PDA

View Full Version : Bugs Released

DCEmu_Newsposter
September 20th, 2004, 10:06
Kamjin has released a great new Space Invadors type game for the Dreamcast called Bugs, Check it out at the Bugs Page (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/bugs.shtml) and leave comments etc :)

warmtoe
September 20th, 2004, 12:07
Don't chop!

It's brilliant - I love it... keep going on this one for sure!

Wow - there really is a lot of good homebrew coming out at the moment.

wraggster
September 20th, 2004, 12:14
yeah we have some bloody brilliant coders :)

curt_grymala
September 20th, 2004, 12:29
SBI available from Sbiffy!com (http://www.sbiffy.com/)

wraggster
September 20th, 2004, 12:32
nice

btw your avatar isnt showing up

Eric
September 20th, 2004, 19:38
I found this release quite fun the only thing i suggest is after you die a 5 second pause to atleast dodge the bullets before you die cause i couldnt move and the automatically killed me but all and all a very good release

Kamjin
September 20th, 2004, 20:14
Don't chop!
It's brilliant - I love it... keep going on this one for sure!
Wow - there really is a lot of good homebrew coming out at the moment.

I keep working on this one, and I'm not sure but there's always something missing, guess it's some sort of writers block. I finally got my sprite engine ported from x86 to C at a descent speed. They all share the AI right now, but each type of bug is supposed to behave differently.. and some bugs :P I commented out for the release.. they were too buggy!

Can't think of what's that missing thing is.. Boss level's?? Bonus levels..

yeah we have some bloody brilliant coders

Some currently have "coder block" ??? and are in need of ideas!

Hey Kamjin just wondering if this is the test version you handed over to me or it is an updated version that needs a few more touches.

I found this release quite fun the only thing i suggest is after you die a 5 second pause to atleast dodge the bullets before you die cause i couldnt move and the automatically killed me but all and all a very good release

Some of the changes from the other version..
I've put in a high score table, I only show the highest score, and disabled the saving. Even though the game is at 320x240 I upscaled it to 640x480.. otherwise it looks real bad on a TV.
Rumble is in there, but also turned off.
The attacking bugs are more aggressive, and your ship moves faster. You can shoot more.. and you can see the score!

Eric
September 21st, 2004, 06:44
Wraggster:yeah we have some bloody brilliant coders

Kamjin:Some currently have "coder block" Huh and are in need of ideas!

Me: Thats why i made a post about making clone games and you dont necissarly have to make clone games you can port a game if you want to make something these normally dont take long unless heavily coded or other things i dont know about when you port games

Maximo2703
September 21st, 2004, 21:31
hehe in need of ideas.....just talk to me i have a bunch ....for platformers...shooters....arcadey stuff....and action rpgs.......im probally gonna start looking into making sprites sometime soon for some of this stuff but i gotta reinstall Photoshop since my computer crashed..

Kamjin
September 21st, 2004, 22:33
Maximo,
Try it out and let me know what you think it needs!!!!!!

Art work is a seriously needed item, especially sprites, if you have the time you should make some, and put it up, with some sort of license.. "give me credit" if the game is free, pay me if you turn a profit type thing.
It would be nice to have some sort of repository of art and sound effects..

milfzor
September 21st, 2004, 23:08
ive always been a huge fan of the galaga/space invaders type of games...keep it up, i dunno what more it needs other than maybe that five second delay after ya die....

smiles
September 22nd, 2004, 15:25
This is very nice, though since it does keep track of your score it would be nice if it saved them. How many levels ar there? I've only gotten to level 12 so far.

It actually seems a little to easy. If you stay in one place and just mash on the shoot button you'll clear level almost everytime.

A nice touch would be to make the sprites hires to take advantage of the 640x480 resolution. That would make it a more modern, retro shooter.

Kamjin
September 22nd, 2004, 19:11
Smiles, try it out on a TV, there's a cheat enabled when it's in vga. Level should be about 15 or so, after that it loops. Yeah there's a top 10, I disabled the save code since this is just a test release. what do you think about boss levels?
What do you think enemies should be faster? or aim better? or should I reduce the amount of bullets the player can shoot at a time?

Maximo2703
September 22nd, 2004, 22:05
kajmin i have yet to play this yet cause im tryin to collect all the sbi's of the newest and other releases to make one big homebrew disc ...but heres my thoughts a boss level would be good maybe the boss be kind of like petra in Zelda 1 for nes where it has little enemies flying around him so its not a direct button mash to kill him off....bonus levels would probally make the game feel a bit more rewarding than just an standard arcadey shooter.....also have you looked into power ups? ill hafta give it a go to tell ya more ideas but im sure once i played it i could come up with a really awesome concept to give the game some depth

quzar
September 23rd, 2004, 01:25
Some currently have "coder block" *??? and are in need of ideas!

::raises hand:: ohh ohh me me me me!!
:P

Eric
September 23rd, 2004, 08:58
What makes these ports quite interesting is that they are games that are like the arcade and the most important part of Arcades is the high score tables cause in most or in every Arcade machine

You like to beat that persons highscore and this is one of those games i like to see but again the save feature is a must for those people into Arcade games or even the ports cause Arcades give family fun for everyone and even those players who just love to beat there own scores or there friends sorry getting quite tired and probably made a stupid reply and sorry grammer gets crappy when i am tired

Eric

Maximo2703
September 23rd, 2004, 19:23
well Kajmin i finally played the game....so heres my thoughts so far (i gotta play it a little bit more) i think the enemies start out moving too fast from the first stage considering its the begining of the game. what was great about the old namco activison and atari games were they started out slow and picked up pace as well as diffuculty as you went to give you a false sense of security at first.i felt the game was lacking the build up of that. i think power ups would be a plus. maybe like a fireball power up where you shoot a fire ball at a baddie and if its a red fireball power up it sends a flame upward killing a whole vertical line and a green one would kill a whole horizontal line. if you ever played a game called Space Bastards on the PC they have power ups of that sort in there. also a twin shoot power up would probally be kewl. now i like how the baddie formations change every level that was a nice spin on the whole old Galaga Space Invaders style. now as i recall there wasn't any music in the game. ive been running some riffs through my head that i could put to the game if you would want me to try out doing some music for it. as well as i would also like to try my hand a making a title screen for the game and some sprites/graphics. like i said i need to play it some more to really get an awesome concept going for this if you were looking to really improve upon it. if you wanna talk some more Kajmin just hit me thru a pm on one of the messangers. ill be happy to share more ideas with you.

Kamjin
September 23rd, 2004, 19:58
::raises hand:: ohh ohh me me me me!!

don't you hate it.. sitting there just staring a lines of code for hours.. scroll up.. scroll down..

well Kajmin i finally played the game....so heres my thoughts so far (i gotta play it a little bit more) i think the enemies start out moving too fast from the first stage considering its the begining of the game. what was great about the old namco activison and atari games were they started out slow and picked up pace as well as diffuculty as you went to give you a false sense of security at first.i felt the game was lacking the build up of that.

Since I've been playing it for a few weeks already. I kept cranking up the startup difficulty.. thinking it was starting out too slow.. added to list of todo!

i think power ups would be a plus. maybe like a fireball power up where you shoot a fire ball at a baddie and if its a red fireball power up it sends a flame upward killing a whole vertical line and a green one would kill a whole horizontal line. if you ever played a game called Space Bastards on the PC they have power ups of that sort in there. also a twin shoot power up would probally be kewl.

That just sparked some good ideas.. gonna keep them as a surprise... but yeah I'm getting some good images in my mind on that.