PDA

View Full Version : Packet Writing Dreamcast CD-Rs?

Narroo
January 29th, 2009, 01:52
I decided I might as well trying writing a game to a CD-R for my Dreamcast. I went through all the instructions, but I kept ending up with the message "Please Insert a Black CD-R."
.....I had a pair of small files on my CD-R that never worked, and Windows claims that, when I try to delete these files that (Even though they are CD-Rs), that files can't be deleted, but will be overwritten if the CD-R fills up. (Sound Weird?)
Anyways, is there a way to make this work with a CD-R that has Files on it? I'd think that not supporting Packet writing would be silly.....if it could be done.
And, if I need to, is there a way to just trick my PC into thinking that my CD-R is blank?

gordunk
January 29th, 2009, 03:36
It sounds like you already finalized that disc, and therefore it is impossible to delete/write files to it anymore

you will need a blank CD-R, and make sure you read the tutorial about burning emulator discs in a way that lets you add files to them, if that is what you are trying.

Narroo
January 29th, 2009, 10:59
I'm Pretty sure it isn't finalized, after all, I didn't even come close to filling the thing up, and I know I'm not that stupid to close the thing, on purpose at least. Is there anyway to check my disc?

gordunk
January 31st, 2009, 17:47
If it's a CD-R, your computer finalizes it upon burning. If it's a CD-RW, then it doesn't work with the Dreamcast anyway

Sektor
February 1st, 2009, 08:09
It only finalizes if it's instructed to do so. You can't actually delete data on a CD-R, only write a new table of contents in the area that hasn't been written to yet. I think the new TOC can hide data that was previously written but it's technically still there. There are many ways of writing data to a CD-R and they aren't all readable by dreamcast and even though you can add new sessions to a CD-R that hasn't been finalized, if you didn't put the data/audio the DC requires for booting at the start then you probably can't add it later.

Narroo
February 1st, 2009, 12:26
aw well, well thanks anyways.