PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason For Sony To Kill Off Homebrew

wraggster
February 23rd, 2006, 02:16
Well it seems a new iso loader has been released that will do major damage to our Homebrew scene and give Sony the excuse they need to clamp down further on our scene.

Playing GTA on a v1.5 is a great moment but why not have it so that the original UMD must always be in the slot, Sony will no doubt see this as another great excuse to bring new Homebrew killing firmwares out.

Remember that the easiest way to kill an existing console off is to pirate off it, and not only that but alot of coders dont want their names anywhere near warez.

We salute MPH for his downgrader but this release we dont.

DPyro
February 23rd, 2006, 02:34
You know there are people like me, who own the games legit but have been waiting for a program like this so we can play them on our 1.5's. I have Socom which I played on 2.00 for a bit, but there are other homebrew which I like that required 1.50 (iR Remote anyone?) so I downgraded back to 1.50 to use them. Now I can finally have my cake and eat it too :)

CoderX
February 23rd, 2006, 02:38
I dont think it matters, sony is just going to mod the new games again.
Trust me it not going to have a large impact on homebrew, becouse it only runs on 1.5.

and is mostly useless as a demo.

Personal im looking for a stand alone that has umd support

not a iso loader

MPH, Please Destroy your project.

And continue work on the fw emulator.
UMD game support is what we need, not piricy

babu
February 23rd, 2006, 02:46
A great day for ppl who owned the gta umd but didn't wanna upgrade more then 2.0, Sony has already made plans for 3.0 fw even b4 this was released, so... i don't know why ppl are complaining :p

grieverxiii
February 23rd, 2006, 02:50
The release of a new iso loader is a blessing for some, a curse for others. On the one hand you have the "others" who will be pissed as hell because Sony's obviously going to pull something out of its a$$ after they find out about this. On the other, the pirates are rejoicing that, once again, they don't have to pay to play (I know there are some who actually own the UMDs they have isos of but, come on, realistically that's like 1% of the people who use loaders)

But I don't know if this really affects things so much because it's not like they managed to get this thing working on 2.00+ Sony will just have the next games require 3.0 or something and they did already have a new firmware planned before this thing was even announced. ATM that's really not that different from what's been happening (stay with x.xx for homebrew or upgrade for the latest games...same thing as before)

siulmagic
February 23rd, 2006, 02:51
umd loader would have been better

misterp22
February 23rd, 2006, 03:14
personally i think this is great news, i dont see why ppl see it as such a bad thing. there are still games getting released for GBA but i dont see anyone complaining about the GBA emulator thats cos im sure u ppl who have GBA roms aint got the original game, im sure this pleases alot of psp users. plus like someone said it wont be long befor they release games thar require version 3.0

YourStillWithMe
February 23rd, 2006, 03:15
I agree with Babu to some extent. I mean we all knew 3.00 or something was bound to come out soon. On the other hand I do agree with the fact that piracy should be stopped. I'm not even going to lie i prated dead to rights, lumines, and coded arms mostly for a bit but then i realized that what i was doing was destroying the fact that I couldnt play such cool emus on the newer firmwares with all the games. However, this release is amazing because now all those 2.01+ games i can now run with no problems so i will go run out and buy Fight Night Round 3

Thank you and at the same time damnit!

Ziim
February 23rd, 2006, 03:22
Yup this is Fantastic!!! I bought GTA:LCS the day it came out and have played no more than 4 hours... Not because its a bad game, but because 1.5 rules. Now finally I can do Both.

Festizzio
February 23rd, 2006, 04:01
Wait wait wait!! GTA works on 1.5??? What did I miss?? :confused:

felonyr301
February 23rd, 2006, 04:09
you didnt miss anything now move along nothing to see here and get back to your illegal games you ba$tard!

jwilds73
February 23rd, 2006, 04:12
This is great news for me I own GTA and it is still in the wrapper. Now I can take it out and play it without having to upgrade. As it stands now I won't upgrade beyond 2.0 and am currently happy to stay with 1.5 for ease of use. The only question I have is do I have to rip the umd or will the program allow me to run it from the umd on my 1.50? As I do not want to fill my card up with the umd game and instead keep my other emu stuff there.

gotmilk0112
February 23rd, 2006, 04:12
WTTFF

well, as my bud IndianCheese 's sig says:
"1 out of 6 PSP owners bought Untold Legends...and the other 5 Illegially downloaded it....STOP UMD PIRACY"

Kaiser
February 23rd, 2006, 04:48
Shit....not another loader :( :mad:

The fact you can play GTA on this is overshadowed by the ability it can play ISO's. This is terrible.

MPH please make it a stand alone UMD loader not an ISO loader.

DPyro
February 23rd, 2006, 04:49
Does anyone have better instructions on how to use this? I successfully decrypted Socom prx files (rename kmodule KMOD, and module MOD) but it doesnt load up? I've heard instant action works in socom so whats up :confused:

IndianCheese
February 23rd, 2006, 04:51
Uh, what?

danknugz
February 23rd, 2006, 04:52
i am really exited about this, because field commander is coming out very soon and im totally going to buy it, but now i wont have to upgrade to play it! not everything is about piracy...

