PDA

View Full Version : advise for homebrew install

jpmac
March 17th, 2009, 22:37
hi all my first post so go easy !

first of all i have 3.3E with a d2ckey chip,
i read that you dont need to install homebrew with an sd card if yr wii has been chipped already and i can install with a dvd-r,
ive been to the homebrew free download site, but the info there doesnt show me a link for the 3.3E:confused: download? is there a certain one i should use?

can anyone be so kind as to help me find a link and some form of instructions to download it from the file to the disc, i have imgburn which burns my games and gives me no probs, it just im lost with this homebrew

anyhelp would go a long way thank

sean.aaron
March 18th, 2009, 13:28
You seem to have missed this note:

Using DVD

The DVD method requires a drivechip and won't work on 3.3 firmware update or newer. DVD images for 1.0 are currently unavailable, though you can install beta8 and then update.

So you either need to somehow downgrade your firmware (probably need the HBC to do that) or get yourself a copy of Twilight Princess and use the Hack.

jpmac
March 18th, 2009, 13:40
thanks for the reply fella,
i just persumed that having my wii chipped already would mean i wouldnt need a drive chip ??? im not to hot with all this tech stuff lol
i havent got and sd card and was trying install with disc before i laid out any cash, i was only trying to get homebrew as i could get sonic and the black knight to work and was told homebrew was the way to go

thanks again sean

sean.aaron
March 19th, 2009, 14:19
Well, your system chip probably is a drive chip, but your firmware is 3.3, which means that the update from DVD is going to be blocked by the firmware (that's how I read it). If you had 3.2 firmware you'd probably be fine.

Basically there is no HBC .iso for 3.3. I suppose you could try burning the one that is available for download, but I don't think that will work. You'd only be out a DVD, so what the heck?

But if you already have Twilight Princess then an SD card and a USB-attached SD card reader are really quite cheap.

It's not clear why you want the Homebrew Channel installed anyway -- doesn't your chip allow you to run import games? Or have you encountered a game that requires newer firmware and need a safe way to upgrade?