PDA

View Full Version : DC-Flash

scherzo
August 19th, 2004, 11:09
http://www.sch3rz0.com/dcflash/

wraggster
August 19th, 2004, 11:16
bloody great release :)

i had seen it already but i was uploading to our site to save your bandwidth ;)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dcflash.shtml is the mirror ;)

wraggster
August 19th, 2004, 11:17
any chance of a screenshot someone, title screen will do :)

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2004, 11:23
cool, wonder if my stuff works on it, (i use "hit test" alot for my games which is new to flash in version 5)

wraggster
August 19th, 2004, 11:25
ive tried for a slashdot scherzo ;)

fingers crossed

wraggster
August 19th, 2004, 12:55
anyone got any good examples of flash games, to be honest ive never tried one

souLLy
August 19th, 2004, 13:19
HOT DAMNNNN

http://www.ben-hosier.com/flash/catdie.swf

souLLy
August 19th, 2004, 13:20
i am now going to make a strongbad disk image... ;D

wraggster
August 19th, 2004, 13:26
can you get flash emulators just out of interest

scherzo
August 19th, 2004, 13:31
Screenshots are now available on the website.

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2004, 13:33
www.newgrounds.com

Flash emulators, not a chance....i think

btw not as good as my main man souLLy, but some of my stuff

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11298102/Lastyear/ROAD14.html

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11298102/thisyear/Game.html

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11298102/Lastyear/Dreamcast6.html

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11298102/thisyear/F1.html

btw replace the .html with .swf to get the swf file

scherzo
August 19th, 2004, 13:55
I just tested your Dreamcast introduction and Road Kill. They both work well. However Road Kill isn't detecting the collisions, so it always gets to the end. I didn't even bother trying the other two. The preloader seemed to take too long which lead me to believe it'll be over 2MB, which is my unofficially declared filesize limit. The Dreamcast runs out of memory.

souLLy
August 19th, 2004, 14:12
can you get flash emulators just out of interest

nah you cant load files... you could do something in shockwave using xtras but nothings ever been done.

Hola
August 19th, 2004, 14:58
Suprising choice from you my friend I guess your working pretty damn hard to latly.

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2004, 15:36
yes, thought roadkill would not work, collisions use hittest. so its (at the mo) a version 4 player. btw all my stuff is under 0.7 mb, its just good pratice to use a preloader.

great release scherzo

edit

nah you cant load files.

i think it can load/save text files, for dynamic content. not too sure. do u know soully?

souLLy
August 19th, 2004, 15:49
oh yeah it can download text and image files but it couldnt download a binary file and interpret it... actionscript isnt sophisticated enough i dont think.

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2004, 16:35
i was think for saving to the VMU...

btw made sbi (first one i have even made), and it works. tried some of my work on it, no sound, and a bit slow but it works!

http://ijsr32.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~11298102/dc/dcflash01b.sbi

Cap'n 1time
August 19th, 2004, 17:46
hell yes! one thing thats been bothering me... along time ago i tried to save flash movies to my hardrive.. but i couldnt figure out how.. can you save .swf's to your hardrive?

fackue
August 19th, 2004, 18:07
DC-Flash SBI without flash files. (http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/misc/dc-flash.sbi) <--- LINK THERE!

Let me know if it worked for you, thanks. Uploaded before I saw your sbi, Dark, or else I wouldn't of bothered.

Hola
August 19th, 2004, 18:29
You can save swf movies to your pc but its really tricky to get the direct link off most sites.

Eric
August 19th, 2004, 18:37
This is amazing but i do have to ask question will there be a time in the future when the Player will play movies over 1.7 megs and will the player ever play sound i know that might be a stupid question cause its probably possible and you might be working on that.

Eric

Cap'n 1time
August 19th, 2004, 19:15
i kinda figured out how to save swf's to the hardrive.

when your watching a movie in the settings click on the folder icon and make sure that you have it set so that you can save quite a bit of stuff on the hardrive.

then you download the movie like normal and exit out.

in windows xp the temporary internet files are in
c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

you can find the swf's there.
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/38000/38034_kill_a_kitten_ng.swf

click start and kill a kitten!

WHurricane16
August 19th, 2004, 19:26
This is awesome. Kick ass, Scherzo ;)

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2004, 19:33
an easy way is look at the source ofd the page that the flash is on , a bit of the html code will say e.g <EMBED src="web.swf" now just replace the whatever.html with web.swf in the address

Eric
August 21st, 2004, 00:12
This is the most hilarious video and depending what browser your using it will work:

Mario Twins: http://www.gamecubicle.com/images/save/flashe/mariotwins-reg.swf

Now cause there is no sound yet for dreamcast i dont think it would be that great but its always good to test it out and see how the video is for it.

Mental2k
August 23rd, 2004, 12:24
scherzo, would it be possible to invent a peice of Actioscript that only works with this player that unloads the current .swf file and loads another named one. For instance

loadandplayswf("next.swf")

Where "next.swf" is the next swf file you want to load.