Festizzio
February 23rd, 2006, 04:53
you didnt miss anything now move along nothing to see here and get back to your illegal games you ba$tard!
Uhh...excuse me?? I DO NOT pirate games, I have never once used an ISO, and I never plan to. It's illegal, and even if it wasn't, all I have is a 256 MB stick, which is used for more important things like PSPRadio and PMP mod. Also, what in the WORLD gives you the right to assume such a thing?? Just...go home, or something, I feel like my effort is wasted on you.

IndianCheese
February 23rd, 2006, 04:57
Holy freaking crap. I may get banned for this, but...THANK YOU!!! Now I can have homebrew again with the downgrader, play GTA with the loader, and surf the web with Sony's web browser with the firmware launcher...everything I do on my PSP, and would you believe it, ALL BECAUSE OF ONE GUY!

AtariFreek
February 23rd, 2006, 05:14
MPH, This Is Good, But bad. The Scene Is Going Dowwwwnnnn. Stupid ISo Loaders........PoopyChumble.........Sony Is Going To FREAK About This. *Sigh* Oh Well, Atleast You Can Play GTA On 1.5, But On The Other Hand WHO F****NG CARES??????? Ok Calm Down.....*Eats Humble Pie*

F9zDark
February 23rd, 2006, 05:23
We can't control who does what with their knowledge. Nor can we control what people do with the homebrew programs that are available. We can selectively curb any information pertaining to ISO loading on this site alone, but no one can control who does what and how.

I don't care what anyone says, if I buy a piece of software that is put on a medium that can be destroyed by a piece of rough fabric, then I have every right to backup that software and use the backup copy if the original should fail.

I, however, DO NOT have the right to share that with anyone else. The sooner Sony and everyone else realizes that people have the right to backup software that they pay good money for then we can get rid of this taboo on ISO loading and UMD backups.

mexicansnake
February 23rd, 2006, 05:28
Mph Is Good And Bad, Wtf!!! The Other Things Are Great But This One Is Crap!! Shit That Is Another Reason For Sony To Kill Homebrew!!!!.

planetusa
February 23rd, 2006, 05:36
.....this is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Michael

Killing2Live
February 23rd, 2006, 05:45
I love it, I love it all, Keep this shit up MPH next up is SOCOM baby!

Xarius
February 23rd, 2006, 05:45
Just curious. Does this work with all 2.0+ games or just GTA?

bibipili
February 23rd, 2006, 05:56
I totally support mph beacause I own an Import of katamari and Megaman x , but Im on 1.5 and this loader lets me play them so just be quiet.
Just because tou don't like it doesn't mean you have to talk bad abut them ***s!

you know what ban me!!!

syrusch
February 23rd, 2006, 06:05
Good stuff for me i think. I have my own GTA and be waiting for playin. And that day as come ...

Not all guys are pirates ! So stop spamming and you hypocrisy. Snes roms are illegal too.

Illegal Machine
February 23rd, 2006, 06:05
this is awesome.

another iso loader, Gotta love that. And a lot of you people are forgetting that just because it looks like every psp user is a pirate, because it happens on the net a LOT doenst mean that all psp users are pirating. I estimate the percentage of homebrew users, and iso loader users to be less than 10% of the overall population, with only 25% even being aware of any kind of mods softr=ware or otherwise.

so I wouldnt freak about it. Sony is gonna continue to upgrade the firmware, and this is just gonna go on and on and on

yay MPH rules!!!!

Insane1
February 23rd, 2006, 06:14
Personally, I'm not upset about this at all. As far as I know, Sony doesn't give a crap what actually happens on the homebrew scene. They won't see this as a reason to hit homebrew harder, They won't even blink if they even DO see this. They'll simply go about their buisness blocking all unofficial software for the PSP as they've BEEN doing. They're gonna hit it at the same rate. They probably don't even pay attention to what goes on here aside from learning when new exploits are found. Homebrew in general is a threat to profit in their eyes and nothing will make them think better or worse of it.

pspfan
February 23rd, 2006, 06:22
OK. I, too wish this was a UMD loader, not an ISO loader, so that pirates couldn't load GTA, but we can't always get what we want, and this is pretty close. I own GTA and play it a lot and I can play a lot of other cool homebrew, too. BUT there is also a lot of cool homebrew I can't play since I'm on 2.0 to play GTA. Look at this list:

Ad Hoc SMS Plus
DJSP
File Assistant ++
Fired Up Browser
JPEG Viewer
Multiplayer Quake
PMP
Portable VNC
PSP Calculator
PSP Set
PSPWeather
PSP-OSS
PSPPDA
Quake
SmashGPSP
Solitaire
TedZero Browser
Universal Remote

I would love to be able to play all these homebrew, all the homebrew I have now on 2.0, AND GTA all on the same PSP firmware. Now I can. Sure pirates will abuse this, but pirates have been abusing all games before the 2.0 games came out that were unplayable via ISO loaders.

I hope in reading this, you see that I am against piracy, but I think this is great, even though it would be better if MPH made a UMD loader instead. Now I can play all homebrew + GTA with no constant upgrades and downgrades.

kaoss-b
February 23rd, 2006, 06:31
I think somewhat is good.
I was hopping this, I loved fw1.5 and GTA:LCS is great, I owned it since it came out. But I don't like the idea of an ISO of GTA, or any game, too much space required for ISOs. It would be great if it worked with the original UMD and not an ISO

kurst3030
February 23rd, 2006, 06:39
well..i don't support isos..but I like that someone is trying to get 2.0+ games to work on 1.5. Now I tried using this with Megaman X and I can't get to work..I mean..it's very hard to dump the flash0 and flash1 files of 2.5, and I don't think this was made for 2.5 games anyway lol. I don't have GTA but even if I did, this is a little complicated...

mexicansnake
February 23rd, 2006, 06:55
Well it's awsome but only using the orignial UMD

Wally
February 23rd, 2006, 07:24
I agree with what everyone is saying..

