PDA

View Full Version : [B]The original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP![/B]

falkennewton
February 6th, 2006, 03:21
The moment every one has bean waiting for! The original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP (Play Station Portable). Yes! It is true, you to can have this amazing achievement on your system too. How is this possible you ask... well I will tell you.
The system specs required for the installation of FFVII are as follows, win 95 or higher, PII-160 mghs, 35 megs of ram, ext... as you can see the specs for this game are minimal! Well, that is for the windows installation, hmmm... what was that I heard a wile ago? Ah yes, windows for the PSP! (Yes Matan and others have come up with a way to emulate windows, with a virtual hard drive) and if you don’t know the PSP runs at 333.3 mghs. It is theoretically possible for one of these programers (Matan) to install FFVII on the virtual hard drive either before installation on the PSP or after. The advantage of “pre-installation” is no work for you! Just unpack to the PSP mem stick, and away you are!
The only problem is, no one has don it yet. I do not have the experience nor knowledge to do this myself, so get together people, and start begging these people to get FFVII on your psp!
Spread the word and soon we could have it all!

If any people are reading this and have the knowledge to do what I have asked you to, pleas e-mail me @ [email protected] I would love to be updated on the progress of this project. And I would like a little credit for the idea... ;)

falkennewton
February 6th, 2006, 03:23
I will say it again, we need your help to get the word out and tell these people how they can do it!

RedKing14CA
February 6th, 2006, 05:21
... dude... the only way would be to port.. PORT... psp is only 32MB and to EMULATE you need to have atleast 5 times the power of the system you trying to emulate...

What you are talking about, i have used before, and windows 95 for psp does not even have mouse support... it only has 8MB of ram available of the psp... it cannot run FFVII

The only thing would be to port it, however people are only interested in porting games like doom and quake, and half-life, great and fun games, but short, and not appealing to all... i would hope after getting those games ported they would move to longer more RPG type games, im very much hoping for the shareware Diablo, and Starcraft!!!

Final fantasy VII is not shareware, and cannot be ported to the psp entirely legally like quake and doom... (and Starcraft and Diablo ppl!!!)

michael jackson
February 6th, 2006, 07:55
HEY LETS PORT A GOOD GAME (its good cus i like it and we all know popularity makes something good just like paris hilton)

LETS PORT GRANDTHEFT AUTO!!!

tryqus
February 8th, 2006, 20:44
A GTA 1~2 port would be improbable at best.

If you mean GTA 3...

Well maybe you should try thinking before you hit the post button.

-Tryqus

BrokenWing
February 16th, 2006, 19:07

We all know where to find emulators right? :rolleyes:

If you mean GTA 3...

It may be possible...of course not full speed...and the chances of finding someone to remake GTA 3 is not likely. I'm 95% positive GTA 3 isn't open source. Maybe 15 fps if it was open source and ported. More like 45 fps if completely remade because it'd be designed to handle the psp's limitations.

feedback_bsr
February 17th, 2006, 07:25
HEY LETS PORT A GOOD GAME (its good cus i like it and we all know popularity makes something good just like paris hilton)

LETS PORT GRANDTHEFT AUTO!!!

Just download a GB or GBA emu and go get the roms :P

Mentat
February 26th, 2006, 22:24
Using Bochs with a Windows emulator is a stupid idea, at best. Like RedKing14CA said, you'd need about five times more power just to emulate the CPU. 333 MHz on the PSP's CPU is not comparable to a 333 MHz Pentium II. They're not the same, and if you compare AMD chips and Intel chips, you'll see that measuing a chip by it's clock speed is no real measure of its true power.

I played FFVII PC on a computer that barely fit the minimal requirements. At 320x240 mode, I got about 15 FPS. At 640x480 mode, I got 2 FPS, if I was lucky. More often than not, I got 1-.5 FPS. That's right, one frame for every one to two seconds. I'd shudder to imagine what this would be like.

Storing all the data would be a major pain too. The FF7PC installation took up a (for the time) huge 450 MB chunk of storage. Couple that with three 650 MB discs (I don't think they had 700 MB discs then) and you have another 1,950 MB to store. Adding all of that together, plus about 500 MB for a Win98 install, you have 2,900 MB. No one makes memory sticks larger than 2 GB. Datel makes a hard disk that's 4 GB in size. You'd be devoting about two thirds of that, 2.83 Gibibytes, to an underpowered, beyond-super-slow, inferior port of FFVII. I'd take that copy of FFVII and put it out of its misery.