If this was possible, then we could create levelled games. Say each level under the max file size. Have that piece of actionscript in the last frame of each level. The player would then unload the current .swf file and load the next. Allowing us quite large games, even with a small file limit.

Only an idea.

scherzo
August 24th, 2004, 06:09
That'll be possible only when actionscript is supported.

wraggster
August 28th, 2004, 08:30
with all the flash games out there we could have compilations with the best ones :)

damn nice project

Darksaviour69
August 28th, 2004, 11:48
the 2mb limit problem, should not be much of a problem as most flash files r quite small.

scherzo, when u say actionscript is not supported, surely some actionscript is, as buttons would not work, i.e. " on (release) {gotoAndPlay (2);}"
is that the only actionscript working?

also, i think u should have the up,down,left,right Keyboard keys maped to the DCs, as most games use them.

Blaine
August 28th, 2004, 12:41
scherzo, would it be possible to invent a peice of Actioscript that only works with this player that unloads the current .swf file and loads another named one. For instance

loadandplayswf("next.swf")

Where "next.swf" is the next swf file you want to load.

If this was possible, then we could create levelled games. Say each level under the max file size. Have that piece of actionscript in the last frame of each level. The player would then unload the current .swf file and load the next. Allowing us quite large games, even with a small file limit.

Only an idea.

That really isn't necessary.

If and when ActionScript is incorporated there's several ways of accomplishing this task.

I'm not sure how it'd work with the RAM problems though.

On my site (http://www.configurationspace.com) each 'section' is actually a totally seperate flash movie that's loaded dynamically.

I did this to:

a) keep the file sizes down (the main movie is only 20k). It also means I really don't need any preloaders since my biggest flash file is only about 20k, most are 10k and can be loaded very quickly.

b)easier to update since each 'section' is totally independant of each other.

This is basically what you could do. Each level would have it's own artwork or level specific code and would be playing inside another main movie with your global functions and variables.

You'd then replace the level movie with the new level.

I don't know for a fact though that the old movie leaves the RAM. I think it stays in Temporary Internet Files so you don't have to download it again...but...

It could still be in the RAM.

If it's not, then you could create a movie of indefinite size.

A little creativity could even yield multi-disc games.

It's like, to some extent, 2600 programing. Creative solutions.

I'm really really really really rooting for this player and I'd kill to see some ActionScript in there.

I'd love to be able to make some 100% pure vector games.

wraggster
August 29th, 2004, 02:54
Thanks for the info :)

IM seriously debating whether we should try and get a Flash Competition going, i cant afford much of a prize (unless we get a sponsor) but it would ignite the Flash scene a bit and thats always a good thing.

Mental2k
September 3rd, 2004, 12:31
Blaine, I'd been thinkin of somethin similar, but the main problem with that is you greately reduce the available ram by having another movie also running. Also while your site contains a lot of stuff for 10kb, if a raster game is built .gif sprites may be used, say for a metal slug clone, the main characters may be 40-50kb on their own. Also if its a scrolling game the background images, could be well over 1mb per level depending on level size.

However if a PC compiler were built for the games that made a flash projector, which could be told the number of levels in the game, and all the names of the .swf, and the order in which they are to be loaded, then it'd take any need for new actionscript.

BTW blaine I'm only learnin actioscript, so if anythin I've said is utter nonsense, slap me ;) Any criticism is welcome, as long as its not about me :P

Oh an wraggs good idea, have an amateur compo too. Maybe we could get macromedia interested....

Darksaviour69
September 4th, 2004, 14:24
Thanks for the info :)

IM seriously debating whether we should try and get a Flash Competition going, i cant afford much of a prize (unless we get a sponsor) but it would ignite the Flash scene a bit and thats always a good thing.

better wait till actionscript and sound is working before having a comp

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 06:46
Any one thinking of making this an add on lib to kos so we can included Flash cut scenes in to our homebrew games i think it would be a very good idea.

Darksaviour69
September 9th, 2004, 06:56
that would be great, but is it possable?

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 07:11
Yeah Have to make some code changes but a few lines of code to control the scene from with in your game memory useage maybe a problem but for some cut scenes in homebrew games it would add a lot. Could add static mp3 or ogg file to be play when the scene starts.

Very do-able project.

Eric
September 9th, 2004, 07:13
Ian you are a genious i was thinking that about that also one night as i was sleeping cause now we will have little video clips in flash and that would be amazing for RPG's homebrew games and others aswell as a wicked Flash intro for the upcoming arcade compilation disk

Eric

Darksaviour69
September 9th, 2004, 07:20
for MCT (the game me and will and a few others had planned) i was going to do the cut scene in flash then covert them to a video file i.e. avi.

ian would it be possable then to use flash a main menu for a homebrew game?

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 07:32
I think you could we could do this. But it's not my project but i think it would be a major boon to homebrew games to convert this to a lib to use with in games. I was just puting it out there as an idea to scherzo.