Technically MPH should back off and let someone like Team emergency Exit take the project into hand.

If MPH was to consider it UMD supported instead of ISO supported then they arent breaking any rules

but again they are doing it wrong and are killing the homebrew scene.

So for once MPH become bloody idiots and will be considered bloody idiots until they remove ISO support.

over and out

Wally

YourStillWithMe
February 23rd, 2006, 07:32
GTA for one thing will not lose sales because on the 2.01+ versions you need GTA to launch the homebrew so umm this can be looked upon as a good and bad thing at the same time. You guys waste your time complaining and your not changing ANYONE's opinion. No offence but everyone has there own ideas/thoughts built into there brain and no one cares. Think what you think and stop protesting something that is a cycle and will just keep coming up again in the future. . .

self0
February 23rd, 2006, 07:39
Mph Is Good And Bad, Wtf!!! The Other Things Are Great But This One Is Crap!! Shit That Is Another Reason For Sony To Kill Homebrew!!!!.

so you think sony is going to permit someday homebrew in the psp? yeah right...

this is very nice news :D good work mph
/me donate

michael jackson
February 23rd, 2006, 08:28
damnit! why is everyone so obcessed with freaking gta?

who gives a shit go play it on xbox jesus, its not like it compares to any other psp games and god knows things like snes9x and genesis are worth putting time and effort into

ive planned to buy a white psp gigapack and gta wasnt on my budget

i cant stand how so many coders have went gay for gta and almost completely given up on 1.5-2.0 trying to get gta working

phooey screw gta give me a way to play megaman x hunters and il kiss you >.> (not gay)

urherenow
February 23rd, 2006, 08:48
I hate to join in on a heated argument but a couple of people have made valid points that others seem to be ignorant of. How many of you people CRYING about the ISO support have one or all of the above on your memory cards? --> NES, SNES, GENISIS, C64, etc...

I hate to burst your bubble but if you just raised your hand (yes, mine is raised, thank you) then shut the hell up! You're every bit as illegal/bad as people using ISOs.

<Forest Gump accent> and that's all I have to say about that </Forest Gump accent>

donut.boy
February 23rd, 2006, 08:49
Please, pirating never killed anything. Artist still go 10x platinum, video games still sell out the roof and movies are grossing more money than ever. Don't even say pirating killed the dreamcast, blame it on sega's poor marketing schemes. Homebrew fully works on 1.5 and mostly on 2.0, sony can't do nothing about so it, so i stay the scene is stronger than ever. Do yall think sony wants everybody to run homebrew? C'mon, they like homebrew just as much as they like people downloading isos. If Sony was so pro-homebrew, they wouldn't had updated their firmware's to stop homebrew on 1.5/2.0 in the first place which means that homebrew would be working on 2.6 but it doesn't. This is truly a great day in the psp scene, things that people said never can be done, is getting done! Think of all the possibilities in the future, the light is shining bright once again. Thank you MPH!

dOOmy
February 23rd, 2006, 09:21
Due to sonys shoddy workmanship my psp wont even play when a umd is inserted so i cant play legal games at all. God only knows how much i would have to pay to be able to have my psp be able to play retail games.

Bluecat
February 23rd, 2006, 10:05
I own 7 games on UMD, I also have over 100 games in ISO format like many people here. My 2 reasons for using these ISO's without moral issues are as follows:

Firstly, when running off a 2gb stick (rather than the 4gb drive which I've just sold) they run incredibly faster than their UMD counterparts. Not just slightly faster, a whole lot faster.

Secondly - IMHO the majority of games for the PSP are pretty weak. I will try a game first, then go out and buy it. In case you were wondering, yes I only feel the need to own 7 out of the many I have tried, one of which is GTA.

I applaud MPH's work - the idea of restricting it to being solely a UMD loader is lunacy.

japanitrat
February 23rd, 2006, 10:25
man... i do NOT want to know how much money sony is grabbing with it's fckng game console. i do NOT want to know how much money they grab with music. i just do NOT want to know, how much money they grab with all the other business branches. dont you see, that sony is EVIL?
piracy is as normal as evolution and bytes just dont have a value, cause they can be reproduced a billion times.
you people should think twice about the situation of mankind before helping sony to prey upon the poor more further.
i mean, if you want to stop piracy, then start thinking about a new licensing system or whatever, but STOP helping them to gain more power.

i mean, why the heck do you think sony is abandoning homebrew only for piracy? there are thousands of other (material) reasons to disallow (unlicensed) developing on there systems....

slayer2psp
February 23rd, 2006, 10:40
this is awsome the best program yet for the psp you have to have a little skill to figure it all out so most people will never use it anyways other games also work with it

slayer2psp
February 23rd, 2006, 10:45
I agree with what everyone is saying..

Technically MPH should back off and let someone like Team emergency Exit take the project into hand.

