gamestop :) Now to wait...and hope..

Mr-S
January 19th, 2009, 19:50
Heh, I went out and bought a used copy of Gripshift the day the original hack was released. $7.99 at Gamestop.

I can't wait to see what the slow-to-buy suckers end up paying for it in a week or two on eBay :)

remind me when i got lumines for 7.99 the day the noobz exploit for 3.50 revealed itself.
and when bricked psp soared in price on ebay :P when pandora made an entrance

Mr-S
x

Seker
January 20th, 2009, 19:17
I hope you know 90% of the people who load a game, wouldn't buy it if it couldn't be pirated.

evilmario666
January 21st, 2009, 15:29
i dont get it whats the big deal? please explain someone!!

No_one_in_particular
January 22nd, 2009, 03:07
I've came around to the idea that an unhackable PSP would probably benefit the PSP as a whole.

I mean, there's so little difference between the 2000 and 3000 iterations, it'd be ideal if the new PSP was the one that took the bullet for the scene, and give developers an incentive to keep developing.

Maybe that's just looking at it with rose-tinted glasses, and realistically it wouldn't make as big a difference, but it doesn't seem like there's many developers out there interested in the PSP?

0zymandias
January 23rd, 2009, 01:06
What are the odds that the PSP 3000 will be hacked to the point where i can play emulators on it? And how long might that take?

the_eternal_dark
January 26th, 2009, 10:32
@the_eternal_dark: I don't agree that we're all just a pack of liars
& thieves on this forum!

There's a big difference between free software like HEN or Linux that
allow owners unrestricted use of the hardware they've paid for,
and game or movie downloads that aren't legal backups.

& Why not pirate? well,aside from the moral argument, while it continues
there's an awful risk that .govs and .coms will act to turn the net into
nothing more than a giant over-regulated and policed retail park.

Even emulation involves piracy, my friend..... Do you have a way to ACTUALLY backup all those NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GBC, NDS, N64 carts without having to go download them from another source?

What I was saying is that just about everyone on these forums has a hacked version of Windows, a hacked version of OSX, ILLEGALLY obtained copyrighted media, non-purchased porn (and some users here are guilty of looking at porn while under age), games that they realistically have no way of backing up (for the majority of us) for use on emulators, hacked/cracked software, and possibly much more.

Piracy always will be a problem, a problem that doesn't seem to be hurting Hollywood or any large corporations, it was their stupidity with their funding that has put them in the hole that they are in now, I'm more than happy to keep digging that hole a little further each time I download something, almost literally free of charge (aside from the cost of electricity and internet connection, it is). I guess I'm just an a**hole, but damn, I still have some money in my pocket.

What are the odds that the PSP 3000 will be hacked to the point where i can play emulators on it? And how long might that take?

Pretty good. Look for about 2-6 months..

dangee
January 30th, 2009, 07:08
@the_eternal_dark:
"The bigger the corp. the bigger the crime", right?

As a defence for game piracy, I doubt it'd convince many juries
Sony are no angels, but aside from restrictive practices, they don't
have much claim on the corporate hall of shame.

Overpricing may help explain piracy, but doesn't excuse it.
All the same,I wouldn't expect the target (teen) demographic to have
50+ cash to splash on a game too often, or to be immune to the
temptation of the torrents.

the_eternal_dark
January 30th, 2009, 08:41
@the_eternal_dark:
"The bigger the corp. the bigger the crime", right?

As a defence for game piracy, I doubt it'd convince many juries
Sony are no angels, but aside from restrictive practices, they don't
have much claim on the corporate hall of shame.

Overpricing may help explain piracy, but doesn't excuse it.
All the same,I wouldn't expect the target (teen) demographic to have
50+ cash to splash on a game too often, or to be immune to the
temptation of the torrents.

No, I have no real big problems with large corporations, but I do have problems with those of which are poorly managed and those who support those other poorly managed companies. Besides, I'm not out to convince anyone of right or wrong, I'm just telling you what I think/believe/do/etc.

As was said before, there are only a few thousand people who actually pirate the PSP anyway, but how many people own PSP's that don't pirate? Millions... Sony and devs aren't losing as much as they say they do, and if they are, it's due to sh!t games (honestly, would you download a sh!t game), not piracy. You also have to realise that, in general, the end user or general consumer is stupid to the fact they could just as easily get their games for free and will gladly pay for a brand new product every time. If piracy hurts sales, then so do the sales of used games.

And on a final note, I am comfortable with saying that many users on these sites are suffering from an acute case of hypocrisy.

apple23
January 31st, 2009, 07:16
sweet..........ihope sumone finds a new exploit soon!!!:)

Woz
April 10th, 2009, 09:29
As much as I love my PSP3000 I think it's failing because it has one bad flaw in its design, no second stick on the right, it spoils all those first person shoot em up as we all know, take resistance and its auto focus, crap, spoils the game no end. One other thing, about emulation, it should be legal to emulate old consuls such as Nes, N64 etc, you can't even buy the games any more, apart from eBay, so what's wrong with downloading the roms? If the company's that own them want to make money out of these old games then release them at a low price as downloadable content, they just aren't doing this, so stuff them.

Spyzius
April 10th, 2009, 15:38
Woz, nintendo is allready doing this on wii. Don't you really think that nintendo games one day will work legaly on SONY system? only on my dead body

Nokiaman
April 10th, 2009, 19:31
Good thing it is going to be hacked.

k-kwikz
May 31st, 2009, 15:43
ive got it. its good but u can't play any iso's or cso's