PDA

View Full Version : Wolf32X - finally in beta!

JLF65
February 17th, 2009, 05:27
Okay, after a LOT of work, here's beta 1 of Wolf32X. I completely reworked the "file" handling so that everything is in ROM, with no memory allocated other than static arrays used for things that change. No more memory corruption! This also slimmed things down a bit - Wolf32X now has 19 M Power!! That's 2.5 MB for those of us that laugh at the Mbit unit. ;)

The other major addition is working digital sound - this is fully tested on a real 32X. The sound is great and doesn't slow the game at all. I'll probably take a break before working on FM audio.

As usual, all the source is included. That includes the new unpacker I wrote to fully process the data files. It should work on the Wolf3D full files, as well as Spear of Doom shareware and full files. If there's a call for it, I'll compile a version of the SOD shareware.

EDIT: Went ahead and compiled SOD Shareware. The second link has BOTH Wolf3D and SOD Shareware.

EDIT 2009-02-21: Minor update - fixed six button controller support. Thanks to snake for the help!

EDIT 2009-03-09: Major update! Added FM sound effects and Load/Save!

EDIT 2009-03-11: Added auto-map. Read readme for details.

EDIT 2009-06-07: Added mouse support.

Wolf32X-b1.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/Wolf32X-b1.zip)
w3d-sod-sw-b1.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/w3d-sod-sw-b1.zip)
w3d-sod-sw-b2.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/w3d-sod-sw-b2.zip)
w3d-sod-sw-b3.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/w3d-sod-sw-b3.zip)
w3d-sod-sw-b4.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/w3d-sod-sw-b4.zip)
w3d-sod-sw-b5.zip (http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/3/2304902/w3d-sod-sw-b5.zip)

Tyr
February 18th, 2009, 10:20
Finally some REAL 32x homebrew! , very cool indeed.

Just out of curiousity which backup unit did you use to run this on your 32x?

JLF65
February 18th, 2009, 13:52
I'm using the MD-Pro 64 from TotoTek. I just got it last week - I was using Gens/GS to do testing before that. TmEE did the first test on a real 32X back at alpha 1. That's when I ordered my MD-Pro.

xenonsoft
March 7th, 2009, 17:04
I don't find the parallel cable, so next week I'll buy one to test deeply this game.

Also, from now all releases will be Wolf 3D + SOD?

Regards,

JLF65
March 8th, 2009, 03:29
Yes, new releases will have both shareware games. Given how well they compress, I don't see a reason not to include both.

JLF65
March 9th, 2009, 18:12
Okay, here's beta 3. This is a pretty major update, adding FM sound effects and Load/Save game ability. You only get one save. The Load/Save menu still shows ten, but they all just do the same thing. There's only room in the SRAM for one save game. Since there's no keyboard and I don't want to make the effort to add an on-screen keyboard, the save tag is set to the map name automatically. That way you can at least tell what level you saved on. START + X is now Quick Load, and START + Y is Quick Save. For three button controllers, just use the menu to load/save.

The FM sound effects are synthesized before compiling using the MAME YM3812 OPL emulation. That is the way FM sound effects are played in most ports of Wolf3D, they just do it on the fly. There is a bug in the OPL emulation. Have you seen reports on the PSP version of Wolf3D that certain FM sound effects are missing? They're not missing, just very VERY quiet due to a bug in the OPL emulation. I scale certain sounds while they're being generated so that they are audible in Wolf32X. The volume is probably wrong, but I think they sound like they should. I'll be looking into this more.

Next up, music! :D

wraggster
March 9th, 2009, 19:17
awesome ill get newsposting :)

JLF65
March 12th, 2009, 02:55
Okay, I lied. Music wasn't next - I added an auto-map! :D

Read the README!!

xenonsoft
March 18th, 2009, 02:19
Thanks for your great work. I've been very busy, but hope finally I'll be able soon to test all betas in the real hardware. I've played them on KEGA Fusion :D

Maturion
March 18th, 2009, 18:42
That's fantastic! Thank you a LOT!

JLF65
June 7th, 2009, 08:27
Okay, here's beta 5! The main feature this time is mouse support. I know some folks don't like using a pad for FPS. Now you don't have to! :)

Of course, you DO have to have a mouse. You do, don't you? ;)

Tyr
June 7th, 2009, 21:52
Are there any known standard pc mices that are compatible with the megadrive ?

JLF65
June 8th, 2009, 05:26
Are there any known standard pc mices that are compatible with the megadrive ?

No. Not that I'm aware of. The new code supports SEGA's MegaMouse that commonly shipped with Wacky Worlds. This is a mouse that plugs into the SEGA Genesis controller port, which is a DB9 connector. It's nothing at all like any PC connector, other than the mini-serial. Mini-serial interface PC mice won't work on the SEGA Genesis.

Tyr
June 8th, 2009, 20:28
I wonder if the mouse even came out in Europe cause it seems pretty damn hard to find here thats for sure.

JLF65
June 8th, 2009, 21:12
I wonder if the mouse even came out in Europe cause it seems pretty damn hard to find here thats for sure.

I got mine on eBay pretty cheap. Just get a US mouse - even if you can't use the cart that comes with it, the mouse is usable on any SEGA system.

Tyr
June 8th, 2009, 21:56
Don't like ebay , i wonder if its possible to build one out of a pc mouse and a slaughtered megadrive pad or if its much more complex than that.

JLF65
June 8th, 2009, 22:39
More complex. Just look at the code in the source to read the mouse. The SEGA mouse uses a PIC chip - I suppose if you knew enough about that sort of thing, you could make an adapter that converts a modern optical mouse into a SEGA mouse packet. If you really want to work on that, I could probably help with details on the SEGA mouse packet.

Tyr
June 8th, 2009, 23:53
Nah sounds like its way out of my range, thanks anyways.

xenonsoft
June 23rd, 2009, 01:46
Seems that I will need to find a Megadrive mouse :D

Thanks again!

PS: Will you open a website for this port in a near future?