If MPH was to consider it UMD supported instead of ISO supported then they arent breaking any rules

So for once MPH become bloody idiots and will be considered bloody idiots until they remove ISO support.

over and out

Wally
they arent idiots this guy is a coding god i hope he keeps making stuff like this by the way it stops after ten mins sure there is fix for it but it didnt come from mph

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 10:53
sony had to lay off thousands of jobs just before christmas because other departments WERENT making money, only the ps2 was making a profit for them!

i only use the iso loaders so i can test the games out e.g i'm glad i tested out pro evo 5 because on the game.uk.com website it says that it has the master league on it but when i tested it, it doesnt have the master league so i have saved myself wasting Ģ35 there. i own 7legal games and i'm going to be ordering 2 more tomorrow when i get paid.

S41N7
February 23rd, 2006, 11:10
this is a great development. However, I do agree that it would have been good to load the UMD (but maybe in addition to iso's)

And the NDS is rife with piracy so was the GBA. However they are still doing the business, and doing it well.

nexus one
February 23rd, 2006, 11:13
It has to work off the ISO, as files seem to have to be edited. You can't do that with a UMD.

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 11:18
so how much space is this going to take up on my memory stick doing this then?

Sauron96
February 23rd, 2006, 11:33
Some extra space now much...

More than just GTA works with this, including that MEgaman game from what I've read...

It seems the PSP gets so much publicty for it's piracy but as anothe person said the GBA and NDS have it too...along with just about every system that's ever existed...

T-2000
February 23rd, 2006, 11:37
whats the actual name ( version ) cause i see a few knocking around...

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 11:54
yeah i was looking in the psphacking101.com forums and apparently someones cracked it so that it runs for longer than 10mins.

babu
February 23rd, 2006, 12:01
sony had to lay off thousands of jobs just before christmas because other departments WERENT making money, only the ps2 was making a profit for them!

i only use the iso loaders so i can test the games out e.g i'm glad i tested out pro evo 5 because on the game.uk.com website it says that it has the master league on it but when i tested it, it doesnt have the master league so i have saved myself wasting Ģ35 there. i own 7legal games and i'm going to be ordering 2 more tomorrow when i get paid.

ps2 can be modded to run any iso, hell you don't even have to worry about firmware updates, so if this is the most profitable branch of sony atm then piracy doesn't hurt sony it only makes it more successfull(otherwise ps2 would be at bottom when considering profit). So the same argument can be used with psp, due to sony's continous firmware updates it going to shoot itself in the foot not iso. :O

PS. i don't do piracy i just test, that just a lame excuse. :cool:

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 12:34
testing them aint lame, just saves me money on renting the games. if i'd gone out and bought half the games i wanted to without testing i'd be very very very pissed off because a lot of them are just cut down versions which it doesnt say in the descriptions for the game when there selling it!

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 12:41
if the iso loader wasnt around then i doubt that sony would be doing the updates as much because i dont think they give a shit about the homebrew scene or snes/megadrive emu's. they'd only do them to add more feature's like the web browser and the rss etc.

i'm not too bothered about the iso loaders because i wont have them on my psp from the middle of next week anyway because i'm getting fight night round 3 which needs 2.6 on it.

japanitrat
February 23rd, 2006, 13:06

yaeh cause upper bosses want to earn as much money as before.

and much more

CoderX
February 23rd, 2006, 13:07
YOur all parnoid

super_hoops1967
February 23rd, 2006, 13:30
well i hope they do the firmware upgrading on the ps3 aswell.

michael jackson
February 23rd, 2006, 14:56
lol i hate to admit i have a hdd from final fantasy xi and i just installed a memory card version of hdadvance, pop in my action replay, boot it via the mediaplauyer and my trusty usb stick and bam, isos

also my local and ONLY rental place has squat in games so i discovered winhiip ... you dont even need an original ps2 disc anymore, just an empty hdd slot on your pc, and some knowledge

tho i dont use it often, and loading hdadvance with usb ar evo cheat device is tedious, its pretty cool for testing games when you cant rent em , i dont have anything on it as of now but i thought it was interesting to post, with this method the only thing youd need to buy is a hdd (winhiip can convert any hdd to work with ps2 as long as its 40gb +) and action replay max evo .. the rest is all free

but i dont pirate i do just test games because id have to go to gamestop 30 m,iles away to buy any good games that my crappy rental store wouldnt have

F9zDark
February 23rd, 2006, 15:07
For all the whiners out there, here is a proposed solution:

1)The program has built into a UMD ripper, which NEEDS to be executed to play the GTA ISO.
2)After all that jive and editing the ISO like MPH says, its good to go.
3)Before executing the ISO on a 1.5 the GTA UMD MUST be inserted to play the loaded ISO.

Would that be a good solution? Would that get you all to stop crying about how bad ISOs are?

Edit:

if the iso loader wasnt around then i doubt that sony would be doing the updates as much

That is outright BS. The instant the exploit was discovered to allow homebrew, way before there existed ISO loaders, Sony threw the water on that fire. I have been part of the scene since its infancy; Sony has been persistent at getting rid of homebrew, even before ISO loaders existed.

Tetsuo
February 23rd, 2006, 15:31
Iso loader rules and it wont kill the scene.

