PDA

View Full Version : Wolf32X - now at alpha 4!

JLF65
February 7th, 2009, 01:01
Alpha 2 posted! I fixed the controls so they really work as described:

A = run
B = fire (enter if in menu)
C = strafe/open/operate (escape if in menu)

X = hold and press dpad for weapon change
Y = hold and press dpad for cheat
Z = menu/escape

Holding START while pressing A/B/C is the same as pressing X/Y/Z (for three button sticks). If it doesn't find a controller in port 1, it'll automatically use port 2.

I put in a temporary hack to fix the wall rendering. Something somewhere is walking on the pagetable, so I tried a few things... If I try to repair the pagetable later, it crashes. If I don't allocate the pagetable, it crashes. So what I do now is allocate the pagetable, but don't use it. I fetch the info that was in the table directly as needed. It's all in rom, so it's fast, but I really need to find what's walking on the damn table.

Okay, still no sound... that's next, followed by optimizations.

Enjoy! :D

EDIT 2009-02-07: Alpha 3 up. The view size now defaults to 256 wide. You can increase the view size with Start+B+Right/Y+Right, and decrease the view size with Start+B+Left/Y+Left.
EDIT 2009-02-09: Alpha 4 up. Digital sound effects now playing.

Wolf32X-a2.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/Wolf32X-a2.zip)
Wolf32X-a3.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/Wolf32X-a3.zip)
Wolf32X-a4.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/Wolf32X-a4.zip)

Eviltaco64
February 7th, 2009, 01:45
Oh, nice! I was trying out the first alpha a few days ago, and for a first release, it's pretty damn impressive.

I'll be testing it soon. :)

wraggster
February 7th, 2009, 11:09
do my eyes deceeive me, is this 32x homebrew ?

any screens of this baby in action :)

i may add a 32x section to the sega saturn site ;)

JLF65
February 7th, 2009, 22:44
do my eyes deceeive me, is this 32x homebrew ?

They deceive you NOT! It be HOMEBREW! For the 32X even! :D

any screens of this baby in action :)

wolf32x-grabs.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/wolf32x-grabs.zip)

I did those in Gens/GS, the current best SEGA emulator for linux. Others report this works fine in Kega Fusion in Windows.

TmEE did a picture of him running this on a real 32X.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/1876835/32XWOLF.jpg

i may add a 32x section to the sega saturn site ;)

That would be cool. This won't be the last 32X thing I do. ;)

JLF65
February 8th, 2009, 07:59
Alpha 3 now up. The view size now defaults to 256 wide. You can increase the view size with Start+B+Right/Y+Right, and decrease the view size with Start+B+Left/Y+Left. Given the speed you see from changing the view size, I don't think I need to knock myself out trying to optimize the rendering.

wraggster
February 8th, 2009, 10:23
Ok this is great news, ill post this on the Sega Saturn site with screens and send the news to some of the big tech sites, definetly worthy of some mainstream attention :)

JLF65
February 9th, 2009, 12:18
Alpha 4 now up. Thanks to Snake, I was able to get Fusion running in WINE. That allowed me to get the digital sound effects running. Still working on the FM synth.

MAXIMUSpowers
February 9th, 2009, 12:49
This is incredible! Welldone! What framerate does it run at on the real hardware? Do you plan for any further homebrew on the 32X? I hope you do. I may just have to add a 32x to my collection to play this!

JLF65
February 9th, 2009, 23:31
I have a flash cart coming in so I can see how it works on real hardware. Right now, I just use emulation to debug. Yes, I do plan on more stuff.

xenonsoft
February 20th, 2009, 18:01
This is outstanding!!! I need to reinstall the Tototek Flash apps. I'll try it in my 32X soon!

PS: It works perfectly with Kega

JLF65
February 20th, 2009, 21:07
Be sure to get the beta release, not the alpha! The beta is so much better!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184776

T2KFreeker
March 31st, 2009, 07:24
Really impressed by this one. After all of these years, someone is finally doing some 32-X work! After reading about this, I also came across some information that there is also going to be a 32-X CD version also. Is this true? Would be great for those of us that do not have a flash cart and do not want to use an emulator. I would love to get into this on the actual hardware and since my 32-X has been starved for new games, this one is right up my alley! By the way, after reading what I wrote, I should also point out that I am impressed that this is working and glad to see that someone is actually taking some notice of one of the most underated systems of all time. You rock dude!

