PDA

View Full Version : Does the Eloader "futureproof homebrew?

Vampyronight
February 5th, 2006, 22:12
Hey everyone, I was considering picking up GTA so I could secure homebrew when I buy a game that requires higher firmware (at 1.5 right now).

But, I have to wonder if this eloader will continue to work on future firmwares. My gut instincts tell me it will because I would think that any firmware update that altered the way you saved games would practically ruin any previous gamesaves. But I'm no coder, so I came to see if anyone had any insight on the manner.

For the record, I don't hate GTA or anything, but it wasn't especially high on my list of games to purchase since it's set in Liberty City. I'd probably enjoy it, but I'm not dieing to get it. But it's definately worth the price of admission if it secures homebrew usage for a long time.

shiftybill
February 6th, 2006, 04:56
im pretty sure it is running through a back door that rockstar left behind

so im pretty sure that your safe

Adz
February 7th, 2006, 01:49
i got gta today, not only to play the awesome game but like many, i got a V2.01 psp and the Eloader works perfect. as for ur unsettled thoughts about the survival of homebrew, i think i can say that you can rest assured that with people like Fanjita working to better homebrew for the next versions, then homebrew will live on.

im just hoping hes working on something to work without gta, a stand alone eboot for later Versions ;)

Vampyronight
February 7th, 2006, 02:40
A standalone would be ideal, but I'm not overally opposed to buying GTA for this. But I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the plunge if it's probable that Sony could patch this with a firmware update, ya know?

morg13
February 7th, 2006, 16:35
well i thing future hombrew will be created to work on 2.0+, curse ther are more 2.0+ than 1.5 users, and ther will be more....

hombrew on 1.5 isnīt the futur, so i think updating is ok

DraconumPB
February 7th, 2006, 18:25
Well, er, besides that.. GTA is a good game, haha....

I actually don't play much homebrew since I got GTA... right after that I got DJ Max too... I will be busy for awhile.. anyhow, it's not that I have a constant need to be playing Emus or anything, in fact, I can't sit still and play my PSP at home (except you-know-where... hehehe) so my PSP functions basically as a time-passer... given that there is the awesome cheat device for GTA which allows you to do almost anything (lowered gravity, riding on walls, flying bikes, and whatnot) I can play GTA for hours on end without even touching the missions, which is much more stimulation than is actually needed. If I have to choose between having some homebrew/GTA or all homebrew/1.5, I think that most of the time I pick 2.00/gta.

Of course sometimes it's great to be able to go and finish Sonic 2 or FF III, or run a nice-looking shell, when it comes down to it, it's not what you bought the PSP for.. so, as long as the occasional awesome homebrew runs (and on 2.00 nearly all the emus do that I'm aware of, plus Iris and various other excellent homebrew apps) I think I'm OK.

And, even if I downgrade to check out PSP-OSS, Artilliry-Shell, and PSIX, I will promptly upgrade again so I can get back to playing GTA in between classes :p

Vampyronight
February 8th, 2006, 01:19
Well, I think some of you didn't quite catch what I wanted to discuss.

I know that most homebrew works on 2.0, through the eboot loader.

However, I'm referring to the eloader, or the GTA loader. There are games coming out that require 2.6 which I'd like to pick up sooner or later, but I don't want to lose homebrew. What are the odds that Sony could patch the save exploit through a firmware update? If it would be damn near impossible, then buying GTA is worth it for me at $50. But if not, I might try to wait this out.