The only real solution is to get SquareEnix to port FFVII to the PSP. FF7PSX used three CDs, but that was using the old MDECS video codec. MDECS has a ton in common with MPEG-1. SE could easily squash those videos down to H.264 (A.K.A. A.V.C.) and gain a huge amount of space. If FF7PC is any comparison, most of those three CDs were (as if you couldn't guess) videos.

Given the PSP's video capabilities, which I say is closer to the Dreamcast than the PSX, the game is definately possible on the system, given a PROPER porting.

Given what a money maker FFVII is, though, and its popularity, I'm surprised that the Sony guys haven't been selling themselves, their souls, and anything else they have, to SquareEnix to make a port of FFVII. A game like that would sell a lot of PSPs.

We all know where to find emulators right? :rolleyes:

If you mean GTA 3...

It may be possible...of course not full speed...and the chances of finding someone to remake GTA 3 is not likely. I'm 95% positive GTA 3 isn't open source. Maybe 15 fps if it was open source and ported. More like 45 fps if completely remade because it'd be designed to handle the psp's limitations.
Allow my to infuse some brains here. THERE ARE NO OPEN SOURCE GAMES FOR THE PS2! As someone who works with Open Source software on a daily basis, I know what I'm talking about. No corporate entity in this day and age are going to risk losing money on their games by making it open source. And making it open source is only half of the problem with porting it. I don't believe Doom or Quake were OSS, but they were ported. Why? Because they're shareware. They're under a different license that's expired and now allows people to distribute and modify the code.

If it was Open Source and Ported, it'd be more likely to be running at 30 FPS. Do you think and porter in their right mind wouldn't take a chance at improving the efficiency of the game by scaling down some of the texture maps?

Your big problem is going to be fitting it. I don't have a firm number, but GTA 3 is stored on a DVD disc. That means it could occupy anywhere from 1 MByte to 4.38 GBytes. That's just if it's single layered. Using dual-layering technology, it could get as large as 7.5 GBytes. But I'd settle around 3.5-4 GB as the most likely size. The UMD can hold 900 MBytes, or 1.8 GBytes in dual-layered mode. It would take a lot of work to find a way to compress that much data. We'd lose a lot of data. Probably have to strip out a radio station or two, maybe recompress all the voice acting, majorly scale down the texture maps, and still a ton more would need to be recompressed.

And this is all off topic. I'm sick and tired of people coming into a thread saying "No way! They should port a good game like (Game name here)!" If you'd rather see a different game ported, then go start a thread about it. Your complaints aren't going to change the fact that we'd all like to see FFVII on the PSP. I'm not trying to be rude, sound like I'm angry, irate (sp?), or anyhting like that. I'm just tired of people making those kinds of comments.

P.S.: Might want to check out this link (http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ff7psp). Online petitions haven't always made an impact, but it's nice to show some support.

February 27th, 2006, 04:58
why don't you port a simple game like.....well........i forgot..

michael chan
February 27th, 2006, 05:10
y would u want to port gta3? u can just by gta:lcs..its the same acept lcs is beter in a wway..

tryqus
February 28th, 2006, 22:25
This entire thread is moronic at best...

-Meh

cloud_952
March 1st, 2006, 01:41
Just a quick reply to what Mentat was saying.

I agree with most of your points, but just have some small things to add, especially on space requirements.

Regarding FFVII, alot of the data between the discs is redundant data, which means that you could do without alot of it. There's also the fact that you only need one CD on your mem stick at a time. ^^ In addition to this, there have been projects that have been able to massively compress FFVII by cutting, lowering the res, and shortening the movies in the game, so it is possible. Alas, I think this was with a PSX version. Not sure if that'd work on the PC (but it should).

Second, GTA 3 (at least the Xbox copy) takes up less than a gig. Significantly less, if I recall (between 500-700MB).

None of this is of import. Just thought I'd bring it up. ^_^ Otherwise, I completely agree that it's a totally pointless idea, and worse yet, completely moot.

