PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to buy a psp

Danief
February 15th, 2009, 02:18
I plan on buying a psp, but strictly for emulators. i dont plan on buying any games. which version of the psp is the best for emulating?

are there any n64 emulators?

or any turbo grafix emulators?

Jmax
February 15th, 2009, 02:59
The first generation PSPs are the best for emulating.

and yes to n64 and turbo

Danief
February 15th, 2009, 05:50
The first generation PSPs are the best for emulating.

and yes to n64 and turbo

the very first generation? so the very fattest one? the psp phat?

how clean does the 64 emulator run?

and i heard theyre coming out with a new psp... should i wait for it?

gezegond
February 15th, 2009, 10:38
I have a PSP Slim and it's absolutely cool. I've got emulators for NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,Game Boy,GBC and GBA which run perfectly and a PS1 emulator which is difficult to install but is great and runs all the games, PSP has a N64 emulator but it is not complete yet and is in development for now. Also PSP is great at playing music and watching movies and it also has some great games on the umd (I recommend buying GTA:Liberty City stories) and don't forget the PSN, So it is really worth the money.
PS:
if you just want emulators you might wanna search the web for "GP2X" or something like that which is built for emulators.

Danief
February 15th, 2009, 16:45
I have a PSP Slim and it's absolutely cool. I've got emulators for NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,Game Boy,GBC and GBA which run perfectly and a PS1 emulator which is difficult to install but is great and runs all the games, PSP has a N64 emulator but it is not complete yet and is in development for now. Also PSP is great at playing music and watching movies and it also has some great games on the umd (I recommend buying GTA:Liberty City stories) and don't forget the PSN, So it is really worth the money.
PS:
if you just want emulators you might wanna search the web for "GP2X" or something like that which is built for emulators.

i looked up that thing... and it looks interesting. does it run n64 well? the only bad thing is that it takes batteries...

so im just gonna get the cheapest psp on the market... im not sure what one it is but i can get it for like 100 bucks on ebay. PLUS psp has a kitten cannon port!

oh yeah, does psp have a swf opener? or flash player?

Wally
February 16th, 2009, 02:31
I'd go a Slim instead of a phat for N64 emulation, there's already a lot of benefits over the phat :)

apex05
February 17th, 2009, 01:23
The main reason to get a slim over a phat is 64mb ram compared to 32mb for the phat, it makes the slim capable of things the phat can never do

Danief
February 17th, 2009, 02:11
The main reason to get a slim over a phat is 64mb ram compared to 32mb for the phat, it makes the slim capable of things the phat can never do

then i should get a slim, its the best right?

check my previous post for other questions...

Jhonny
February 17th, 2009, 17:31
yes get a slim

Danief
February 18th, 2009, 17:56
is there a flash player for psp? or a swf opener?

contractmadness
February 18th, 2009, 18:40
DO NOT GET A SLIM!!!!! go with a phat, and make sure( if you can) that it has lower firmware... but just getting a phat is good enough. psp slims are usualy unhackable, they are missing features like the infrared sensor thingy(dont know what its called) and slims are cheap, flimsy pieces of crap that are easy to break. if you MUST get a slim, make sure its hackable if you can

Wally
February 18th, 2009, 22:15
DO NOT GET A SLIM!!!!! go with a phat, and make sure( if you can) that it has lower firmware... but just getting a phat is good enough. psp slims are usualy unhackable, they are missing features like the infrared sensor thingy(dont know what its called) and slims are cheap, flimsy pieces of crap that are easy to break. if you MUST get a slim, make sure its hackable if you can

Funny you say that, I have NOT seen anyone use the Infrared sensor for anything around here, I'd laugh if I saw some guy turn a TV off with their PSP or use a PSP keyboard on the train. I can achieve the same thing with a $3 keyring remote.

My slim is two years old and you are saying it has broken? I've dropped it numerous amounts of times and have not had any damage to it yet. Where as my phat, the UMD drive door broke on first drop.

The OP originally stated THAT, he will be using N64 emulator, as a dev of Daedalus, its already using the extra memory of the Slim.

In my opinion, the fat is too heavy and things break a lot easier on it than it does on the slim, so please do not suggest the phat. There's also plenty of places to get the hackable slim, i'm sure there's plenty of them still around (even on ebay from reputable sellers)

Homebrew is fun on the slim too!

juiceface
February 18th, 2009, 22:53
get a slim or phat, but beware: some of the newer slim models are using the new motherboard that is basically unhackable at the moment. I forget the model number off hand but you can easily google which ones you want to stay away from if you wish to do homebrew.

I have a phat myself, but that extra 32 megs of memory would be nice.

Danief
February 19th, 2009, 03:53
well, i think wally has a more reliable opinion in this situation. given the lack of multiple exclamation points and his 1,000 posts.

so how can i be sure to get a slim thats hackable? any way to identify it?

is a psp 2000 the same as a psp slim?

Wally
February 19th, 2009, 08:30
PSP 2000 is a slim :)

You can get them hackable, depends where you are.. Ebay is the best option for pre hacked slims, as long as you get them via PayPal.