PDA

View Full Version : DS Expansion Pak + SnemulDS

TsunamiDream
January 20th, 2009, 05:42
Hello,

I have the original DS (silver) with CycloDs Evolution, also running an 8 gb SDHC card. In the mail today I just received my ram expansion pak from nintendo... :thumbup:

I originally bought a 3 in 1 because it says on the package it works with the old DS as well as the lite ... but it doesn't work turns out. I'm in the minority i guess with my old DS.

Anyway, here is my question... I have SnemulDS, which now picks up the ram expansion when I boot. I am also a huge Donkey Kong Country fan, and it even worked pretty good without the RAM with the occasional slow down but still playable for sure. Now though, when i try to boot it, the screen goes white and it gets to 30 - 35 % and then the system hangs. I have to tried to change some settings in the CFG with no success. Can anyone help me out?

DanTheManMS
January 20th, 2009, 16:03
The line in the config file you want to change is:
MapExtMem = 1

Change that to a 0 and see if it helps. You could also try using the WIP2 version of v0.6a (available on the SNEmulDS homepage) to see if that makes a difference.

On a side note, they do make Phat-sized 3in1s but you have to specifically look for them.

TsunamiDream
January 22nd, 2009, 17:16
Awesome! That worked. :D and I now have in my possession the phat pak that you mentioned (sure came fast), and am trying it as we speak. I wonder if it would need the same setting turned on? I guess only trial and error will tell. by the way, thanks for the help :cool:
Also... has you heard much about the RAM overclocking tool found here : http://www.pineight.com/ds/

TsunamiDream
January 22nd, 2009, 20:00
Hmm... well, i cant seem to get the rumble to work, and i have yet to try GBA games, and also the application i linked doesn't seem to recognize the RAM in the pak but... it still works good with SNES games which was the original goal.

DanTheManMS
January 25th, 2009, 23:23
That tool doesn't really overclock the RAM; it merely tests to see if your RAM pack is capable of being overclocked to a small degree. For instance Quake II DS used information provided by that tool to come up with a few different "RAM speed" profiles that users could choose from, with the idea that users would choose the fastest speed their RAM pack supported.

As for your 3in1, make sure you don't have the "3in1 Plus" version. If you do, your usage might be a bit restricted until code is written to work with it correctly. You'll want to be using GBA ExpLoader to manage the 3in1.