Madonion
February 23rd, 2006, 15:47
You guys forget in order to play Iso's, you need to buy a bigger memory stick so sony is profeting loads on the memory sticks thx to Iso's loaders. The main reason i like to play a iso is cause i can put the cpu at 333mhz cause most games are so damn slow like midnight club!!!!!!!!! Put it on 333mhz and were good to go! :D

Thx Mph your the man! and some of you must see the documentary called piracy is good ;).
For the idiots who cant read he is gona take the bug that makes gta only run for 10mins out in next weeks release.

Voltron
February 23rd, 2006, 15:49
I understand this is a sensitive subject and I love the PSP. I personally own 22 legal UMD games with 5 or 6 on my wish list for the near future. I also own the GTA UMD. The homebrew scene has evolved so much that it is one of the best reasons to own a PSP.

I am not against this release from <a href="http://mphwebsite.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=0">MPH</a> because I believe in making the 1.5 firmware capable of just about anything. I am no expert but I don't think Sony is taking too much of a hit from us homebrew junkies. I actually strongly believe that the homebrew scene is helping Sony and its PSP. Like I said, I own 22 UMD games, a couple UMD movies, a Sony brand 1GB memory stick, and the Sony brand "Stamina" battery. Moreover, in the near future I plan on getting a 2GB memory stick pro duo, and ANOTHER "Stamina" battery, to go with a 2ND PSP. The only reason for this is because of the great homebrew scene. ISO Loaders and all because eventually I'll try to convert some of the slow loading UMD games I LEGALLY own into ISO's to run on the EXPENSIVE 2GB memory stick.

With all that said, the point is, I am just ONE PSP owner out of the millions worldwide. And if ONE PSP owner is investing so much in 2 PSP's with all the expensive SONY branded accessories to take full advantage of homebrew, then seriously, Sony is raking in more $$$. The PSP is actually growing stronger with age and not being killed by piracy and homebrew.

Sure, Pirated ISO's are illegal. But if you own the UMD game, you are within your fair use rights to back it up into ISO form for better performance or as a back up in case original breaks.

SO I'll just come out and say that I support the work of MPH for keeping 1.5 firmware alive and thriving. If you only have ILLEGAL intentions for using his work then DOOM ON YOU!

LazerTag
February 23rd, 2006, 17:08
Well I'm heading out today to buy GTA:LCS. Rockstar, Sony, and the BestBuy I happen to go to can thank MPH for the purchase I make. ;)

donut.boy
February 23rd, 2006, 17:44

Listen man, the only way right now to play 2.0 games on 1.5 is only by ISO. You have the decrypt the prx files for it to work and you can't do that with a UMD. How in the hell is it killing the homebrew scene? This will have no effect on the homebrew scene at all. Everyone acts like sony likes or doesn't really care about the homebrew scene but if that was true, they wouldn't update their firmwares so homebrew wouldn't work on 2.01+ . You guys think sont wants people to run homebrew of their psps? Sony doesn't make money off any homebrew, and when that's the case, it's bad for them.

zurt
February 23rd, 2006, 18:08
I completely agree with Voltron, lot of people say Sony loses money selling PSP's but nobody talks about the accessories that people running homebrew and ISOs buy: 1 or 2 GB memory sticks, batteries, cases,...

If people can run ISOs from PSP (legally, or ilegally, that's not my trouble) more and more people will get it, and more and more people will expend lots of money on accessories and games.

In the other hand, I'm sure that people telling MPH things like:
-MPH, Please Destroy your project.
-Mph Is Good And Bad, Wtf!!! The Other Things Are Great But This One Is Crap!!

is the same that put their hands on their head when people criticized PSIX software. If you don't like MPHs software, don't use it, nobody is telling you must, so let people do whatever they want, don't be repressive, don't try to control the world, sadly we have politicians for that question...

This is not just piracy against legallity, it is also a question of freedom. Let people live their lifes, we have more than enough with already existing laws...

Piracy never killed homebrew, industry did, and so is doing Sony again, everytime they put a new firmware on the market.

aries2k4
February 23rd, 2006, 18:16
I donīt think this will make sony blink. I personally think itīs good thing. If you Buy gta but want to keep fw 1.5, isnīt this good? Like Donut-boy said, Sony makes no money from homebrew so why would they want it running on their consoles. New firmware with more protections was coming out before this loader. You canīt run isos with the e-boot loader with the gta exploit but how long do you think sony is going to let that go on before some patch comes out? Did Sony ever support homebrew for any console?

Nono-O
February 23rd, 2006, 21:19
yehr that is good!!!
but when you made that the game load form
UMD:\
and from
MS0:\XXX\PRX2_0_0\.....
850MB for the GTA.iso is to big =( that is better when only the PRX2_0_0 from men.stick load and the another data from UMD

sry for my vad english =)

Wally
February 23rd, 2006, 22:57
they arent idiots this guy is a coding god i hope he keeps making stuff like this by the way it stops after ten mins sure there is fix for it but it didnt come from mph

I suppose :)

Many pirates cant afford the original disk (thats their excuse and its quite lame too) So why even have a PSP and a 2 gigabyte memorystick then?

f9zDark: Good solution.

As for other people saying ISO loaders rule and it wont kill the scene. No it wont kill the scene but it WILL kill the UMD Game market.

