PDA

View Full Version : PSP Hibernates at 40% Battery Life Remaining

Tesseract
February 7th, 2009, 04:16
As it says in the title, My PSP has been going to sleep lately when there's plenty of power left. It'll suspend in the middle of a game when I KNOW I'm nowhere near empty. I'll fire it back up and there'll still be like... 43% life left.

I've tried removing and re-seating the battery, cleaning the contacts, etc... I know the battery door is loose (have a replacement on its way from DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/)), but even when I'm squeezing on that to keep the battery from potentially coming loose, it doesn't help.

It works fine when plugged in, and I can't point to any new plugin as the cause, since itworked fine for a while after installing the last plugins I loaded in.

Any suggestions?

dangee
February 7th, 2009, 20:29
Even genuine Sony batteries have a limited lifespan.

I read somewhere that after about 2 years daily use
they deplete quickly and behave erratically at low charge level

Tesseract
February 8th, 2009, 00:44
Ah, and it's been about 2 years now. Thanks, then!

Qmark
February 8th, 2009, 09:42
Could be that it just needs the internal controller reset.
Go get a 4v LED, and connect it to contacts 1 and 3 on the battery, then let it set until the battery discharges (about four or five days).

acn010
February 8th, 2009, 12:11
mine is like 3 years now lol since the first day i got my psp and i use it everyday nonstop and charging it :D

Tesseract
February 8th, 2009, 22:13
Could be that it just needs the internal controller reset.
Go get a 4v LED, and connect it to contacts 1 and 3 on the battery, then let it set until the battery discharges (about four or five days).
Got any more specific info on this device that would help me find it for purchase or borrow from a friend?

I've ordered a new battery anyway (One with higher capacity), but I wouldn't be opposed to having a fully-functional spare around.

I should note that I bought my Phat PSP USED about 2 years ago. I've no Idea how old it was prior to that, so I'm not really that shattered about having to grab a new battery. I use it at LEAST 8 hours a day for music at work, so I've gotten lots of use out of it. :D

Qmark
February 9th, 2009, 02:12
Got any more specific info on this device that would help me find it for purchase or borrow from a friend?Go to an electronic hobbyist store, such as a Radio Shack, and ask for a four volt LED.

It's a very common component.
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/led.htm

dangee
February 9th, 2009, 21:44
I've done some research.

The PSP battery is Lithium-ion with expected lifespan of 2-3 years from
the manufacture date.
That's absolute, a purely time based effect caused by the a breakdown
of the battery chemistry - the number of charging cycles doesn't make
much difference.
The best way to maximise the battery life is to keep it charged
to at least 40% when it's not in use, and store it in a cool place.

more.. (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030314081843218)