PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot cdi burned with disc juggler Please help a sad noob...

cloudstarx
February 2nd, 2006, 01:00
First of all let me apologize to any vets for my noob status in dc emulation.
My problem is I burned a cdi with disc juggler using a simple tutorial. The game was crisis if it makes any difference. When i put the disc in my dreamcast it just loads it as an audio cd with 2 tracks. I must be leaving out a huge step here and/or I don't know jack about what i'm supposed to do. I've been reading for two days now all I can but I just don't need any more coasters and I'm looking for some help directly from people who may have used disc juggler with cdi's successfully or have a better alternative for me. Thank you so much for any help in advance. I just can't wait to play these images, bc streets of rage games have always been my favorite two player games ever and these would blow my friends away.
Also my dc says it was manufactured in june 2000 wk* so is any dc before oct. 2000 going to work? Thank you so much.

cloudstarx
February 2nd, 2006, 06:55
5 coasters and counting. I hate this. I've spent over 2 days now and many hours of my off work time to get these homebrews to work and i just dunno what i've done wrong. I even converted the cdi to a nero file and burned that with nero 5.5 and that didn't work either. I'm at the highest level of frustration. Any help would be crucial to my sanity. I even got a virus that is sending pop ups nonstop and changed my startup page to boot from all i've been searching. My computer is freezing up as i type. someone help a brother out.

Darksaviour69
February 2nd, 2006, 12:26
try different cds, some of the crap cheap ones don't work so well on the dc

Eric
February 2nd, 2006, 14:05
The game was crisis if it makes any difference.

I think thats a reference to a commercial game?

cloudstarx
February 3rd, 2006, 00:35
Thanks for the help darksaviour. I did use really cheap ones, a name brand, however one usually not associated with good cdr's. I'll be trying some more. They're cheap anyways, no matter how frustrating coasters can be, I want these homebrews a lot.

The game is a mod of bor Eric, a homebrew. IDK how commercial it's become.

Christuserloeser
February 4th, 2006, 13:55
I'd recommend BootDreams to burn CDIs:
http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/
It also allows to easily create DC discs :)

Other than that Alcohol120% burns CDIs + Nero NRGs (try TAO mode):
http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/index.php

DCDayDreamer
February 4th, 2006, 14:47
The game was crisis if it makes any difference.

I think thats a reference to a commercial game?

The CDI file is the latest release from DC Evolution, it's the Crisis Evil and Crisis Evil 2 BoR mods made by HarlemHero together on one CD image, I just named the image Crisis for quick reference.

The CDI image was created by me, the CD image was burnt and tested with Discjuggler, Alcohol in both DAO and TAO modes, converted to a Nero image using CDI2Nero and tested, it was also converted with CDI2TAO and tested. It all sounds a little long winded and wasteful but all the images I release for DCEvo are tested with both CDR and DVD burners also, the whole concept is to make it as easy as possible for newbs to burn and play Dreamcast homebrew.

Has your Dreamcast booted any homebrew disc before? - if not, it might not be able boot because of the model.

If your Dreamcast has booted homebrew before, you need to find out what method to use that'll prevent any coasters in the future, here's a few tips that might help:

Some DVD burners won't work for Dreamcast homebrew CDR's.
Do not burn CDR's too fast - choose the lowest possible burning speed for better results.
Discjuggler - should work, just select the image file and burn.
Nero 5.xx - use CDI2Nero.exe to convert the CDI file, select the new image and burn.
Nero 6.xx seems to prefer TAO images - use CDI2TAO.exe to convert the CDI file, select the new image and burn.
Alcohol 120% - can burn the CDI file with no conversion (unlike Nero), you'll need to try either DAO or TAO for burning.

cloudstarx
February 4th, 2006, 23:42
Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm guessing at this point that my dc may just be one that doesn't work with these homebrews like the bor mods. I am going to try my "coasters" on a friends dc because they may be just fine for another older dc. I just presumed that mine would work because it was made in june 2000, and I had read in a couple places that those made pre-october 2000 would most likely work with the brews. Hoping it wasn't just me using crappy cdr's, although I dunno which ones to use.

Again, thanks for your suggestions guys, hopefully I can work it out in the future, bc these bor mods look great.

Eric
February 9th, 2006, 13:56
oh woops stupid me i forgot about that mod i appoligize

theotherguyinigb
May 19th, 2006, 00:20
I'm in the same boat, it's been three days now and I've created close to 11 coasters. Mine was manufactured on april 2000, and it has a 1 next to the date. I've tried burning with bootdreams, alcohol 120%, nero, and discjuggler. I've also tried three types of discs: imation, verbatim, and fujifilm. I'm well aware that imation and verbatim are sub-par, yet I really thought the fujifilm would work. So far I've been able to get utopia working, as well as a gameboy emulator, but nothing else. I'm beginng to wonder about how to reset the bios, as someone in another site suggested that to me. Any help would be appreciated.

dochmbi
May 29th, 2006, 21:11
I burned all my games with Discjuggler. The thing is you cant really screw it up since all the settings are in the cdi image. All you need to do is burn it slow, below 16x, use overburn when necesacy, and try again a few times if the cd doesnt boot the first time on the DC. Works for me.

cartmandude14
June 18th, 2006, 21:48
Use Alchol 120%