Just remember that Making a program involves a lot of work and money.
Let me show you. Let me put Ubisoft in this example
All prices are estimates

1) Ubisofts name had to be bought as a company name ($10,000)
2) The company has to get a contract from sony including official SDK to compile the stuff ($100,000)
3) Ubisoft would have had to hire about 20 programmers, graphic designers, animators etc etc. ($30,000 per week) lets say they take 10 weeks at making a game so thats ($300,000)
4) They then would have to ship it off to stores worldwide ($10,000 easily) (Including UMDS, Cases, Manuals, etc)

Roughly that totals up to $450,000 and they make approx $70AU a disk

If say 100 people bought the game they would get $7000 and therefore if the game doesnt sell and pirates come in. The company doesnt make any games. So this is where sony comes in to protect these developers therefore making it harder for pirates who are making it harder for those who wish to emulate older systems.

As for my last post. It was a rather quick post as i was heading out the door.

Also when someone mentioned emulators are used for piracy well you are kinda right but emulators dont run new games and the roms nobody cares about otherwise the sites hosting them would have been pulled to pieces by now. I suppose it could be classed as abandonware.

b8a
February 23rd, 2006, 23:03
I think it's funny that so many of you think that the only victim in UMD piracy is Sony. I don't know all the details, but it only makes sense that they would only see a small percentage of each disk sold. You're screwing the actual makers of the game the most when you refuse to buy a quality game, because they're the ones that see the lion share of the profit. I know there are people employed at game development firms on this board... Why aren't you guys jumping in about the effect this has on your pocket book?

I've personally been very disappointed by the selection of games available so far, and wouldn't have bought any much less downloaded them. On one hand, I think it's great that people will play a pirate version instead of buying a second-rate game because, to a certain degree, it sends the message that game makers need to try harder and that they don't deserve our money just because they say so. On the other hand, though, if a game is even semi-decent, or you play it for more than just a few settings, you need to go out and buy that game so that that game maker has the resources to continue developing better games for the future. You can't whine about the avalibility, or lack of availability, of good games if you're not willing to financially back the companies potentially bringing them to you.

I, for one, am happy about this new loader because I bought my PSP partly because of games like Ys that haven't even been released yet. I also bought my PSP because of homebrew, entirely unaware that Sony would ever try and force upgrades to play games. Without this loader (or some similar methoud), I am forced to make the decision to stick with homebrew (with it's limitless future potential) or upgrade just to play the newest games that I'd probably beat in less than a week (and then, at some point games would stop coming out and my PSP would become useless). Now I don't have to make that decision and am very happy that I can support good games as they come out.

satoshi
February 23rd, 2006, 23:49
Come on, 2.0 doesn't load any ISO Loader and Sony released 2.01/2.5/2.6

2.0 you can downgrade, but 2.01 you can't.

Sterist
February 24th, 2006, 00:12
why the hell are yall freakin out lol its just another one for 1.50..... im sure sony, or any other publisher, wouldnt find this as any more of a threat than before, simply because there are none for 2.00+

EnderPSP
February 24th, 2006, 01:36
OK, let's make this very simple: Sony isn't going to go broke even if PSP is a complete failure. If you don't see this, you're a complete moron, and have no ideea who Sony Entertainment is.
Now, the real money don't come from the consoles but from selling the games; actually the console is cheaper than its manufacture costs, 'cause Sony figured out they'd make the money from game sales. So saying pirating is healthy is simply not true. Sony gets revenues from each game sold, so this is where the money really come for them.
Each manufacturer tries to protect its product (mainly from piracy), so it's only normal that Sony will continue to make 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 3.1, 3.50, 4, 5, 6, 7.00 firmware upgrades (or whatever necessary) to protect their investment.
But saying that mph's launcher will affect the scene is just plain dumb. Same thing does the downgrader. It comes to me a scene from Farscape the Peacekeeper Wars: John creates what all his enemies and friends asked him to do the entire series... and when he does, and they realize it's not what they expected, they said "why?"... YOU asked for the downgrader, YOU asked for this launcher. MPH is a great coder, he did a lot for many of you, and nothing illegally against SONY. This is exactly why the PSP scene is dieing, a lot of morons, and a lot of ISO leechers. Many coders are slowly getting enough bullshit from ppl that just aren't sattisfied... Can't you make it red, bigger, and with a hamburger on top?... Wtf...
Sincerely, real damage is done from loading pirated iso's (without buying the games liked). But it's a free world, and we SHOULD have alternatives. I personally cheer this comes out, the only thing I fear is the bunch of morons that bend in the wind, advertising whatever "some guru" said (like this launcher is bad), instead of using their brains (yeah, what brains...) and see what this really is. Many $$ for games that are crappy and dont deserve 5$... Haven't you learned anything from the (dieing) gaming scene? "We do not suport piracy. If you like the game buy it". Makes a lot of sense to me...

If this post is too long for you and you already have a headache, too bad. Many people don't wanna hear the truth or simply can't see or understand it. Not 1% (one percent) of you can do what he did, though you have oppinions.

The PSP scene will slowly die if morons continue to complain, leech isos and not buy (at least the favourite game). Many good coders had enough and left the PSP scene. Are you really that narrow? Can't you see that if there is noone to make your day(s) creating a downgrader or an emulator or a homebrew (/game), you'll really have to only play the created games which some are totally crap? It's good to have alternatives instead of just eating McDonalds, KFC and Burger King... GET IT?

shadow77
February 24th, 2006, 01:52
Respect to MPH, you've done what many people said was impossible.

