PDA

View Full Version : OPENMUGEN

odin820
August 11th, 2004, 20:39
MUGEN has recently become open source. According to its sourceforge page - http://openmugen.sourceforge.net - it will be coming to the xbox. Is anyone up to a DC version? If not I think it would be a cool project. I'd do it myself, but it's way out of my league.

Hola
August 11th, 2004, 20:47
Doesnt it use Direct X?

I doubt anyone will tackle it if it does.

LyonHrt
August 12th, 2004, 05:29
Well i don't actually think its the original mugen thats gone open source, i believe its a group of programmers that have created a open source fighting engine that is compatable with the creations make for the original mugen.

Although seems promising, its far to early in its development right now, to be considered porting.

Regarding seeing directx, it says about linux, so i doubt it does.

Eric
August 12th, 2004, 08:13
Yeah it sounds like it doesnt have DirectX and sounds amazing just by looking that its possible to use Street Fighter on it. But for a dreamcast port i dont know how good it would be. With what LyonHrt said its sounds like it wouldnt be to good right now as its pretty new.

Eric

Saoshyant
August 12th, 2004, 08:44
First, this is something I have been waiting for 2 years now. Second, mugen never used directx before and best of all hurray! Damn people, celebrate! Do port it, dc devs as soon as possible. It will be a powerful thing to call more people to the Dreamcast scene and moreover it will be a fun experience. So go for it. ^_^ (I'm so damn happy...)

Eric
August 12th, 2004, 09:06
Yes its interesting but again as far as compatibility for Dreamcast and lets remember about FPS (FRAMES PER SECOND) and speed I dont know how it would work on the DC and the only people to tell you would be the coders and they might say aswell as me that right now its not very compatible with a hell of a lot.

Eric

GPF
August 12th, 2004, 10:01
its uses some graphical framework called QT. So everything would need to be rewritten, probably not an easy task. Plus since its not even past the demo stage on windows, its going to be awhile till they get it ready for windows.

Troy

quzar
August 13th, 2004, 00:06
openmugen != opensource mugen. it is an attempt to make an open source engine capable of playing games made for mugen.

curt_grymala
August 13th, 2004, 04:44
openmugen != opensource mugen. it is an attempt to make an open source engine capable of playing games made for mugen.

And - for those of you that are unfamiliar with programming language, "!=" means "not equal to".

Segata_Sanshiro
August 13th, 2004, 17:07
The main problem is the same that won't allow us to have decent Neo·Geo or GBA emulation (this doesn't mean I don't recognise the hard work emulators like Visual Troy Advance require) is the lack of RAM. Although there are cool things like KOF91 for a 8MB machine like the GP32, MUGEN is way different.

Ken34
August 22nd, 2004, 20:28
man, Mugen would sure be sweat on the dreamcast, i guess we can only dream...

WHurricane16
August 22nd, 2004, 20:47
Here's what I extract from the DC scene every single time I read one of these threads:

open source...port it...no originality...I've been waiting for this because no one is original...open source...port it.....not enough RAM....ahhhh...Windows CE.....noooo Direct X...noooo Open GL...port it....make it happen

I'll try to post again when I'm in a better mood.

Athiril
August 24th, 2004, 08:55
Soon as my dreamcast arrives (better buy a coders cable too, burning onto CDR/CDRW may be inconveniant to do to test builds), I'll start porting my AirStrike Enhanced to DC (it's gonna be a fantastic shooter), my other project at the moment is a 2D RTS, it *was* going to be a StarCraft Clone with several enhancements etc, but I'll think I'll just make a RTS not based on StarCraft, DC has keyboard + mouse so it'll be good, i'll make it multiplayer compatible with Windows and Linux version, everything I've been doing recently is in Dev-C++ and SDL, I'll see if I can get LAN support into the DC via the broadband adapter and plugging into a router/switch etc...

Anyway, whats the *best* setup for developing for the Dreamcast, is it DCFreeDev? I just want to do C++/ASM and possibly SDL, I want to produce efficient fast compiled code etc...