JLF65
March 31st, 2009, 23:53
Yes, there will be a 32X CD version. I'm right in the middle of getting the 32X CD base code working. In theory, it's not too tough. You start the CD up like normal, then pass the 32X header and code/data that WOULD have been in a cart to the 32X through the framebuffer instead.

I always liked my 32X, but was rather disappointed that SEGA cut off support so quickly. When someone over at SpritesMind posted an alpha for a Gameboy emulator for the 32X, I realized things had come along far enough that homebrew on the 32X was no longer a huge pain. You could use gcc instead of old Windows assemblers, for example.

I use gcc 4.1.1 for the 68000 from the uclinux site for compiling/assembling 68000 code, and gcc 4.3.2 for the SH2 from KPIT for compiling/assembling SH2 code.

T2KFreeker
April 1st, 2009, 03:22
Yes, there will be a 32X CD version. I'm right in the middle of getting the 32X CD base code working. In theory, it's not too tough. You start the CD up like normal, then pass the 32X header and code/data that WOULD have been in a cart to the 32X through the framebuffer instead.

I always liked my 32X, but was rather disappointed that SEGA cut off support so quickly. When someone over at SpritesMind posted an alpha for a Gameboy emulator for the 32X, I realized things had come along far enough that homebrew on the 32X was no longer a huge pain. You could use gcc instead of old Windows assemblers, for example.

I use gcc 4.1.1 for the 68000 from the uclinux site for compiling/assembling 68000 code, and gcc 4.3.2 for the SH2 from KPIT for compiling/assembling SH2 code.

Well, I still play my Sega systems, especially my Sega 32-X. Please once this sucker is ready for testing on the CD side let me know as I would love to see what the 32-X CD was able to do outside of the cheesy FMV realm. Hell, you do this up and I might even go through the process of doing up a nice gase jacket, booklet and disc label.:thumbup:

Actually, do you plan to port anything else over also? Would love to see some more 32-X love! I would be more than happy to design instruction booklets and the like for said games. I'll see what I can throw together for Wolfenstein 3-D.

JLF65
April 1st, 2009, 03:59
Well, I still play my Sega systems, especially my Sega 32-X.

I've never packed away my Sega Genesis/CD/32X. I just didn't SERIOUSLY consider doing homebrew on it until Jan. I've been mostly working on PSP homebrew before that.

Please once this sucker is ready for testing on the CD side let me know as I would love to see what the 32-X CD was able to do outside of the cheesy FMV realm. Hell, you do this up and I might even go through the process of doing up a nice case jacket, booklet and disc label.:thumbup:

Cool, I'd love to see what you come up with. Will it be a standard jewel case? Sega CD cases were always a bit big in my opinion. I think regular jewel cases would have been better.

Actually, do you plan to port anything else over also? Would love to see some more 32-X love! I would be more than happy to design instruction booklets and the like for said games. I'll see what I can throw together for Wolfenstein 3-D.

Certainly. Wolf32X is mostly just a learning experience. I do plan to work on more... like Quake 3!! Just kidding! Q3 would be asking for too much. :D

I will be working on Doom (which was the reason I started with Wolf3D). I'm fairly certain a better version can be done now than what we got in 94. I'm also keeping an eye out for other things that could be converted. The main thing is that most programs these days assume a PC with virtually infinite memory. That's the main limitation for the 32X CD - very little memory.

Anywho, if you have anything you'd like to see, just post it. The worst that would happen is I'd say it's probably too much for the 32X CD to handle.

T2KFreeker
April 1st, 2009, 04:46
Yeah, I got three that I think would be cool to see on Jaguar CD;
Return To Zork
Puzzle Bobble
Road Rash (The PC/3DO/Saturn Version)

JLF65
April 1st, 2009, 22:30
Err - remember the sticky: no source, no port. That applies to ALL consoles.

mrbigreddog
April 10th, 2009, 21:06
I actually had a 32x and sold it right after I got it so I could get a PC.... It was a good/bad decision at the time..... But I'm getting a Sega CDx and 32x this weekend! So I just can't wait for the 32x CD version of this wolfenstein! Kickass! Maybe a low res version of Quake might work? Just a thought....

JLF65
April 14th, 2009, 10:08
I'm working on the CD base code, so Wolf32X for the CD 32X isn't too far away. Quake? Don't know that I want to do THAT much work! :) I will be working on Doom, though. I've always wanted a better Doom for the 32X, and I've worked on Doom on other platforms. Wolf3D was just a learning experience to get me up to speed on the 32X.

mrbigreddog
April 14th, 2009, 14:45
I'm working on the CD base code, so Wolf32X for the CD 32X isn't too far away. Quake? Don't know that I want to do THAT much work! :) I will be working on Doom, though. I've always wanted a better Doom for the 32X, and I've worked on Doom on other platforms. Wolf3D was just a learning experience to get me up to speed on the 32X.

