PDA

View Full Version : My Hacked PSP

davidapple
January 28th, 2009, 00:53
Hello DCEMU peeps,

This is my first post here so go easy on me.

I got a good quality, second hand PSP 1001 for Christmas and I bought myself a Pandora battery from a UK supplier that I found on the web. I created a magic memory stick using one of those nice and easy magic memory card making applications that run on Dos (Command Prompt) and it worked :thumbup:

I now have Dark Alex's custom firmware 5.00 M33-4 installed. So now what? Well, before I hacked my PSP I made a list of everything I wanted to do with it. A lot of the stuff I have managed to get working (mainly thanks to this forum). Everytime I search for a new bit of homebrew or I have a PSP question, this forum pops up in Google and has the right answer so I mainly want to say thank you (and thank you to Dark Alex as well, obviously).

Incredible things I can do with my PSP

1) I can play all of my old PS1 games on my PSP (like Discworld, GTA2 and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2).
2) I can backup all of my PSP games ;)
3) I can play Scumm VM games like Day of the Tentacle, Simon the Sorcerer and Monkey Island (man, I love those games).
4) I can play Sega Genesis games using 'PicoDrive'.
5) I can send and receive Gmail!
6) I can watch Youtube videos thanks to PSPtube.
7) I can play NES games (although a few of them are quite glitchy, I'm using 'NES for PSP').
8) I can play ZX Spectrum games like 'Chips Challenge'. I'm using PSPectrum, It's beautiful.
9) I can play Amiga games using 'PSPUAE'.
10) I can chat to people on MSN messenger via the website for mobile users.
11) My PSP is a SatNav because I've installed GoExplore and I have a Sony GPS device attached.
12) I can also play MP3s, look at photos and watch videos, obviously.

Things with issues

13) I can use DosBox! Although typing anything is a massive pain in the arse plus every time I use it I first have to mount drive C! Plus I haven't managed to get anything working on it so far. I really want to play Return to Zork.
14) I can play Rise of the Triads (someone compiled the game to work on PSP although it does freeze and crash after about 5 minutes).
15) My SNES emulator is rubbish.

Things I can't do

16) I can't use Skype (the original PSP 1001 hasn't got enough processing power).
17) I can't watch BBC iPlayer.
18) I can't play Half Life.
19) I can't play PS2 games like San Andreas, duh!
20) I can't play Return to Zork.
21) I can't attach a device like EyeTV Hybrid and watch TV when I'm not connected to the internet (can I?)

Feel free to correct any of these things and make comments. I'm really really happy with the amazing and wonderful things that my PSP can do, it really puts the DS & iPhone to shame.

mike_jmg
January 29th, 2009, 03:54
Yes it does put them to shame

SNES emu is not rubbish (snes9xtyl 4.2 ME), just needs a little tweaking. Play around with the different settings and you'll be surprised, specially set up the Engine and frameskip

vitorgatti
January 29th, 2009, 15:40
Hell yeah, PSP is very powerful for a handheld device...!