PDA

View Full Version : Rise Of The Triad v0.9 released!!!

deniska
February 2nd, 2006, 22:50
(News Submission by Deniska)

Long overdue, but finally here! :-)
It took me a bit longer that I planned: I lost the previous version's source code due to computer crash and had to re-do it from scratch, but I think it's worth it ;-)... anyway:

Rise Of The Triad PSP v0.9

This is a PSP adoptation of Rise Of The Triad, 1st person shooter, originally developed by 3drealms/Apogee.
(http://www.3drealms.com/rott/)
Special thanks to people @ http://icculus.org/rott/, who developed the SDL/linux version of the game.
Please read the attached documents for credits and other information.

If you are unfamiliar with the game please read this great article:
http://rott.classicgaming.gamespy.com/hell/

INSTALLATION
--------
- select between the shareware and full versions (shareware game files are included;
you can purchase the full version from www.3drealms.com)
1.5 users: copy contents of 1.5 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME
1.0 use EBOOT.PBP from 1.0 folder with data files from 1.5 folder (make sure your include .rott directory)
2.0 Please let me know if either version works with the latest eboot loader for 2.0 firmware

If you own the full version of the game use the EBOOTs from the "full" directory with the DARK WAR data files.

CONTROLS
----------------
Due to ovious PSP limitations, some game functions are not mapped in the default key configuration. If you don't like the control layout/functions - you can re-assign them in the controls menu.

GAME PLAY
-----------
THIS IS STILL A BETA VERSION! So it may be a bit unstable. Refer to original documentation for details on game play. Network/multiplayer modes are not supported in this release, but you should be able to use some multiplayer levels in "exploration" mode.
There are seems to be a problem displaying the cut-scenes in the begining of the levels in the full version. So if you see a black screen, just hit space/enter a few times to go through it faster.

TODO
----
MUSIC SUPPORT
NETWORK/MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT - hmm, this may take a while
I'll release the source code once I patch major bugs.

Enjoy,

DENIS

Screenshots and Downloads via the Comments.

aries2k4
February 3rd, 2006, 01:07
Just finished downloading. Not bad for a beta. IŽll be looking forward to the next release, music would be nice. Keep up the good work!!

ultros
February 3rd, 2006, 01:30
hm, i can't get the full version running.
that is somehow strange, because the files work fine with the GP32 version of ROTT. so i guess, the game files must be ok.
but after starting, the game just creates a \darkwar subfolder with 4 .rot files in it and then resets :(

am i missing something?

but thanks for porting that game =)

deniska
February 3rd, 2006, 01:55
See if you get some error messages in stdout.txt file
..and make sure you have .rott subfolder...
It's running just fime on my 1.5 PSP

nexus68
February 3rd, 2006, 02:04
Thanks to port this great game.

Mustang
February 3rd, 2006, 02:05
Bloody fantastic : I loved this far more than doom in it's day, 5 star job chief !

ap0calypse
February 3rd, 2006, 02:14
Thank You, deniska for all ur work on this.

To be honest I never got around to playin this... (probably due to DOOM & DUKE3D) but I threw it on my PSP just now and enjoyed the trial version alot. So, i'm now on the hunt for a full version;)

Great Work!

ultros
February 3rd, 2006, 02:34
yep, i have a "stdout.txt" saying:
Rise of the Triad Startup Version 1.4
CD Version
Z_INIT: 8950000 bytes
IN_Startup: Mouse Present
W_InitFiles: no files found Episode = 0
Area = 1

so what does this exactly mean?
i copied all files from my full version to the \rott\.rott folder. which files are missing?
i even tried it from a different source, but get the same error log.

deniska
February 3rd, 2006, 02:44
I think you messed up the directory sructure
Your ms:/PSP/GAME/rott directry must include 14 files that come with the full version, EBOOT file and .rott subdirectory.