I could make it a basic lib style if scherzo says it's ok i like to at lest try.

scherzo
September 9th, 2004, 07:58
I was also thinking the same thing. It would take little effort to make what I've done so far into an easy to use API. I have been considering to use it to do the menus in NesterDC SE. But, to be honest, I don't know Flash and don't feel like learning it right now.

So, yeah, I'll see if I can whip together a lib that could be dropped into the kos-ports tree nicely.

Eric
September 9th, 2004, 08:02
Dude this would be sweet for new looks of emus and other such projects and I really want to check out that emu is there any news on that for both NES and SNES

Darksaviour69
September 9th, 2004, 08:11
I was also thinking the same thing. It would take little effort to make what I've done so far into an easy to use API. I have been considering to use it to do the menus in NesterDC SE. But, to be honest, I don't know Flash and don't feel like learning it right now.

So, yeah, I'll see if I can whip together a lib that could be dropped into the kos-ports tree nicely.

it would be cool to use flash to make animated menus for DC apps, Flash is not to hard, sure i learned it ;D

scherzo
September 9th, 2004, 10:12
...is there any news on that for both NES and SNES

No news for Super Famicast. Life has been rather hectic lately: switching jobs, rear-ended someone, car in shop, got rejected by Midway games. So I'm in no mood to work on something as frustrating as Super Famicast. I don't even know what to do with it now anyways. I'm not going to write any sh4 code. Forget that. I would consider it if I could debug. But trying to find a bug in thousands of lines of assembler with no means of step by step debugging is something I don't ever want to do.

As for NesterDC SE, the biggest thing preventing me from finally finishing that up is a theme. Like I said before, I've been considering doing the theme in flash, but I don't really know flash. The thing is, Mikey was working on a theme for the theming system from Super Famicast. Then I told him that I was going to do it in flash instead. So he stopped working on the his theme of course.

Here's what would really help out if someone is up to it... make a flash interface for NesterDC SE. Since I've ported that flash player, I really want to use it in a real application.

If someone would like to do it, contact me and I can give you the specifics of what I need. Of course, you'll have to do it without actionscript, which, from what I understand, is not necessary to do a menu. Look at some of the examples in the release of DCFlash. Some of those movies are very interactive and they must be doing it without actionscript. Anyways, if someone could do that. I think it would be so cool. Thanks.

Ian_micheal
September 9th, 2004, 12:11
Nice like to use a lib like this for stuff be best release of the year i think. Good job scherzo

souLLy
September 9th, 2004, 12:38
i could maybe work on something... have you got more specifics on what the menu would have on it... what links buttons etc.

smiles
September 9th, 2004, 12:58
Will this totally eliminate the possibility of it being theme-able?

souLLy
September 9th, 2004, 13:15
i'd presume you could change the swf flash file for a new theme i guess...

scherzo
September 9th, 2004, 14:02
Will this totally eliminate the possibility of it being theme-able?

No, it will be "themable" by making your own swf and replacing it with the original. Of course, your interface would have to meet specific requirements in order to be fully functional.

You see, NesterDC SE will be able to intercept GetURL actions from the Flash movie and get what their "URL" was. But instead of passing using URLs for the button's click action, I'll define a set of action strings that are used instead.

This way, the Flash movie can control behavior in NesterDC SE. I hope this is enough to make it happen. The more I think about it things though, the more I feel like we might need actionscript to get this done. I've just gotta do some tests. One thing that concerns me is the ability to fire events in the Flash from NesterDC SE. This could be used for setting up some of the menus with a saved configuration.

This basically means that I've gotta do some research to come up with adequate specs for someone to follow. But I'm sure someone could start on the design aspect of it now.

Eric
September 9th, 2004, 18:56
lol i got something in my head but i am not very good at art and how to do these things i wish i could though

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2004, 02:09
i would be up for main a flash menu too.

btw when u say no action script works, some must do as the buttons would work, i.e. get url, goto next scene etc.

what action script does it support? does it support stop?
if your not sure i can test it tommorrow myself

scherzo
September 10th, 2004, 05:13
What I'll do is make a Windows based player from the code I have. Then you guys can test compatibility all you want without doing it on an actual DC.

souLLy
September 10th, 2004, 11:50
sounds good... i'm definitely gonna have a go at an interface :D

what buttons would the front page need.... basically what information would this be presenting... a credits screen, a vmu screen, a game select screen im guessing...?

Ian_micheal
September 13th, 2004, 05:38
Im intrested in the lib version have you started some work on that. Would be good for kos.

souLLy
October 25th, 2004, 11:31
Schzero dunno if you've given up on the idea of making a flash menu, but anyhow as today was a particularly slow day in the office, i spent a lot of it playing around with illustrator and came up with some fairly cool vector stuff, that could work pretty well on a menu... interested?

http://www.ben-hosier.com/images/nes.jpg

Mental2k
October 25th, 2004, 14:18
nice souLLy pity bout the window in the bottom left hand corner though, i think you could deffinitely do without it. ;)