The fact is Sony does not want homebrew on its console, regardless of iso loaders. This loader won't hurt them or developers at all because barely any PSP owners have a 1.5 (I'd say less than 10%).

The GTA exploit has NO WAY of running an iso loader and look they tried to stop it by changing the syscalls in 2.6, no doubt they will patch it for good in firmware 3.0.

Hidavi
February 24th, 2006, 04:57
yeah, I would hate to see the PSP stabbed to death by bootlegging ala Dreamcast. I paid for my 25 PSP games.

J sims
February 24th, 2006, 05:22
Here is why I belive that sony makes the upgades in no particular order of importance.

1)The first reason is obvious to most people. If Sony can upgrade their product then that means that they can add features that will make their psp more attractive to consumers. eg web browser

2) They can also add features that will make it easier for developers to make games. this amounts to better games and, more profit because more people will buy them.

3) The firmware upgrades may help to against piracy via umd loader. I seriously doupt any corporation will choose to do nothing to prevent losing money if they can do something.If you drop a dollar on the ground you are not going to leave it there because you have 100 more in your pocket.I am also sure that the developers aren't happy about iso loaders and have voiced their complaints to sony.I know I wouldn't develop for a system whose company does absolutely nothing about piracy.

4)The firmware upgrades may help to against piracy of other handhelds like GBA. Although The GBA emulator we have now in not up to par, Nintendo sees this as a threat and I am positve that they weren't quiet about it. All morals aside why would the average consumer by a GBA when they can buy a psp that can play free GBA games on a larger screen and, do much more.Also why buy a GBA with ported games when I can play the original SNES games on a larger screen for free on psp.The consumer would see that in the long run that is is more cost affective to buy a psp than a GBA.

mog
February 24th, 2006, 05:34
Hmm, i recon this program is great, if you ignor the fact that idiots will abuse it.

Does this help me in any way with my problem?
I was given a lumines umd at christmas, which was bought from Game.
Lumines requires fw 1.5, but i have fw 1.0 on my psp. :(

I have tried using WAB and SXT version trickers but they couldnt make it load.
I couldnt take the game back because i dont have a receipt, so i am waiting for a program that will let me run the umd without updating my psp.

This program sounds like it could do that, and should work on a 1.0 fw psp but i know mph fw loader does not work on fw 1.0. :(

Hidavi
February 24th, 2006, 05:36
^lol. f*ck 1.00. Get 1.50.

mog
February 24th, 2006, 05:37
1.0 rules tho, none of that kxploit rubish...

Hidavi
February 24th, 2006, 05:40
^^^It rules so much that you can't play most PSP games on it.

Festizzio
February 24th, 2006, 05:43
1.0 rules tho, none of that kxploit rubish...
Uhh...why not try miemt11's simple UMD loader? Sure, it says for 1.5, but it could work for 1.0 too. Or flashmod. For Lumines, that is.

mog
February 24th, 2006, 05:57
i thought miemt11's simple umd loader just booted a umd like normal, the same way as psp does anyway... :rolleyes:

flashmod writes to the flash doesn't it? bit too risky just to give it a go and see what happens.
i asked on loads of forums whether anyone else has got it working on a fw 1.0 but i havent found anyone that has tried it on 1.0.

Festizzio
February 24th, 2006, 06:17
i thought miemt11's simple umd loader just booted a umd like normal, the same way as psp does anyway... :rolleyes:

flashmod writes to the flash doesn't it? bit too risky just to give it a go and see what happens.
i asked on loads of forums whether anyone else has got it working on a fw 1.0 but i havent found anyone that has tried it on 1.0.
Well, let me put it this way: it allowed me to run Kingdom of Paradise, Legend of Heroes, and a few other 2.0 games on my 1.5 system that wouldn't work with the version changer alone. And, flashmod only writes to the flash if you select that option. The UMD loading option doesn't even go near the flash.

mog
February 24th, 2006, 06:29
Well, let me put it this way: it allowed me to run Kingdom of Paradise, Legend of Heroes, and a few other 2.0 games on my 1.5 system that wouldn't work with the version changer alone.

Are you talking about miemt11's simple umd loader or are you referring to flashmod here?

Thanks for the advice on flashmod, i think i might give it a go.
As long as it doesnt write to flash, it shouldn't screw up my psp even if it does go horribly wrong; I should just be able to turn the psp off and it would start back up normally right? :)

Festizzio
February 24th, 2006, 06:45
Are you talking about miemt11's simple umd loader or are you referring to flashmod here?
I was talking about miemt11's simple umd loader.

Thanks for the advice on flashmod, i think i might give it a go.
As long as it doesnt write to flash, it shouldn't screw up my psp even if it does go horribly wrong; I should just be able to turn the psp off and it would start back up normally right? :)
Of course. :)

mog
February 24th, 2006, 07:03
cool, didnt think miemt's loader could do anything like that.
i have just downloaded simple umd loader 0.02, the files came in 1.5 format so i converted the eboot to 1.0 and the program ran.
i tried it with ridge racer (1.0) it loaded fine like normal. then i tried it with lumines (1.5) and the screen goes black for 3 seconds while it tries to load... but then it just takes you back to the psp shell menu :(
oh well, flashmod next

Voltron
February 24th, 2006, 14:53

That is cool indeed, I did not know that. And I am currently playing Kingdom of Paradise and Legends of Heroes so this will surely be helpful when I use 1.5 firmware.