ultros
February 3rd, 2006, 02:50
ups, sorry, my mistake.
yep, i put the game files in the \.rott

thanks ;)

alekebol
February 3rd, 2006, 04:08
On 2.0 the full version doesn't work, but the shareware version does using eboot loader 0.9

Festizzio
February 3rd, 2006, 04:13
Holy crap I actually remember this game! Man, it's been at least ten years since I've played this! Wow, and to think I just upgraded to 2.6...wtf >_<
I can't wait until this works with the GTA loader; I'll definitely have to relive this classic!! :D This is so cool! Spectacular job Deniska!! :D

KerryKing
February 3rd, 2006, 04:52
Are you going to be porting any of those other games on the 3drealms games that you can download page? Thanks for taking the time to make the game.
Also do you know anything about porting games like leisure suit larry? Some guy made a prgram that turned those kinds of games into gba carts. I cant remember what they were called. Heres a link to what im talking about. http://www.bripro.com/gbagi/index.php

thanks again

deniska
February 3rd, 2006, 04:53
On 2.0 the full version doesn't work, but the shareware version does using eboot loader 0.9
Hmm.. funky!!! Could you check the messages in stdout.txt ?
It's possible that there is something wrong with the setup..
Anyway, thanks for the info...

r-complex
February 3rd, 2006, 05:32
It isn't really a blank screen per-say.. it's what as known as a mini 'cut scene.' I don't know why it isn't displayed though? Perhaps, a few lines of code are missing or ??*shrug*. Anyways.. thanks for your all your work!

r-complex
February 3rd, 2006, 05:56
And.. it's up to you but.. you could assign the 'Start' button to turn on/off RUN! :D

deniska
February 3rd, 2006, 06:27
r-complex - good point about the cut scenes - I updated the description.. I'll look in to this problem..

The "start" button is linked to "shift" key. You should be able to re-assign it to any game function in "Customize keyboard" section.
Once you do, the game will "remember" your new control settings...

r-complex
February 3rd, 2006, 06:32
Nevermind... I figured it out with tha setup! :cool:

frmariam
February 8th, 2006, 01:57
*deleted* double post :p

frmariam
February 8th, 2006, 01:58
Great port! And runs on 2.0! I still fear that the inicial flashing image (right after you load) can make any pixel stuck (maybe I'm just paranoid about this but I have 1 -thank God it's only 1 - and nor web browser, PSPsetX, mp4 video nor Lua version of pixel cleaner worked...).

I hope you'll keep updating all your ports when time becomes available (which I guess could be a really hard task since they are so many).

Anyway this is the icon I made to use myself (it is built using Pochi's Rogue icon as the base background... I wish I had more time to learn more gfx...). Pochi is such a great artist... Pitty that many great PSP homebrew apps still don't have his gfx (but I guss Pochi is pretty busy).

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1457/icon07uq.png (http://imageshack.us)

Take care man ;)

gungho
February 9th, 2006, 22:33
anyone tried it on 2.6 ?

lil_big_baller_420
March 11th, 2006, 07:49
Far as i know, it dont work for 2.6 assuming thats the lastest frimware. Iam sill a newbie to all this. I tryied it numerous times, and with it showing up a splash image of the game title.. But the two other files come up currupted. And it would not run. Course i tryied this with the Shareware title. So who knows. Heard that psp makes it to where we can put ported games on the psp. Blah. Anyways, good luck tryin to get it to work. So... What do we do now, if we have the lastest frimware? I found one site that has files that lets ur psp boot into an earlier version if u have the lan switch off, and switchs back to the regular version when its on. I havnt tryied this yet, cuse its close to 20 mbs and course i only got the standard 30 mb card. Ya know?

chaos-is-me
March 30th, 2006, 05:09
I found one site that has files that lets ur psp boot into an earlier version if u have the lan switch off, and switchs back to the regular version when its on. I havnt tryied this yet, cuse its close to 20 mbs and course i only got the standard 30 mb card. Ya know?

:rolleyes: