PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing FreeMcBoot

Tesseract
March 4th, 2009, 01:05
I was hoping to post this in the 'official' forums for the project, but was unable to do so, so I thought I'd post here... Maybe I'll get an answer. ^^;

I've been a bit spoiled by my PSP's ability to leave a game to a shell and fire up a new one without having to reset the whole system. Does anyone know if it would be possible to leave a small bit of code in system memory allowing for a key combination on the controller (Like, say... L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3 all at once...) that would return you to the Free MCBoot GUI?

Beyond this, I'd love to have the ability to launch HDLoader installed games directly from the Browser via Free MC Boot, but that'd likely take a bit more clever coding. Heh... Little bit of work like this could probably see a functional XMB for the PS2. :thumbup:

If someone would be so kind as to cross-post this elsewhere, I'd appreciate it... Not sure why I couldn't post on the other boards.

masqueofhastur
April 22nd, 2009, 09:24
I imagine there are some limitations in capability when you're soft-modding the PS2. That would be something I'd expect with hard modding.

spiderman3141
April 24th, 2009, 23:16
Somebody was working on something called IGR or In Game Reset that worked with limited success. I haven't heard any progress in a while though.

ra_dlanor
May 10th, 2009, 13:12
Somebody was working on something called IGR or In Game Reset that worked with limited success. I haven't heard any progress in a while though.
An IGR beta has been released by ffgriever, the same guy who developed the ESR utility for booting backup games on an unmodified console. (Just google for IGR ffgriever, and you will find tons of hits.)

The IGR beta exists in two variants. One which is intended to relaunch HDLoader when the IGR button combo is pressed, and another which is intended to relaunch the main boot file on MC when the combo is pressed (for use with homebrew emulators etc). But unfortunately the compatibility of both IGR variants is extremely limited, as it is very likely to conflict (in its memory and system vector usage) with other system components, including not only the running games but also HDLoader/ESR and any cheat engines you may be using.

So in my own experience this IGR feature works well in less than 50% of the cases I've tried it... :(

This makes it impractical for me, except as an interesting experiment, as I would want at least an 80% success rate for regular use of IGR.

It is fortunate that ESR does not suffer from the same problem, with its success rate of over 99% in launching game backups.

Best regards: dlanor