TheEmulatorGuy
March 3rd, 2006, 04:37
You will never be able to play Final Fantasy VII on the PSP. If you really think there is enough memory for the game, you are "not so smart". The minimum requirements are for the PC, not the PSP. Things work differently.

m1ndle5s
March 3rd, 2006, 08:45
hmmm, pacmanfan's ps1 emu (wen it comes ot of course) combined with the ff7 iso = original ff7 on psp. file size you ask? 4gb ms duo or the hd

gamerremag
March 3rd, 2006, 23:51
um...WinMX says you can get Final FAntasy seven for PC at less than 2gb. thats with the instal disk, cd1, and cd2. if anyone even cares anymore about this :)
installl disk: 509 884 416
cd1 : 541 242 196
cd2 : 602 080 220
cd3 : 458 752 760

sorry!

ThOrGaLSuGo
April 1st, 2006, 23:29
... dude... the only way would be to port.. PORT... psp is only 32MB and to EMULATE you need to have atleast 5 times the power of the system you trying to emulate...

What you are talking about, i have used before, and windows 95 for psp does not even have mouse support... it only has 8MB of ram available of the psp... it cannot run FFVII

The only thing would be to port it, however people are only interested in porting games like doom and quake, and half-life, great and fun games, but short, and not appealing to all... i would hope after getting those games ported they would move to longer more RPG type games, im very much hoping for the shareware Diablo, and Starcraft!!!

Final fantasy VII is not shareware, and cannot be ported to the psp entirely legally like quake and doom... (and Starcraft and Diablo ppl!!!)
I think it's not a question of shareware demo version...
There are no open source of ffVII pc code.
However, FFVII pc was a very bad portage of playstation version.

Bobby Lemain
April 8th, 2006, 04:15
dude.... I got windows 3.1 to emulate with BOCHS for psp and it moves so slowly FF would kill your battery before you can make it to a save point...

nonarKitten
April 29th, 2006, 03:07
Baka.

Grand Theft Auto 3 fills a DVD ~ 4.3GB. But why keep asking for stupid games that are only suitable for home gaming and not handheld gaming. What we need more of are step-in-play-step-out games. That's why Nintendo is kicking Sony's tailpipe all over the place.

We need 2D shooters, simple RPG's and strategy games that can save in an instant. Games you can play for 2-3 minutes and put down right away. Sports games are okay too, but maybe EA should be looking at upping the graphics with gameplay in '98-era sports games instead of watering down current games and trying to maintain an absurd level of game complexity.

Cloud_35
April 29th, 2006, 04:33
Would be better to port (or run), for example, the classic FF games (ya know, IV, V, VI, tactics...)

cloud_952
April 29th, 2006, 04:35
Why do people keep bringing this back from the dead?? Anyway, regarding GTA3, I don't believe it fills a whole DVD. In fact, when I ripped it to my Xbox hdd (I bought the game, ripped it, and play it from the HDD, for those who are wondering), it was about .6-1.6GB, NOT 4.3GB. In fact, I think it was less than a gig. So, just because a DVD has that much storage doesn't mean it takes anywhere near there.

But this is totally off topic. I'm just tired of people whipping the fact that it was ON a dvd around like it actually means something.

Eric
April 29th, 2006, 06:01
HA HA this talk should be done now. Porting any FF games or Grandtheftauto games will not work without a open source code. Without that there will be no game play. Hardly any commercial companies have open source codes except for ID and possibly a small amount of others. If there is anything interesting that should be ported its Quake 3 Arena cause awhile back i believe the source was open to the public. Yes its hard but thats basically the only cool commercial game open source right now.

I xfire I
April 29th, 2006, 08:57
actually people do make cards larger than 4gb

you can find it here=http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/SanDisk/256MB/Memory/Stick/PRO/DUO/(Sony/PSP/Memory)

yeh, i also agree that it would be alot of work just to port a small part of it

the gameplay from gta lcs and gta3 are different, different missions etc thats the only reason i see for porting.

but i agree, its a bit of a stupid idea

gangsta_psp
May 19th, 2006, 03:05
Just letting you all know that squenix is going to release a game called FFVII: Crisis Core for the psp. Its probably gonna be good, so just wait for it.

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 18:38