A better Doom sounds killer!!!

Do you think you can use the information your learning about converting your wolf32x to CD 32x for porting regular 32x games to the 32x CD... so that we could play some of the beta 32x games on our real hardware? Without having to own a flash card?

JLF65
April 15th, 2009, 09:12
Do you think you can use the information your learning about converting your wolf32x to CD 32x for porting regular 32x games to the 32x CD... so that we could play some of the beta 32x games on our real hardware? Without having to own a flash card?

Not likely. The two styles are rather different given the differences in resources. A 32X cart uses the 4 MB of space to offset the lack of ram. The CD doesn't have that space, so it loads things as needed into the ram it has.

Add to that the problem that we don't have source code for any of the 32X games... the game would first have to be reverse engineered before you could even start to try to convert it. That's way too much work.

mrbigreddog
April 15th, 2009, 13:25
Not likely. The two styles are rather different given the differences in resources. A 32X cart uses the 4 MB of space to offset the lack of ram. The CD doesn't have that space, so it loads things as needed into the ram it has.

Add to that the problem that we don't have source code for any of the 32X games... the game would first have to be reverse engineered before you could even start to try to convert it. That's way too much work.

Thanks for the info! Don't let me keep you from your hard work on Wolf32x!

T2KFreeker
April 17th, 2009, 06:31
Yeah, so we are talking Wolfenstein 3 D 32-X CD as well as DOOM 32-X CD? Or are we just going to be getting DOOM as a cart also? Again, if you give me a heads up as to when these will release, I can work on some box art for them. Also, yeah, I was thinking Jewel Cases VS the big bixes as they would be a pain to get anyway. Well, unless you have a few copies of Tomcat Alley to steal off of.:D

JLF65
April 20th, 2009, 09:50
Yeah, so we are talking Wolfenstein 3 D 32-X CD as well as DOOM 32-X CD? Or are we just going to be getting DOOM as a cart also? Again, if you give me a heads up as to when these will release, I can work on some box art for them. Also, yeah, I was thinking Jewel Cases VS the big bixes as they would be a pain to get anyway. Well, unless you have a few copies of Tomcat Alley to steal off of.:D

Wolf3D CD 32X to start, then I'll work on Doom. I suppose I'll probably have both a cart and CD version for Doom. I was thinking I'd make an injector system so that people could inject the level data from their Doom WAD into the cart to play. One of the things you may have noticed about the current 32X Doom - there's not enough space in the cart for the whole thing. I figure people can inject a few levels, play them, then inject the next few levels. The save game would allow you to continue where you left off. Obviously, the CD wouldn't have that problem.

I figure any new CD 32X artwork should target standard CD cases... slimline preferably. Or would people prefer Slimline DVD cases? Those are pretty nifty! :)

xenonsoft
April 28th, 2009, 07:36
Thanks very much for your hard work... :thumbup::thumbup:

And thanks to think that 32X can be a useful machine!!

T2KFreeker
July 5th, 2009, 04:32
Man, I so need to find time to make it over here. Has there been any new developments for this? I see that there haven't been any more posts, so I hope that the projects haven't been scrapped!:confused:

JLF65
July 5th, 2009, 06:00
Man, I so need to find time to make it over here. Has there been any new developments for this? I see that there haven't been any more posts, so I hope that the projects haven't been scrapped!:confused:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=184776

StryfeDc
August 5th, 2009, 20:37
Sorry for the newb question, but what exactly do I need to run this?

I have a model 1 & 2 Sega Genesis, their Cd expansions, and a 32X adapter. Can I run this with just those?

JLF65
August 6th, 2009, 00:26
Sorry for the newb question, but what exactly do I need to run this?

I have a model 1 & 2 Sega Genesis, their Cd expansions, and a 32X adapter. Can I run this with just those?

First, make sure you get the BETA, not this alpha. It's in it's own thread in the news forum. Second - you need either an emulator like KEGA Fusion or Gens/GS, or you need a flash cart to play on real hardware.

grace12
January 25th, 2010, 02:58
the wire dvd set (http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/The-Wire-Seasons-1-5-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1443.html)
The Office box set (http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/The-Office-Seasons-1-5-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1894.html)
The Tudors box set (http://www.dvdcollects.com/products/The-Tudors-Seasons-1-3-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1708.html)