PDA

View Full Version : sega 32x homebrew

saturn nut
January 14th, 2009, 01:16
well I was just considering trying to make sonic mars on the 32x would this be possible? and if so would anyone be interested in helping?

hansblitzenburg
January 27th, 2009, 08:05
If you know how 32x games are programmed and had the tools to do it, surely you can..At least you can make a game to run on a 32X emulator..It would be cool however if someone was able to release new 32X carts. I imported a 32x with genesis and all hookups a few months ago and I actually enjoy it. I have about 7 games for it so far, I'm slowly increasing my library, albeit it has a very small library of games (about 30?) which is a shame..The machine has untapped potential, Darxide and Metal Head (no matter how bad Metal Head is) proved this. I would be interested to see what homebrew developers can achieve. Sadly though I don't see homebrew becoming a reality on such a system. Btw do you own a 32x?? If so what games do you have for it? :p

MKAmeX
January 27th, 2009, 20:35
A split disassembly for Sonic 1 converted to 32x format has been released.
With that, you can edit anything in Sonic 1 to be how you want. It is very possible to recreate Sonic Mars with it, but that would take a lot of time and effort. And there's no guarantee you'll be able to play it on your 32x system.

I'm probably not allowed to give you the disassembly spoken of above at this place, but a quick google search should suffice.

saturn nut
January 27th, 2009, 23:19
well actually I do own a 32x I own virtua racing deluxe virtua fighter doom star wars star squadron and that's about it. but since sonic mars would be a 3d game I would need character sprites or models so I would need someone to make them for me since I suck at making models. anyway I've got most of the tools but the main problem is I need a game engine. I need one that the 32x can handle.

ojdon
February 1st, 2009, 20:51
If you have a good understanding at Mega Drive programming then adapting your knowledge to the 32x isn't too difficult. but you sound to inexperienced so mayber start doing some minor Sonic 1 programming might give you a bity of a taste of what 68k assembly is all about. :p

saturn nut
February 2nd, 2009, 23:21
ok then I'll give it a shot:thumbup:

JLF65
February 3rd, 2009, 08:29
If you're looking for tools for Genesis/32X development, you might check over at the SpritesMind forums. It's dedicated to Genesis/32X/SCD development.

http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev/forum/index.php

I just released an alpha of Wolf3D for the 32X over there. I do my 32X programming with the gcc toolchain from KPIT with some specialized linker scripts and a few assembly files to start things up.

saturn nut
February 7th, 2009, 17:32
thanks! hmmm....well my problem now is that my 32x only shows backrounds when I play it...

JLF65
February 7th, 2009, 22:00
Could be a bad cable or connector. Would really suck if it were one of the VDPs. :(

saturn nut
February 13th, 2009, 05:57
yeah both of them have the same problem so it could be my genesis 1?

Eviltaco64
February 13th, 2009, 21:14
Do you have the video cable that plugs into the 32X from the Genesis?

If you don't you'll just see backgrounds.

JLF65
February 14th, 2009, 21:07
yeah both of them have the same problem so it could be my genesis 1?

If both show the same problem and you're using the same cables, it could be the cables. If you're using different cables, then it's almost certainly the Genesis.

saturn nut
February 17th, 2009, 22:21
hmmm.......... I think I have the right video cable and I am using the same cables........

saturn nut
February 22nd, 2009, 21:21
ok well I used different cables so it must be either my genesis 1 adaptor that is the same or my genesis

saturn nut
July 3rd, 2009, 14:11
Well this project has since moved to Atari Jaguar so where would I post that?