PDA

View Full Version : Sony's 4th Quarter Profits Down a Whopping 95 Percent

wraggster
January 29th, 2009, 22:04
In a time when we're hearing bad news coming from basically every company out there, Sony's 4th quarter numbers are a notch below the rest: a 95% drop in profits.

Yes, they pulled in 10.4 billion yen during the 4th quarter compared to 200.2 billion yen the previous year. These dismal figures reflect a downright-disastrous holiday season for Sony, with TVs and PS3s not exactly flying off the shelves. It's your fault, really. I mean, if you'd been spending money on Sony products, none of this would have happened. For shame! Think about someone other than yourself, why don't you?
http://i.gizmodo.com/5141893/sonys-4th-quarter-profits-down-a-whopping-95-percent

Ultima Chocochu
January 30th, 2009, 01:37
The economy pretty much blows hard right now, it kind of sucks when it effects gaming companys, developers, and really everything.

Deshevy
January 30th, 2009, 02:25
I think that Sony is down and lost their edge
With a console that they were losing money off of from the start ( they were losing over $ 200 per system sold because it was too expensive to produce )
Its agreed that microsoft cheaped out with the 360 but even with the defective systems its all about the games
Microsofts Xbox 360 is really easy to code games for
( Some developers coding for the ps3 say that that working with the system was a nightmare and over complicated )
Sony spent way too much money advertising with their million dollar commercials - Money they could have paid developers for more games
All this said i went and purchased a 360 i want a system under $300 that will play all the greatest games out there
Even though my xbox is dead now it was worth it as microsoft will replace it free of charge
The only thing microsoft has to do now is release a new model of the 360 fixing all the easily fixable issues - Bad type of solder , no rubber protection on lens , cramped heatsync and to put another fan
If this does get managed then microsoft would deserve to take the lead and then they would just have to release a portable xbox as that would be the shiznat

ICE
January 30th, 2009, 02:39
I think that Sony is down and lost their edge
With a console that they were losing money off of from the start ( they were losing over $ 200 per system sold because it was too expensive to produce )
Its agreed that microsoft cheaped out with the 360 but even with the defective systems its all about the games
Microsofts Xbox 360 is really easy to code games for
( Some developers coding for the ps3 say that that working with the system was a nightmare and over complicated )
Sony spent way too much money advertising with their million dollar commercials - Money they could have paid developers for more games
All this said i went and purchased a 360 i want a system under $300 that will play all the greatest games out there
Even though my xbox is dead now it was worth it as microsoft will replace it free of charge
The only thing microsoft has to do now is release a new model of the 360 fixing all the easily fixable issues - Bad type of solder , no rubber protection on lens , cramped heatsync and to put another fan
If this does get managed then microsoft would deserve to take the lead and then they would just have to release a portable xbox as that would be the shiznat

Heres the thing. Sony makes more things than PS3's. PS3 sales are only down 9% and game sales are up 57%. In fact North American PS3 sales are up 40% in '08. This is called spinning news to sound a certain way.

animekid4
January 30th, 2009, 03:19
Awww....dangit. No psp2 im guessing.

PoorKingz
January 30th, 2009, 03:28
I think people are holding off buying big plasma TVs for now.

B2K24
January 30th, 2009, 06:57
All that money dumped on Blu Ray disc DRM a complete waste.
AnyDVD still ownz them.

Ultima Chocochu
January 30th, 2009, 20:41
Gah, some of the things said are true, but some are just opinions

Blu-Ray is for people whom want a higher definition of video, and yes it's a hell of a lot better than regular but not everyone needs it, and people are just trying to get what they NEED
Same with Plasma TV's/so on and so forth,
Sony is suffering for various reasons, and the economy is more so to blame then an "edge", I'm not insulting you in any way just stating in reference to why what you said is mostly incorrect.

Nothing against XBOX360(even though I'm not a fan) but I'd rather have a console that doesn't break so easily, or have various problems other than just breaking, not to mention a 360 will cost you more in the long run, maybe even short with some add-ons you may need.
4 years of XBOX Live + Cost of 360 = cost of PS3(80GB)
BUT I am way off point now, and rambling so yeah sorry
XD