PDA

View Full Version : only 950mb on a 1g stick?

r2works
February 19th, 2006, 04:55
Is there any way possible to reformat or expand the pro duo to get more memory, if not the full amount? it's bullsh!t that i pay for a 1g stick and an entire 50mb is missing....

i wanna watch my movie! please help!

yaustar
February 19th, 2006, 05:19
950mb sounds right for a one gig stick, it just the why bit/bytes are with 'ratings' of drives. Ever noticed why any hard drive is missing a few gigs ;)

r2works
February 19th, 2006, 06:21
yah i figured i would be missing some memory, but 50mb? thats quite a bit, at least to me it is... oh well

Nono-O
February 19th, 2006, 12:54
Normal : 1GB = 1024MB
Firmen : 1GB = 1000MB

i have 2 GB = 1950MB

ultros
February 19th, 2006, 14:13
the interesting question is not, why it is this way (wrong counting, 1K=1024, etc.), but if this is legally correct.

bill00000
February 19th, 2006, 15:38
the interesting question is not, why it is this way (wrong counting, 1K=1024, etc.), but if this is legally correct.

If it's not, every company that ever made a hard drive, or any kind of flash storage is going down!

charltonheston
February 21st, 2006, 01:50
Everything is quite legal and above board. There is no real loss of memory (just used memory) and your memory card is exactly as big as it says on the box. Unfortunately the file allocation table used for addressing data held on the memory stick takes up some of the room meaning that you have less storage space. Worse thing is that when the firmware update come along which enables the psp to have larger file management than 4 gb i.e. FAT32 or NTFS, the space lost is going to be a bit bigger. :(

Sorry for the bad news dudes. By the way does anyone know if there's anyway to access the death star level in Battlefront II on the psp - the level files are there but I can't get the damned thing working. Anyway R2WORKS sorry for posing a question on your topic but hopefully I've shone some light on a grey area. :)

Jdemon
February 21st, 2006, 05:05
Hey R2works you're doing better than me I've only got 947MB on both of my Sandisk "1.0 GB" cards. Mine are formated FAT32 though, not sure if that makes a difference. What are you converting the movie with? Just reduce the sound quality a little and you should squeeze it down to 950.

@charltonheston you're shameless :D
I've tried replacing the dea1 with every loadable level without success.
Corassant (is that how you spell it?) will load for Tantive IV but is unplayable as there are no existing command posts.
I haven't had the time to try the other 5 extra levels yet.

charltonheston
February 21st, 2006, 19:43
:) Yep I'm totally shameless but really need to play on the death star level on my psp - why they didn't allow it to be updateable with download packs is beyond me - that just has so much potential yet is only used in about 3 or 4 games - sheesh :)

Anyway to justify my non relevant (to this post) rant - your extra loss of memory is probably to do with having FAT32 as opposed to simple FAT formatting as this can make a difference.

Top work anyway Jdemon - may the force be with you, always!

masta_g_86
February 25th, 2006, 09:28
:) Yep I'm totally shameless but really need to play on the death star level on my psp - why they didn't allow it to be updateable with download packs is beyond me - that just has so much potential yet is only used in about 3 or 4 games - sheesh :)

Anyway to justify my non relevant (to this post) rant - your extra loss of memory is probably to do with having FAT32 as opposed to simple FAT formatting as this can make a difference.

Top work anyway Jdemon - may the force be with you, always!

FAT32 SAVES mem stick space as opposed to FAT.(FAT16; FAT12 if by PSP)

Do some research before you rant -- seriously.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19078

charltonheston
February 27th, 2006, 19:23
Hi there masta g 86 thanks for your comments on my post, although I thought it was a bit shameless to promote one of your threads on someone elses question (you wouldn't catch me doing something like that ;) ). To be serious though mate what you are talking about and what is being talked about in this topic are two different things. I concur with your thoughts about doing reseach before you rant but it is equally as important to read what you are replying to. Just in case you are still in the dark about what I am talking about - my replies in this thread have been pertaining to the size of the file which keeps the memory addresses and not to the way that FAT32 partitions your memory thus reducing wasted storage space. I read your topic and found it to be quite good, by the way do you know how to unlock the death star level on Battlefront II - if you do please let me know as I'm dying to play on that level. :)

masta_g_86
February 28th, 2006, 02:52
Hi there masta g 86 thanks for your comments on my post, although I thought it was a bit shameless to promote one of your threads on someone elses question (you wouldn't catch me doing something like that ;) ). To be serious though mate what you are talking about and what is being talked about in this topic are two different things. I concur with your thoughts about doing reseach before you rant but it is equally as important to read what you are replying to. Just in case you are still in the dark about what I am talking about - my replies in this thread have been pertaining to the size of the file which keeps the memory addresses and not to the way that FAT32 partitions your memory thus reducing wasted storage space. I read your topic and found it to be quite good, by the way do you know how to unlock the death star level on Battlefront II - if you do please let me know as I'm dying to play on that level. :)

Sorry, posted wrong link. Meant to provide a link to something much more relavent.

Anyway, you ARE correct in saying that a portion of the filesystem(Master Boot Record or MBR for short) takes up space on the mem stick. However, it doesn't swallow up all 50MB.

A problem exists in the conversion process...

1KB = 1024bytes(not 1000bytes)
1MB = 1024KB
1GB = 1024MB
etc...

When you convert 947MB(the free space on an empty 1GB mem stick) to bytes, you wind up with something really close to 1,000,000,000bytes. Factor in the MBR and you're really damn close.

It seems it was a marketing concept long ago that is the heart of this problem. Use free space in bytes and mark it by the nearest metric,(power of 10) even though binary metrics are 2 to the power of 10(1024).

Definitely overly complicated for something that SHOULD be so simple.

Bah. This is the answer I wanted to give. About the Battlefront 2 thing, I don't own the game(yet) but checked around online for you. Seems no one has figured it out yet, or at least hasn't documented it online yet.