PDA

View Full Version : DC homebrew help

Blue Protoman
January 27th, 2009, 20:51
I got Dreamcast homebrew working. The trick is to use DiscJuggler, not BootDreams. But, a few problems;

1. How do I compile all the plain files in a .RAR into one .CDI? I tried BootDreams, but when I burn it with DiscJuggler, it doesn't work. Also, what if there is no IP.BIN in the .RAR? What then?

2. How do I burn .BIn files that come alone?

StryfeDc
January 28th, 2009, 17:40
Well I've heard that you can use any ol' ip.bin you got laying around, but I haven't tested it myself.

Bootdreams will create one for you, and that's how I do it if there isn't one included. Bootdream even allows you to add a custom mr.logo to the IP.bin.

Unrar your plain/binary file to a directory.
Example: C:/MyApp/1st_read.bin

Then add the files required by the plain files to that folder, such as "roms" or a "bios" if it's an emulator.

Or the freeware/shareware/(Your game files) from "ported" software like "Doom", "Quake", or Open Railroad Tycoon.

Keep in mind some files have there own seated directories, and don't go on the Cd root.
Example: C:/MyApp/ROMS/"YourGame".rom

- Usually the ReadMe has that info.

1) Start Bootdreams.

2) Select your folder = Example: "C:/MyApp/".

3) Choose your image type. = Discjuggler

4) Select "Process".

5) Select "Yes" to IP.bin creation.

Your game image should be created. = CDI

Burn with the program of your choice.

--My PC doesn't work with Bootdream burning either, so I use Alcohol 120 or Discjuggler with CDI images.--

Blue Protoman
January 28th, 2009, 20:27
Yeah, but I can't burn images assembled by BootDreams either. When I try, the game doesn't load.

StryfeDc
January 29th, 2009, 00:16
Yeah, but I can't burn images assembled by BootDreams either. When I try, the game doesn't load.

Do you mean that you can't burn the image "made" by Bootdreams?

Or

You can't burn "with" Bootdreams?

--Keep in mind that in order for any game image to self-boot, it has to be "scrambled".
If the prompt comes up in Bootdream, "Do you want to scramble the main binary?", select "yes".

Blue Protoman
January 29th, 2009, 16:32
Images burned by BD don't work, and images assembled my BD don't work.

Anyway, forget this. My problem is solved now, actually. I found a program that converts plain files into .CDIs, and it actually works. (Dir2Boot)

My main problem now is, my WinRAR trial's about to run out! Is there a utility somewhere that decompresses RARs for free? Or is that illegal?

Triv1um
January 29th, 2009, 17:34
Images burned by BD don't work, and images assembled my BD don't work.

Anyway, forget this. My problem is solved now, actually. I found a program that converts plain files into .CDIs, and it actually works. (Dir2Boot)

My main problem now is, my WinRAR trial's about to run out! Is there a utility somewhere that decompresses RARs for free? Or is that illegal?

The winRAR trail never runs out. It just threatens you about it forever.

StryfeDc
February 1st, 2009, 01:02
If your running Windows, then it's not a compatibility issue with Bootdreams.

More than likely, it's the specific homebrew you were trying to create probably doesn't support certain ISO write options, that are enabled by default in BD. Like Joliet, Rockridge, Etc...

Dir2Boot is a solid app, but it doesn't have all those write options, IP.bin creation and the like.

If you don't want the prompt every time you load up WinRAR, buy a license for it, or get an alternative archive manager like "7zip". It has the best compression, is free, and is seeing more and more support.

Blue Protoman
February 1st, 2009, 01:35
Windows: Yes. I am using Windows XP.

BootDreams: Eh. I still prefer DiscJuggler.

Dir2Boot: I have an IP.BIN file that works with most games I use it on. I just need to rename the program to 1ST_READ.BIN

WinRAR: 7Zip supports RARs? Hm, I shall have to try it.

I just need to know how to burn/assemble .ELF files now.

dcdood
February 12th, 2009, 01:28
If You want your software to run at Dreamcast Speeds, Pick bootdreams, BD lets you select any range of Speeds (12x i think is DC's Max Limit) while Disc Juggler in eval mode will tune to 2 or 4x :(... Your Choice