PDA

View Full Version : Guide on how to convert dvd and video to PSP

lifteri
February 14th, 2006, 14:18
How to Convert(Rip) DVD And Video to PSP Video

1. Download, install and run PSP Movie Creator (http://www.lightsparkle.com/download/pspmcreator_v724.exe). It can convert from DVD, DivX/XviD video, AVI, WMV, MPG, MPEG, DAT(VCD), RM, RMVB, Tivo2Go, DVR-MS, QT, MOV(Ver 2) and more. DVD subtitles are also supported by PSP Movie Creator .

(PSP Movie Creator Download (http://www.lightsparkle.com/download/pspmcreator_v724.exe))

http://www.lightsparkle.com/images/products/12297/icon_4.gif (http://www.lightsparkle.com/download/pspmcreator_v724.exe)

2. Click "Open ..." button and choose a video file or DVD disc to open. Wait for the movie to start playing in the preview window.

http://www.lightsparkle.com/images/products/12297/open_psp.gif

3. Based on the aspect ration of the video source PSP Movie Creator will choose automatically the most proper resolution for optimum video playback on PSP display. Nevertheless you can manually select which resolution you want. PSP allows you to change Screen Mode to display 320x240 resolution video in different zoom, aspect ratios. For non-320x240 resolutions, PSP will always display in full screen. The resolutions supported by Sony PSP is limited to 76800 pixels. So only 320x240, 368x208, 400x192 are valid resolutions.. Alternatively, you can choose a Crop Mode to cut unimportant parts of the video (like top/bottom black bars or subtitles).

You can also adjust the desired quality to reduce the output size of the movie.

In the preview window you will see what the resulting movie will look like.

When you have set the desired settings simple click on the "Record it" button to convert the video/DVD.
Depending on the settings a 60 minutes video is converted on average for 25 minutes.

http://www.lightsparkle.com/images/products/12297/record_psp.gif

4. When the process finishes click "Transfer to PSP" if you wish to upload the converted movie on your PSP right away (the PSP must be connected with a USB cable to your computer).

http://www.lightsparkle.com/images/products/12297/transfef_psp.gif

5. Choose a location on your PSP where you wish the movie(s) to be placed. You can also change a video's title and see how much free space is available on the PSP.
When ready click on "Transfer Selected Files" and you're done.

http://www.lightsparkle.com/images/products/12297/upload_psp.gif

Tips

1. How to make a video thumbnail to be shown on PSP?
THM file is coupled with MP4 (video) file providing video thumbnail feature on your Sony PSP. You can capture a video thumbnail in PSP Movie Creator during both preview and recording. Click the Thumbnail button (on the right of the "Record it " button) to save the current video frame as a thumbnail (*.THM file) . This helps to identify the video content easily in PSP. The THM file is actually in JPG format. You can associate THM files with any image viewer on your PC so that you can double click and view it easily on your computer.

2. How to play MP4 file on computer?
You can install Quicktime or VLC player to play MP4 video files on your PC.

Troubleshooting

DVD subtitle(subpicture), language:
It is recommended to use the native DVD menu in the preview panel to set subtitle(subpicture) and language. (Click "DVD menu" button on the right to show native DVD menu in the preview panel) You may also change the subtitle(subpicture), language in the program's Options menu, but there are some DVDs that require the change must be made in the native DVD menu instead of the program's menu.

Video file does not show on PSP:
Make sure your video file name follows PSP's special convention. e.g. M4V12345.MP4. (You can change the "file number" in Output Settings dialog). Other file names are not recognized by PSP.

Ghosting Effect on PSP screen:
Ghosting visual effect is subjective. Some people are more sensitive to this visual effect, especially when the picture displayed is in dark scenes. This is because the refresh rate of a PSP LCD screen is lower than the rate of a normal PC monitor. When the PSP video is also in the low fps (15 frames per second), some people may see ghosting effect. In this case, try to convert PSP video using 29.97 fps settings (in the Option menu -> Output Settings) to reduce this effect.

Additional Settings

1. Video Settings

Video Frame Rate
Known as Frame Per Second (FPS). It refers to the number of pictures displayed in 1 second in order to form continuous motions. The default frame rate is 15 fps (14.985 actually). You may choose 30fps(29.97 actually) get more continuos motions. According to Sony PSP's specification, the hardware only supports the above two settings (14.985 and 29.97).

When selecting 30fps, increase the movie quality and size a little bit. This is because more frames need some amount of additional motion data to be stored.

Brightness Level
Increase the level to make video appear brighter on your PSP screen. The default is level 0 (No brightness change from the original video).

2. Audio Options

Audio Quality
There are 6 audio quality modes to choose: 32kbps Mono, 48kbps Mono, 48Kbps Stereo, 64Kbps Stereo, 96Kbps Stereo, 128Kbps Stereo.

Audio Bitrate (in Kbits per second)
Audio bitrate refers to how many data storage is allocated to store audio signals. The higher audio bitrate, the better audio quality.

Audio Volume
You can change output audio volume in "Output Settings" dialog. The default volume level is 5 (original volume).

Stereo to Mono
When the output audio is set to Mono, you can choose which stereo channel (of input source) to be copied into the Mono channel (output). It is useful for some video sources (e.g. VCD) which use the left, right channels for different languages or for karaoke.

krivia
March 14th, 2006, 14:07
Great tutorial, lifteri.
Would you tell me - can this software convert just a specified portion of the movie so I can test quickly what it would like on the PSP display before converting the whole movie?

lifteri
March 15th, 2006, 10:21
Would you tell me - can this software convert just a specified portion of the movie so I can test quickly what it would like on the PSP display before converting the whole movie?

Yes, it can. You can set start/stop time from Options->Set Start, Stop Times for Recording.

krivia
March 17th, 2006, 09:11
Yes, it can. You can set start/stop time from Options->Set Start, Stop Times for Recording.

10x, that's what i needed.

krivia
March 21st, 2006, 08:13
One other question - there is a movie that whenever I try to convert gives me an error saying that the file is opened by other program and can not be read (and it's not opened by other program). I've tried other programs too and it doesn't work with them either. Any ideas?

lifteri
March 24th, 2006, 08:02
One other question - there is a movie that whenever I try to convert gives me an error saying that the file is opened by other program and can not be read (and it's not opened by other program). I've tried other programs too and it doesn't work with them either. Any ideas?

Sorry, never had similar problem. Can this be some type of copy protection?

sugarpops
March 27th, 2006, 00:39
Excust newbiness but seems I have tried almost everything to view my converted video file (mp4) on my PSP version 1.5.

Where do I put the converted file? I don't see any folder for "Movies" when I hook up via USB cable.

I tried putting into different places...seems the amount of storage space on my stick has gone down but can't find the converted file anywhere???

Thanks for any help.

lifteri
March 27th, 2006, 08:36
Excust newbiness but seems I have tried almost everything to view my converted video file (mp4) on my PSP version 1.5.

Where do I put the converted file? I don't see any folder for "Movies" when I hook up via USB cable.

I tried putting into different places...seems the amount of storage space on my stick has gone down but can't find the converted file anywhere???

Thanks for any help.

Your converted file name must follow PSP's convention e.g. M4V12345.MP4.
The file number can be changed in Output Settings dialog. Other file names are not recognized by PSP.