This latest news from MPH and the upcoming SNESTYL with Multiplayer made me order a 2GB Ultra II Pro Duo yesterday. I have a question about playing a backup of a UMD game. Can you still save like normal? If you cannot save while playing an ISO backup, then its not even worth it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bluecat
February 24th, 2006, 15:01
Yes - saving is identical to running the UMD. You just need to be careful to keep track of your save data when changing memory sticks i.e. copy it over if you change back to the stock 32mb for example.

Bluecat
February 24th, 2006, 15:07
i have just downloaded simple umd loader 0.02, the files came in 1.5 format so i converted the eboot to 1.0 and the program ran.
i tried it with ridge racer (1.0) it loaded fine like normal. then i tried it with lumines (1.5) and the screen goes black for 3 seconds while it tries to load... but then it just takes you back to the psp shell menu :(
oh well, flashmod next

Just wondering, and this is a genuine question - why are you still using 1.0 rather than upgrading to 1.5?

mog
February 24th, 2006, 16:16
Not sure really... just dont see much advantage to upgrading.
From what i understand the only pros to updating to 1.5 are:
- more commercial psp games would work, probably about 50, maybe 100
- MPH FW Loader
- Flashmod may only work with 1.5 and higher
But cons are:
- No way to go back if i don't like it as much
- Need to use KXploit for homebrew
- Possibility of completely loosing my psp if update screws up

I guess one reason would be that if it randomly turns off (has before, even with mains in) while updating, my psp will get bricked and i won't be able to send it back to sony because it is a japanese psp and i am in england. Even if i could send it back, it would be returned or replaced, with fw 2.6 or higher on it anyway. :(

If MPH FW Loader or Flashmod could work on 1.0 psp's i would be able to play as many games as 1.5 can! :p

snakezinc
February 25th, 2006, 00:31
Thank you for this great program. I own GTA and now I can play it but the only thing I am dieing to know it if Ad Hoc works?

snakezinc
February 25th, 2006, 00:31
Thank you for this great program. I own GTA and now I can play it but the only thing I am dieing to know is if Ad Hoc works?

Kaiser
February 25th, 2006, 01:22
The amount of pro-piracy members replying in this thread is staggering and a little sad.

Mysteryman
February 26th, 2006, 17:16
I'm against game piracy but I would love a way to play my Socom UMD on 1.5, I just wonder if daxter and syphoon filter umds will work. Because I want those games terribly bad but dont want to update.

Mysteryman
February 26th, 2006, 17:25
well, as my bud IndianCheese 's sig says:
"1 out of 6 PSP owners bought Untold Legends...and the other 5 Illegially downloaded it....STOP UMD PIRACY"

Thats stupid, I bought the game and so did 2 of my friends did. I know dont anyone who illegally downloaded it. Most of my friends just passed it up. Because it had no storyline what so ever.

Argon0
March 2nd, 2006, 10:22
1st to answer a couple of points raised in the thread:
Someone asked:

Did Sony ever support homebrew for any console?

<erm> yes - Net Yaroze on PSone, Yabasic on PS2... Some halfway decent games came out of Net Yaroze - and most were given away free on the front of Official Playstation Magazine. In fact "Terra Incognita" (recently(?) released as PSP homebrew) was created using Net Yaroze on PS1 - I remember playing it from the aforementioned cover disk.

Further on Ender PSP says:
actually the console is cheaper than its manufacture costs Nah, it isn't, manufacturing costs for ANY electronic device are peanuts - no more than $100 per unit in PSPs case. The real cost is in the R&D - so the first x number of units will make a "loss" but once past that no. Sony are raking it in (and I'd guess that Sony are already WELL past that no.) - this is one reason the cost of consoles comes down later on in life. Well, anyway, that's how I read it...

The only reason I would play games from ISO is to check them out prior to buying them - I've played two games from ISO - burnout Legends & Starwars Battlefront. Love Legends so went and bought it, Battlefront didn't do it for me, so I didn't. I took a chance with GTA and bought it without testing, and, in this case am glad I did.

With my PS1 and PS2 I NEVER bought a game without checking out a demo beforehand. I REALLY miss this on the PSP - c'mon guys give us an "official PSP magazine" with demos on the front - or create signed demos which we CAN run from memory stick... AND/OR include demos of future games on current disks...

Finally I have noticed ONE demo out there - published on a UMD movie disk - a cutdown/customised version of WipeOut Pure on the Stealth movie disk...

darkpoetjk
March 7th, 2006, 19:05
WELL.. here is my input honestly.. I deploy A LOT.. and my PSP is ALWAYS with me.. instead of carrying all my games I have them ISO backed up to my HD at home.. ( well i did until i got 2.0 :( ) so that i didnt have to drag all my disk at once and keep track of who wanted to borrow what game....... also.. i knida like having stuff run off of the stick.. it saves a but load of battery power........ now haveing something that runs isos on 2.0 would rock.. since i don't wanna downgrade to 1.5 again... ( loose my backgrounds.. web.. stuff like that....) now.. if he makes an ISO loader for 2.0... good.. more power to him.. and to you people who keep whinning that ohhh it will create more piracy and bs.. well so what.. if he dosent do it.. someone else will and for that reason :)... so just let it be... let MPH do what they gotta do.. so the rest of us can appreciate it and move on

Elsid
March 7th, 2006, 19:07
And So it begins...