PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast Homebrew

DCEmu_Newsposter
October 27th, 2004, 01:34
Its been a quiet few days so for those of you itching to try something new why not pop along to what is the worlds biggest archive of free Dreamcast downloads, im talking about the Dreamcast Homebrew Site (http://www.dchomebrew.org/), the site has over 230 pages of downloads and theres just so much to try you will be spoilt for choice, the back catalogue of Dreamcast Homebrew Releases is very impressive for an amatuer scene.[br][br]Check out DC Homebrew Here (http://www.dchomebrew.org/)

tinku
October 27th, 2004, 10:49
Its been said already a lack of documentation spoils things for new users. things need to be updated document wise, i for one cant understand Burner o's docs and instructions and had to suffer with trial and error. some instruction is very vague to say the least.

and cdrecord !! come on who uses this ?? nero is about the norm these days

tinku

kujo29
October 27th, 2004, 11:16
imo .cdi is easiest but that is imo .. which prob dont count for much ;D

wraggster
October 27th, 2004, 11:20
i prefer cdi too

Darksaviour69
October 27th, 2004, 11:30
i use nero it can with the cd burner, but the app cdi2nero solves all problems

curt_grymala
October 27th, 2004, 12:31
Its been said already a lack of documentation spoils things for new users. things need to be updated document wise, i for one cant understand Burner o's docs and instructions and had to suffer with trial and error. some instruction is very vague to say the least.

Well - that's kind of the goal of the Homebrew Knowledge Base over at DCHelp.

and cdrecord !! come on who uses this ?? nero is about the norm these days

Actually - I still use CDRecord to burn all of my stuff for DC. I know quite a few other people that do as well. After all... it's free. Nero isn't (unless you acquire it through less-than-legal methods).

MetaFox
October 27th, 2004, 13:03
Actually - I still use CDRecord to burn all of my stuff for DC. I know quite a few other people that do as well. After all... it's free. Nero isn't (unless you acquire it through less-than-legal methods).Or, if you get it with your CD burner. :P

DCDayDreamer
October 27th, 2004, 14:20
DCHelp will have the best and most complete guides for everything released for the community, but you'll have to be patient - it's a huge task and it will take time.

As for DJ, Nero and CDRecord - it's the individual's choice, we're lucky to have a few options so at least everyone wanting to try DC homebrew should have one option that will work with their burner.

obelisk
October 27th, 2004, 15:14
i likde cdrecord plenty.... darn caffiene power trips. sry bout the last rants. nuff siad.

BlackAura
October 27th, 2004, 20:58
I use cdrecord, basically for two reasons.

1 - I'm on Linux, so it's either that or cdrdao, which can't burn DC discs anyway.
2 - It's a hell of a lot faster than either of the other methods. On my system, I can burn directly from the plain files to the CD, without any intermediate image files. Using a Nero image, I'd have to make an ISO with mkisofs, then convert that to a DiscJuggler image, then convert that to a Nero image, then burn that manually with Nero.

Admittedly, none of the tools available on Windows for burning with cdrecord are that great, and they involve way too much user input for my liking. It should be possible to do everything completely automatically, and without the intermediate ISO images. A fairly trivial chunk of C code compiled with Cygwin should do the trick, actually...