PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial]: How to put Linux On your PS3

HydroJohn
January 18th, 2009, 23:21
Via - PS3 Linux (http://ps3-linux.blogspot.com/)

This is a guide for how to put linux on your ps3.

Step 1. Go to system -> Format Hard-Drive -> PlayStation3 HDD

Step 2. Select the option "Allot 10gb to the other operating system"

*Your PS3 Will Now Restart

Step 3. Log in and insert your linux cd

* If you dont have a linux cd visit this tutorial: Guide: How To Install Linux On Your PS3 (http://ps3-linux.blogspot.com/2009/01/guide-how-to-install-linux-on-your-ps3.html)

Step 4. Select the option "OtherOS.BLD" Now Linux will start to install.

Step 5. When Linux has installed on your PS3 select the default system option in the system settings tab and select Other OS.

Hope this tutorial helps if you need any help just ask :D

vnvnvn2000
March 17th, 2009, 10:59
I've installed Linux on my PS3, Gentoo to be exact. I haven't messed with it too much lately since I haven't had the time but I do have some usability issues with how it integrates.

I think Sony needs to fix how they allow switching between operating systems. Currently if you run Linux and want to boot into the Game OS you have to run a command which shuts down Linux and boots the GameOS. Well that's all fine till you want to reboot into Linux. In order to reboot into Linux you have to go though the XMB settings and find the correct option to reselect the Other OS as the default os otherwise it'll book back into the GameOS on the next reboot. The Default OS setting needs to be preserved for the PS3 to be more usable.. Linux could handle a simple boot loader menu to select between the two different OS's at startup to allow regular switching between the two.

JLF65
March 18th, 2009, 00:19
If you use Petitboot, you can just press Del on the keyboard to switch back to the PS3. It's easier than kboot. But the PS3 side could still be easier (as you mention). What I'm more pissed off about is not the switching, it's the drive partitioning: you STILL are stuck with only 10 GB for one side or the other. I have a 320 GB in mine - I want 160 GB for each, not 10 for one and 310 for the other!!! :mad: