PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Hack Risk

shadowriffe
January 30th, 2009, 22:30
It's kinda hard to get a cut and dry answer to this. A couple of weeks ago, I learned how to use the Twilight Hack to run Homebrew Applications. That was on a 3.4U version Wii. It was my friend's and he was stoked about doing it too, so we didn't worry too much about any risk, and it worked fine.

I wanted to do up my girlfriend's Wii too, but she just got it this Christmas, and it is her first console ever. She wants to get a bit more edumacated in the art of video games, maybe catch up a bit on what she's missed during everybody else's childhoods. But she was worried that it would kill it. I mean, my girlfriend WANTS to play video games, I'm sure you all understand why I would want to hack it.

She told me she would let me do it to her Wii if I did two more Wiis. So I did. I did a 3.1U and a 3.2U without any hitches. The requirement was fulfilled, my quest was over and I was a Level 10 Homebrew Enabler. But when I returned, my girlfriend was still worried >.< Her parents did buy it and all, so it would suck if the 4th time around I brick one.

Which leads to the question: What risk does installing the homebrew channel carry? What do you do about official updates? Should she be worried?

I never really got the answers, all the tutorials make it sound very safe, and so far it has been.

Any help would be appreciated.:D

Songoshin
January 31st, 2009, 02:06
No body can tell you that it is 100% safe.
If someone does ... he is lying.
We never know what Nintendo will do in is next patch.

Myself I got a wiikey2 chipped wii ...
I did a downgrade of the CIOS and now have HBC on 3.4U Wii.

Like tutorial, the installation is easy.

But even if it is working now ... if you are not careful on how you use the HBC channel you can brick your wii.

Installing game from other region on your wii can cause quite a mess.

So the main question :
Are you ready to take the risk. ?

shadowriffe
January 31st, 2009, 05:39
Well in that case, is there a way to remove it?
Is updating likely gonna break it?
One of the major risks I've seen has to do with different region games, so if you don't mess with that, it's pretty safe right?

I already took the risk. Three times. I'm just more worried about the fourth time.

Songoshin
January 31st, 2009, 13:27
To remove the HBC ...
simply delete the channel and voila !

To brick your wii :
Install a channel with a unsupported banner size.

Install a wad from a different region.

Play a game that "update" your wii from a different region.

Note that with the HBC it is not recommanded to do wii update.

1st we don't really know what the next patch will provoque.

2nd Already with the 3.4U you need to downgrade your CIOS = Custom OS to be able to use the HBC again.

If you got any other question, feel free to ask.

shadowriffe
January 31st, 2009, 19:41
Well, the one 3.4U I did, I followed the steps to take it down to 3.3U.

I'm a bit afraid that one of the Wiis will update unexpectedly now o.o

I didn't know that a thing as simple as a banner could brick it. I was thinking about trying to make a few channels, but now I'm not so sure haha.

Thanks though.

Songoshin
February 1st, 2009, 16:04
No problem ...
if you got more question. Feel free to ask.