PDA

View Full Version : Xbox designer accuses Microsoft of homophobia

wraggster
March 24th, 2009, 19:46
An Xbox graphic designer who allegedly suffered abuse over his sexuality at work claimed Microsoft has a culture of homophobia, according to papers submitted to a tribunal.

Jamie Durrant, 38, who is homosexual, is suing Microsoft for £45,000 for "hurt feelings" because he says he was called by nicknames including '*** Boy Jim'.

Mr Durrant claims that mocking messages were circulated with headings including 'I'm Jim and I'm Gay', 'Me and My Favourite Men' and 'Ladies Are Bad'.

Mr Durrant earns £50,000-a-year designing video games for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

He claims that the firm did not have policies in place to deal with his complaints about homophobic harassment.

Mr Durrant, of Godalming, Surrey, is suing Microsoft at London South Employment Tribunal for discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation.

He has been signed off sick for depression for seven months and is demanding £45,000 in compensation for lost earnings and injury to feelings.

Last month, Microsoft banned a lesbian Xbox gamer who was being harassed by other players.

The gamer named Theresa suffered homophobic insults after identifying herself as a lesbian in her profile.

Microsoft suspended Theresa's account because her reference to her sexual orientation was considered "offensive" to the Xbox community.

Mr Durrant has been employed for 11 years in Guildford by Lionhead Studios, which was bought by Reading-based Microsoft two years ago.

In legal papers submitted to the tribunal, Mr Durrant claimed that the abusive emails were first sent in January last year.

He said: "I have never hidden my sexuality from the office and I felt this could be targeted at myself.

"This was not the first time there was homophobic content in the office.

"Previously, I had tried to deal with it myself. This time, I did not feel that I could."

Mr Durrant said he complained to human resources chiefs that there was a "homophobic attitude" within Microsoft.

He claimed he agreed with them not to raise a formal grievance for fear of creating an "uneasy atmosphere" in the office.

Instead, it was allegedly agreed that HR would email staff reminding them of "how to behave responsibly in a diverse office".

Mr Durrant said he expected the email to be sent within a fortnight but months went by without anything happening.

When he queried the delay, he says he was allegedly told that the firm would have to draw up new policies before any email could be sent.

He said: "I was very surprised that Microsoft did not have any policies relating to this sexual orientation harassment."

Mr Durrant claimed that he did not think HR chiefs were taking his complaint seriously.

He was allegedly asked to sign a document agreeing not to raise a formal grievance and confirming that he was happy his complaint was being dealt with.

He said that he refused but it was agreed that Microsoft would post its anti-discrimination policy on the firm's intranet for staff to see.

Mr Durrant has accused Microsoft HR chiefs of "blatantly disregarding" and "obstructing" his complaint.

He said he was offered counselling but said: "I feel like they're making out that I'm the one with the problem and not the homophobic aspects of the company."

He was signed off sick for depression in August last year and is still on half pay.

He said: "I feel I should be compensated for the stress that this whole complaint procedure has placed on me, the amount of effort and time I have put into trying to get this resolved and acknowledgment that they have done nothing whilst the homophobic harassment continued, making my workplace uncomfortable and unpleasant."

Microsoft denies discriminating on the ground of sexual orientation and is vigorously contesting Mr Durrant's claim.

A spokeswoman said: "Microsoft is unable to comment on pending litigation."

Microsoft said it had suspended the lesbian Xbox gamer's account because it does not permit "expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other" in profiles.

It invited players to report any inappropriate behaviour, adding: "Harassment of any kind is not condoned and is taken very seriously."

Mr Durrant's case is due to be heard later this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/5042225/Xbox-designer-accuses-Microsoft-of-homophobia.html

chanaz
March 25th, 2009, 00:19
Im gay, baaaaaaaw. Someone sent me a email harrassing me about it, baaaaaaaaw. Microsoft wont block the emails, baaaaaaaaw. Im sad because people are harrassing me, even though i can block them, baaaaaaaaaw. *sue sue sue*

royvedas
March 25th, 2009, 06:48
Yeah, stories like this makes you want to say:

"Shut up, ***. If you want to be treated like other people, then stop whining like a 3-year-old girl. It's a rough world, and many people have a rough form of humor. Probably this is the case at Microsoft. Join them, or leave the company if you are so f***ing sensible, ***boy. Be ***gy on your own time, dammit."

ketchup
March 25th, 2009, 08:24
^^^^ Two potential MS employees above me thinks! ;)

Stereotypical, oversensitivity!
But wow! only £45,000. You can tell it's suing UK style, if this was the USA it would be more like M$4.5

When off sick in the UK you don't tend to lose ANY earnings so I wonder what lost earnings he had, (especially with a valid medical certificate stating the condition - self certified sickness is a different matter and shows a very weak character and in that case tuff s#1t)?

As for hurt feelings, that's life for all of us at various times, get over it!