PDA

View Full Version : Pandora - There's a git in the web!

wraggster
January 14th, 2009, 21:31
News from evil dragon

Just a quick side note (nope, not yet a new video):

You might already know that if you're interested in the Pandora sourcecodes, you can grab the, via git.
Additionally, we set up gitweb for easy browsing. So, if you want to check out what's happening, you can do so at http://git.openpandora.org/-

Deshevy
January 18th, 2009, 01:53
Ive been checking out the scene for about a year now just to see how things have been coming about
From what ive seen they havent even sent any of the purchased models out to the people that have paid for this which is kind of annoying
To add to it all everything doesnt seem to be completed yet ( No commercial model ??? )
I was looking forward to purchasing one but gave up on the scene altogether as ive purchased an OQO model 02 ( www.oqo.com ) and the oqo can handle everything this device claims it can plus it runs on windows XP
Games running great on OQO
-Warcraft 1 ,2 , 3
-Starcraft
-Diablo 1 , 2
-Fallout 1 , 2
-Shellshock 1 , 2
-Halflife 1
-Counterstrike
-World of Warcraft
-Quake 1 , 2 , 3
-Gothic
+ Many other games made before 2001
Emulation ?
- N64 emu
- PSX emu
- Snes emu
- Genesis emu
All this and all the Windows programs you would want
I got the oqo and its awesome just a little strange with controls sometimes but you have a fairly good keyboard to work with
Only drawback is the extended battery only lasts about 5 hours when gaming but otherwise its a very good UMPC
Short Specs
-1.5 GHZ Processor
-1GB of RAM
-60GB HDD

The Pandora is going to have issues with getting proper game ports for it even though there are good developers for it alot of games i listed are not open source so they cant be ported

This is a shame because it would be a sick gaming device
Just my 10 cents

ttcircus
January 18th, 2009, 19:16
@ Deshevy
I wouldn't be surprised if you were telling me you work for OQO.
Simply because you're comparing two products that are absolutely not in the same price range.
The one you are talking about is at least £900! It's a tablet pc running windows and you dare comparing it to an handheld device running a linux distro and costing only £200.
So really, be a bit honnest and don't make wrong statement and advertising. For the price you paid you OQO you could also have bought 2 ps3 or a computer that can run all the games on the friggin planet.

jamesd1991
January 21st, 2009, 02:09
I agree, it isn't even justified to compare these two devices, OQO is like 4 times more expensive...

Deshevy
January 22nd, 2009, 04:24
That is true that the price range is significantly higher I got mine off ebay for $650 USD which isnt that much more than the 500 usd that i would have paid for a Pandora so in my case yeah it was worth it I do xbox 360 tech support and its really sweet to be able to sit at work and play these computer games the display is nice
The Oqo is basically the gaming device i wanted from the pandora but it just wasnt available for me to spend my money on so i went with the oqo now if i see things pick up and the pandora does get great ported games then maybe ill pick one up too
Im a very impatent person and the waiting for these things to get ported just kills me